PDA

View Full Version : 9mm M&Pc

NewLife2626
02-06-13, 15:47
With recent "problems" with some of the recent platforms of handguns how are the most recent m&p compacts that have been coming from the factory, are they still a good chose.

C4IGrant
02-06-13, 15:56
With recent "problems" with some of the recent platforms of handguns how are the most recent m&p compacts that have been coming from the factory, are they still a good chose.

Pretty good choice.

C4

WickedWillis
02-06-13, 16:22
Solid platform, great gun.

ddlong25
02-06-13, 17:55
Pretty good choice.

C4

In your opinion, what would be a real good or great choice?

J-Dub
02-06-13, 18:00
Want to buy one? lol.

Seriously I've had a fullsize M&P and it treated me well. I carry a glock daily and have put tons of rounds through it without a major malfunction.

If you did happen to get a lemon, I would feel confident that S&W would take care of you. But I doubt you would.

Its personal preference. Whether it be a PPQ, HK, M&P, Glock, PX, ect. They all make good guns.

C4IGrant
02-06-13, 19:35
In your opinion, what would be a real good or great choice?

Depends on what you want to use it for.

For me, I either go with a FS gun with a mag capacity of 15rds or more or I go real small (PPS/Shield) for CCW use. Guns like the M&PC and Glock 26 have little interest for for me.

YMMV

C4

wvincent
02-06-13, 22:37
Mine has been solid for the last 2.5 years, no upgrades,(except for night sights), no breakages, never a hiccup, eats everything I throw at it. However, I am making the move away from small compacts as I find I shoot a full size a lot better.YMMV

domestique
02-07-13, 05:15
I have a FS 9mm, FS .45 acp and compact 9mm.

I carry appendix so I can get away with carrying a full size, but if I would carry 3-4 o'clock than I would probably carry the compact more.

All 3 of my M&Ps have shared the same % of reliability. You honestly can't go wrong with any of the M&Ps.

domestique
02-07-13, 05:23
Depends on what you want to use it for.

For me, I either go with a FS gun with a mag capacity of 15rds or more or I go real small (PPS/Shield) for CCW use. Guns like the M&PC and Glock 26 have little interest for for me.

YMMV

C4

I agree with some of this, I personally think the M&P shield is a waste unless you are a female with really small hands. The overall height and length of the shield is not much smaller than the compact, and unless you are wearing huge cargos you cannot pocket carry the shield. The shield can carry 1 more 9mm round than my Kahr CM9, but I can pocket carry my kahr in jeans, khakis, cargos etc. all day long.

If you are a LEO you would be idiotic to carry the shield as your BUG IMHO, as the magazines between the full-size and Shield are not compatible. I personally feel the Shield fills a very small niche for someone needing a thinner pistol for usability reasons.

The benefit of the compact is you get a small package but also can use full size magazines at home or on the range for classes.

C4IGrant
02-07-13, 09:24
I agree with some of this, I personally think the M&P shield is a waste unless you are a female with really small hands. The overall height and length of the shield is not much smaller than the compact, and unless you are wearing huge cargos you cannot pocket carry the shield. The shield can carry 1 more 9mm round than my Kahr CM9, but I can pocket carry my kahr in jeans, khakis, cargos etc. all day long.

If you are a LEO you would be idiotic to carry the shield as your BUG IMHO, as the magazines between the full-size and Shield are not compatible. I personally feel the Shield fills a very small niche for someone needing a thinner pistol for usability reasons.

The benefit of the compact is you get a small package but also can use full size magazines at home or on the range for classes.

For me, if I can hide the compact, I can hide a G19 or M&P Full Size (no difference). The Shield is thinner, shorter and lighter. The weight part is key because I am probably in clothing that won't support (well) the heavier gun.

S&W designed the shield as a BUG. I do agree that as a BUG (with the primary weapon being a FS M&P), it doesn't make a lot of sense. If you think about it though, if you have to go to your BUG, your primary was more than likely shot to slide lock and all three mags were used (so it becomes irrelevant that the Shield doesn't accept that guns mags).

C4

wahoo95
02-07-13, 09:33
For me, if I can hide the compact, I can hide a G19 or M&P Full Size (no difference). The Shield is thinner, shorter and lighter. The weight part is key because I am probably in clothing that won't support (well) the heavier gun.

