PDA

View Full Version : HOTTEST Small Rifle Primer

Sparky5019
02-06-13, 13:16
Ok, I've been searching and thinking...

Who makes the hottest/most powerful small rifle primer on the market? I believe Federal Mag primers are the hottest pistol primer (at least the large ones). While cost is important, I'm less concerned with it for this question.

Thanks!

Sparky

anachronism
02-06-13, 20:30
Most manufacturers do offer a magnum small rifle primer. I have some around here somewhere. Also available are magnum small rifle match primers from a few manufacturers. I haven't the faintest idea which company make the hottest primer though.

jstone
02-06-13, 20:40
For small rifle you generally do not need the hottest primer. You can actually cause problems by using a primer that is to hot. I do moth know of a small rifle load that uses powders slow enough to require really hot primers. Primer selection is more important than some think.

Rem 7.5 is one of the hottest available. Go to 6mmbr or i think its called accurate shooter now. They have a primer section with picks of the primer going off. The Rem 7.5 has more flame then most lrp's. You will also see other primers. How hot primers are is very subjective. Without lots of high dollar equipment you really can not know which primer is truly hotter. Measuring brisance iw possible but i have never seen a test that truly gives a definitive answer. You will get a different answer depending on who you ask. Even the pistol primer you named is just what an opinion of people.

A lot of people say the winchester lrp's and mlrp are the hottest large rifle primers, but if you look up the primers on the website i suggested you will see that the pics tell a different story. Until someone gets all the primers together for a brisance test we all will just be guessing based on what info we have.

Edit: i made a mistake go to the riflesman journal and look at the small rifle primer study. There is one for large as well that you can get to at the bottom of the page. Once you see the pics they are pretty convincing. They do not have all the primers but they have a good sample. With a large article.

jstone
02-06-13, 23:20
Most manufacturers do offer a magnum small rifle primer. I have some around here somewhere. Also available are magnum small rifle match primers from a few manufacturers. I haven't the faintest idea which company make the hottest primer though.

Nobody truly knows what press are the hottest. It would take an independent test done by a company with the ability to test brisance. We have info that we can make guesses from. People have always said win lrp's were the hottest large rifle because they did not have a separate magnum until recently. If you check out the articles from the riflesman journal they have pics of primers being set off in front of a ruler. So you can compare the jets. It is far from scientific, but without testing equipment it is one of the best comparisons i have seen.

If you look at the pics the Rem primers seem to be very hot. I use cci 400's for small pistol primers and have for a while. Small rifle and pistol primers are the same size. From the pics cci primers are not very hot. Looking at pics from the Rem 7.5 they look to be way to hot for pistol loads. They appear to be hotter than most lrp's.

Sparky5019
02-07-13, 05:10
I thought I read a similar test on pistol primers, I just did not know of any for rifle primers. I'll check that source and report what I find.

Thanks a bunch!
Sparky

Sparky5019
02-08-13, 18:54
Thanks! Still wading through all the juicy stuff here:

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/

I really appreciate the help!
Sparky