PDA

View Full Version : Did I screw up?

StR8ShOoTeR87
02-06-13, 15:41
Just purchased Tula steel case 115 grain 9mm fmj for my glock. racked the slide through all the rounds in the magazine to ensure no feeding problems and got problems. some stuck and I had to force the dam slide back hard to get it loose. any one have problems with steel cased ammo and glocks? dont wanna say what i payed, my town is running dry on ammo.

thopkins22
02-06-13, 15:46
Hand cycling rounds is a terrible and ineffective way to see if they're going to cycle.

I'll bet $5 sight unseen that they function just fine in your Glock.

StR8ShOoTeR87
02-06-13, 15:54
Hand cycling rounds is a terrible and ineffective way to see if they're going to cycle.

probly right, just never purchased steel cased ammo
heard bad reviews

thopkins22
02-06-13, 15:56
They'll work. And they absolutely will not harm your Glock.

NoveskeFan
02-06-13, 15:58
Usually a very bad idea to cycle live rounds. Take them to the range to determine functionality.

morbidbattlecry
02-06-13, 17:12
I run Tula all the time through my Gen 3 17. All of it runs like a champ.

StR8ShOoTeR87
02-06-13, 17:19
I run Tula all the time through my Gen 3 17. All of it runs like a champ.

Thats what I got, gen 3 g17. good to hear it :D

DIRTMAN556
02-06-13, 17:23
Yeah you're gun is done. I will vebe nice and take it off your hands for $100 bucks! Now seriously speaking. I have heard from both guys that never touch steel-cased to guys who use nothing but that. I only use brass. But if it works after you live fire it. Keep going I'd say.

Usually a very bad idea to cycle live rounds. Take them to the range to determine functionality.

Care to elaborate? Is it because of the higher potential of a negligent discharge? Perhaps the dented casings that could potentially cause a malfunction in the future?

steyrman13
02-06-13, 17:28
I'm curious as well. What is the difference in un-chambering a round when putting a gun away for storage or unloading the chambered round after duty? Only thing I could think of is repetitive chambering of one round causing the bullet to be pushed deeper in the case and spike pressures.

DOA
02-06-13, 18:12
My factory G17 eats it no problem but my G22 with Stormlake 9mm conversion barrel doesnt like the steel cases much.

NoveskeFan
02-06-13, 18:18
Yeah you're gun is done. I will vebe nice and take it off your hands for $100 bucks! Now seriously speaking. I have heard from both guys that never touch steel-cased to guys who use nothing but that. I only use brass. But if it works after you live fire it. Keep going I'd say.

Care to elaborate? Is it because of the higher potential of a negligent discharge? Perhaps the dented casings that could potentially cause a malfunction in the future?

Negligent discharge potential and the forces at play during live fire are not the same when hand cycling.

StR8ShOoTeR87
02-06-13, 18:27
Negligent discharge potential and the forces at play during live fire are not the same when hand cycling.

I am used to hand cycling full magz! never had bullets get stuck in the barrel and had to force the slide back to get the round out.. 1k through the g17 gen 3.

RearwardAssist
02-06-13, 18:37
I am used to hand cycling full magz! never had bullets get stuck in the barrel and had to force the slide back to get the round out.. 1k through the g17 gen 3.

Why are you hand cycling 1000 rounds through a gun? What are you trying to accomplish.

StR8ShOoTeR87
02-06-13, 18:50
Why are you hand cycling 1000 rounds through a gun? What are you trying to accomplish.

fuk no! one k through FIRING REAL bullets. I hand cycle most of my ammo before the range. So 1000 rounds through the Glock No malfunctions Yet!

RearwardAssist
02-06-13, 19:12
Well at least you didn't go that far.

Stop hand cycling every mag before you go shoot it. It serves no purpose and doesn't simulate feeding during fire.

SS1304
02-06-13, 19:20
I shot 50 out of my glock the other day and have 0 issues.

Ty_B
02-06-13, 19:24
I don't get the reason for hand cycling practice rounds. At that point, you had already bought them anyway, might as well just shoot them and see what happens.

For 'duty' ammo, LAV recommends chamber checking each round - meaning removing the barrel and dropping each round into the chamber.

hotrodder636
02-06-13, 19:37

I think this says it all.

dash1
02-06-13, 19:42
I've shot around 2500 rounds of steel cased Wolf and Tula thru my G17. They are okay, but are not for taking to a gun fight.