S&W designed the shield as a BUG. I do agree that as a BUG (with the primary weapon being a FS M&P), it doesn't make a lot of sense. If you think about it though, if you have to go to your BUG, your primary was more than likely shot to slide lock and all three mags were used (so it becomes irrelevant that the Shield doesn't accept that guns mags).

C4

I'm with Grant on this one. Since getting my Shield I no longer see a need to carry my G27. While it may not seem like much difference size wise it can be felt and I notice the small difference in comfort. So for me its either carry a FS or the Shield.

popo22
02-07-13, 11:27
When you are carrying a "Shield" as a "back-up" as an LEO, the width does make a substantial difference between the "M&P c's". Much of the time when I am carrying and in full uniform (including ballistic vest) the "c's" are just a little too thick to carry comfortably on my vest and under the uniform shirt. The Shield does fill that void so I can still carry the Shield and not have it be too obvious from outside, with the "c" it is too bulky and noticeable.

I do like carrying the "c" when not in uniform for the extra mag-capacity . "C4I Grant" is correct in my case, that as a back-up when I need to resort to the "back-up"it means that my "primary" has stopped (for whatever reason) and I need a weapon "up close and personal" or until I can get my primary back into action. Good Luck.

TriumphRat675
02-07-13, 11:31
The reduced grip length of the c when compared to the FS is the difference between carrying comfortably and uncomfortably for me. Think car seats, etc.

It also cuts down on printing for me. With the X grips on a FS mag, I don't have much use for the FS at this point.

DarrinD2
02-07-13, 12:06
For me, if I can hide the compact, I can hide a G19 or M&P Full Size (no difference).
C4

I must be carrying my M&Pc wrong because I notice a significant difference between it and a FS in my IWB holster. The M&Pc is the only compact I can carry all day comfortably. And, it may be stupid, but I don't carry my BUG anymore; instead I carry a couple FS spare mags for the compact.

C4IGrant
02-07-13, 12:19
I must be carrying my M&Pc wrong because I notice a significant difference between it and a FS in my IWB holster. The M&Pc is the only compact I can carry all day comfortably. And, it may be stupid, but I don't carry my BUG anymore; instead I carry a couple FS spare mags for the compact.

This could be. Carrying a G19 or M&P FS in the Raven Concealment VG2 (especially Apendix), you cannot find these guns.

C4

DarrinD2
02-07-13, 12:26
This could be. Carrying a G19 or M&P FS in the Raven Concealment VG2 (especially Apendix), you cannot find these guns.
C4

When I buy my M&P FS from you I'll have to give the Raven holster a shot. For now I'm happy with my Milt Sparks Versa Max for the compact.

domestique
02-07-13, 12:29
I understand the arguments for the Shield, but if you are giving up soo much already, than why not get a 9mm also that can be pocket carried?

I can carry my Kahr CM9 in deep concealment (i.e. Playing bass guitar at church) in my left pocket, and a full size or compact M&P 9mm in my normal strong side appendix position all other times.

This not only gives me a weak side BUG, but also another gun for a family member, while also carrying a spare size magazine in my left appendix.

With the shield, I wouldn't be able to carry an extra M&P magazine on my belt unless the shield was in an ankle holster or some other deep concealment holster today isn't as quick as left pocket carry.

domestique
02-07-13, 12:32

C4

Grant you carry your raven appendix? At what O'clock? I couldn't get comfortable with the Raven at appendix and find an dedicated appendix holster like Dale Fricke archangel much more comfortable.

Fwiw, I carry at 1 o'clock just right of my belt buckle.

Edit: Whoops, just saw you said the Vanguard.

C4IGrant
02-07-13, 12:38
When I buy my M&P FS from you I'll have to give the Raven holster a shot. For now I'm happy with my Milt Sparks Versa Max for the compact.

I have a VM2 holster for my FS M&P. While a nice holster, doesn't hide a gun as well as the VG2.

C4

C4IGrant
02-07-13, 12:39
I understand the arguments for the Shield, but if you are giving up soo much already, than why not get a 9mm also that can be pocket carried?

Pocket carry is out for me as it is just too hard to get the gun out. So that matters not to me.

C4

C4IGrant
02-07-13, 12:43
Grant you carry your raven appendix? At what O'clock? I couldn't get comfortable with the Raven at appendix and find an dedicated appendix holster like Dale Fricke archangel much more comfortable.

Fwiw, I carry at 1 o'clock just right of my belt buckle.

Edit: Whoops, just saw you said the Vanguard.

I carried Appendix before it was "cool." ;) While not a HUGE fan of it (especially on guns without hammers or external safety) it does give you some options (like carrying a large gun around people that are close to you). Most of the year, I carry a GEN 2 G19 in a VG2 at 3 position. You cannot find this gun on me with a Polo style shirt.

C4

ra2bach
02-07-13, 13:20
I carried Appendix before... While not a HUGE fan of it (especially on guns without hammers or external safety...
C4

MAN!!! I am so glad you said that. I thought I was the only one...

"Glock Leg" would be bad enough but holstering a striker gun pointing at my femoral or my nubblies gives me night sweats...

C4IGrant
02-07-13, 14:28
MAN!!! I am so glad you said that. I thought I was the only one...

"Glock Leg" would be bad enough but holstering a striker gun pointing at my femoral or my nubblies gives me night sweats...

Agree. When I first carried Appendix, it was a Beretta 92.

C4

domestique
02-07-13, 14:39
Pocket carry is out for me as it is just too hard to get the gun out. So that matters not to me.

C4

Darn those skinny jeans!

Danoam
02-07-13, 15:07
I wish I could try pocket carry. Big thighs run in my family. I would have to wear pants so baggy that I'd feel like a thug.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

DarrinD2
02-07-13, 15:15
I have a VM2 holster for my FS M&P. While a nice holster, doesn't hide a gun as well as the VG2.

C4

From the pics I've seen I'd have to agree that the VG2 conceals better than my VM2. But, is it as stable on the belt as a VM2? With only one loop I'd wonder how they keep it from sliding around on your belt. One thing I love about the VM2 is that it stays in the exact same belt location all day, and I can check its spot with my elbow.

C4IGrant
02-07-13, 16:52
Darn those skinny jeans!

That's right! Who invented those stupid things anyways!

C4

C4IGrant
02-07-13, 16:54
From the pics I've seen I'd have to agree that the VG2 conceals better than my VM2. But, is it as stable on the belt as a VM2? With only one loop I'd wonder how they keep it from sliding around on your belt. One thing I love about the VM2 is that it stays in the exact same belt location all day, and I can check its spot with my elbow.

The VG2 does hold a gun in position just fine. You cannot draw and re-holster with it though.

I wear a G19 with a VG2 for 8-10 hours and I have don't any issues with it moving.

C4

Trajan
02-07-13, 17:01

Only have experience with carrying a VG 2 in the appendix position for the past year, but the "pocket" prevents the VG 2 from shifting around.

My guess is as long as you have a quality belt, like the Ares Gear Ranger belt, you'll be good to go.

I will add that while I would IN NO WAY reholster a live weapon without removing the VG 2, it is possible (I have done it dry). But obviously the VG 2 is not a full sized AIWB holster, and is not designed for such an application.

sparkman
02-07-13, 17:03

C4

The VG2 rocks..(M&Pc)..

Sensei
02-07-13, 17:34
Agree. When I first carried Appendix, it was a Beretta 92.

C4

Ha! Another guy who remembers the '80s. Lethal Weapon was a great movie...;)

domestique
02-07-13, 18:00
The VG2 rocks..(M&Pc)..

Does the glock VG2 fit the M&P

Raven's website only lists Glock models.

C4IGrant
02-07-13, 19:37
Ha! Another guy who remembers the '80s. Lethal Weapon was a great movie...;)

LOL. I was a teenager in the 80's. The only HG I knew was the 92 coming out of the NAV.

C4

C4IGrant
02-07-13, 19:39
Does the glock VG2 fit the M&P

Raven's website only lists Glock models.

The Glock one doesn't, but they have some VG2's for the M&P coming out soon. I have one for T&E and it is nice.