NeoNeanderthal
02-06-13, 19:56
Ive shot over 2k of Tula alone through my 2 gen 3, glock 17's

I've had two "Dud" rounds. (Tap Rack Bangers).

RHINOWSO
02-06-13, 20:16
Yeah, no doubt.

Dabster
02-07-13, 00:05
Not sure if this is the best place for this but I heard about and found something called Tula Brass Maxx at The large Retailer. It was about forty cents a round -not great compared to past prices but quite good in these crazy days.

It is FMJ .45 made in Italy, brass cases and non-magnetic.it us suppisedly made by Fioccii. Looks nice enough.

Anyone else?

balance
02-07-13, 00:35
Just purchased Tula steel case 115 grain 9mm fmj for my glock. racked the slide through all the rounds in the magazine to ensure no feeding problems and got problems. some stuck and I had to force the dam slide back hard to get it loose.

I guess I'll be the one to disagree. If the pistol chambered the round, and then it was hard to extract, something is wrong.

Try dropping the cartridges that were hard to extract in the chamber with the barrel off the pistol, then turn them clockwise/counter-clockwise in the chamber to see if they stick. If they do, either there is something wrong with the ammunition, or there is something wrong with the chamber dimensions of the pistol. If you've shot this pistol before, I'd suspect the ammo.

blueorison
02-12-13, 18:10
Issue with steel most don't know is not with the chambering, etc.

Steel-cased will wear your chamber and the bi-metal will wear your barrel quicker than the softer brass-cased and copper-jacketed.

However, who gives a crap, since it's a $100 Glock bbl. Though, now, it is probably not quite opportune in finding spare parts.

Regardless, the biggest concern should be feeding through your magazine. Concern yourself with the coating on the casings, and how it slows down the feeding in your magazine from the increased friction along between the cartridges and the walls and followers of your magazine.

Be smart. Don't follow. Take heed, go shoot, and observe. Don't follow. In fact, don't listen to my advice.

Go test it for yourself.

givo08
02-12-13, 22:25
Hand cycling rounds multiple times can cause bullet setback which will lead to increased pressures, possibly to the point of catastrophic failure. If you want to try it, cycle the same round over and over again and measure the oal after each cycle. Some ammo may be more prone to this then others, but you should not be hand cycling any ammo like this.

Atlshaun
02-12-13, 22:36
I dont like them, but i also have little doubt they will cycle in that glock.

jmnielsen
02-12-13, 22:53
I bought and shot an entire 1000rd case of the tula stuff and had one malfunction. It wasn't even the ammos fault, my buddy (who hasn't shot much) limp wristed it.

Edit: It was out of my gen 3 glock 19

DIRTMAN556
02-16-13, 14:23
Hand cycling rounds multiple times can cause bullet setback which will lead to increased pressures, possibly to the point of catastrophic failure. If you want to try it, cycle the same round over and over again and measure the oal after each cycle. Some ammo may be more prone to this then others, but you should not be hand cycling any ammo like this.

There we go! I knew something else was up. You can always count on the m4carbine.net community again to rectify newbies unknowns with a wealth of knowledge!

ramairthree
02-16-13, 21:17
Well at least you didn't go that far.

Stop hand cycling every mag before you go shoot it. It serves no purpose and doesn't simulate feeding during fire.

good advice.
if you are worried about out of spec ammo not feeding and ruining your day at a match or life or death,
buy a chamber gauge and drop it all in that before putting it in a mag.

Robertsk1
02-17-13, 11:27
I hate how ammo is so scarce these days... i blame all the new gun owners who freaked out. Now all we have is steel cased crap. Thank God i reload, however now bullets are hard to come by!

bigwagon
02-17-13, 11:33
If you want to check rounds for spec, remove your barrel and use it as a gauge. They should drop in and out with ease and the chance of an ND is pretty low. I would say zero, but never say never. Some people are just special that way.

jaxman7
02-17-13, 14:03
Bullet setback is very common in 115g rounds.

-Jax

themonk
02-17-13, 14:11
Should be fine. Its a GLOCK and its hungry - go shoot it

Dollylamma
02-17-13, 16:19
A fellow students glock 19 blew up right beside me yesterday on the last round. Cracked the frame, blew the mag downward, no more extractor, trigger was in pieces etc...He was running Tula. I also witnessed two squibs this past summer in the courses I attended. Once again Tula .

SW-Shooter
02-17-13, 20:18
Read this https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=124628.

officerX
03-14-13, 13:26
I'll never buy another round of Tula steel case.