C4

domestique
02-07-13, 20:02
The Glock one doesn't, but they have some VG2's for the M&P coming out soon. I have one for T&E and it is nice.

C4

Jealous of your perks Grant,

One question with the VG2.... how rock solid is the grip on the trigger guard? My biggest fear and reason for sticking with a holster covering the entire frame is that I envision the gun getting rocked out of the trigger holster (i.e. standing to sitting, walking up steps etc.).

C4IGrant
02-07-13, 20:13
Jealous of your perks Grant,

One question with the VG2.... how rock solid is the grip on the trigger guard? My biggest fear and reason for sticking with a holster covering the entire frame is that I envision the gun getting rocked out of the trigger holster (i.e. standing to sitting, walking up steps etc.).

I don't know that I would go rock climbing or jump out of a plane with it, but for normal day to day use, it is just fine.

Since I own my own business, I open carry most of the day in a RCS standard holster. I only use the VG2 when I will be around close proximity to other people WITHOUT the ability to wear a heavy cover garment (like when I work Church security). If I am just running to the store, etc, I just use the normal RCS holster.

C4

callen3615
02-09-13, 10:01

C4

Am I missing something?

I thought the VG2 only worked for the glocks, unless they made you one for the m&p.

I would love to try one for a m&p9c.

C4IGrant
02-09-13, 11:01
Am I missing something?

I thought the VG2 only worked for the glocks, unless they made you one for the m&p.

I would love to try one for a m&p9c.

Correct. They have a prototype one for the M&P (that a few of us have for T&E).

C4

callen3615
02-09-13, 11:05
Correct. They have a prototype one for the M&P (that a few of us have for T&E).

C4I havent seen one in person, but how much support does it give you? Does it not move around? I would think the grip would naturally bend away from your body without a holster to keep it pushed into you.

C4IGrant
02-09-13, 11:10
I havent seen one in person, but how much support does it give you? Does it not move around? I would think the grip would naturally bend away from your body without a holster to keep it pushed into you.

Works well and you can change the angle on it.

The gun is deep inside your pants that it really cannot go anywhere.

C4

callen3615
02-09-13, 11:18
Works well and you can change the angle on it.

The gun is deep inside your pants that it really cannot go anywhere.

C4

Doesnt keep the grip from protruding though right? Its pretty much a repeatable gangsta carry.

C4IGrant
02-09-13, 13:47
Doesnt keep the grip from protruding though right? Its pretty much a repeatable gangsta carry.

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/image/cache/data/VG2%20Final1260%202-500x500.jpg

C4

DarrinD2
02-09-13, 15:29
To be candid, I'm a little chubby in the gut. Would that make appendix carry as depicted in the above picture unworkable? My VM2 at 4 o'clock works best for me among current techniques until I saw appendix and it interested me. Thanks.

Trajan
02-09-13, 17:27
To be candid, I'm a little chubby in the gut. Would that make appendix carry as depicted in the above picture unworkable? My VM2 at 4 o'clock works best for me among current techniques until I saw appendix and it interested me. Thanks.

A gut won't prevent you from AIWBing.

Depending on how large you are, you may want to look into either a holster that sits really low to the belt, like a VG 2, OR a regular AIWB holster that has a wedge (which pushes the grip back into your gut).

With your firearm UNLOADED, tuck it into your waist band in the appendix position "mexican style". That's basically what a VG 2 feels like, but the trigger guard is covered (so you can cond. 1) and it is secured to your belt.

DarrinD2
02-10-13, 10:08
A gut won't prevent you from AIWBing.

Depending on how large you are, you may want to look into either a holster that sits really low to the belt, like a VG 2, OR a regular AIWB holster that has a wedge (which pushes the grip back into your gut).

Thanks much for the advise. I'm 6 foot and 220 lbs. I haven't carried for medical reasons for a couple years so I think part of the discomfort with resuming cc is that I've been off doing it for so long.

coobie
02-10-13, 19:18
With recent "problems" with some of the recent platforms of handguns how are the most recent m&p compacts that have been coming from the factory, are they still a good chose.IMHO,yes just ordered the M&P 9c this past weekend.I have the full size M&P 9mm and M&P 9 mm shield that have been flawless.coobie:D