PDA

View Full Version : How NOT To Act Before A Judge

3 AE
02-06-13, 16:39
I'll just let the video speak for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeEIxb7AnEM

Adios, juez! :D

J-Dub
02-06-13, 16:48
Life is about choices.

SteyrAUG
02-06-13, 16:58
Excellent, if she can't figure out how to act like a decent person in court then you know damn well she can't do it in public. She belongs in jail with the other scumbags.

Glad we won't be paying for her public defender.

Moose-Knuckle
02-06-13, 18:20
I recently watched two classics; Cool Hand Luke (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061512/?ref_=sr_1) and Papillon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070511/). The vast majority of Westerners this day in age have no inkling as to what punishment really is.

Sensei
02-06-13, 18:47
Excellent, if she can't figure out how to act like a decent person in court then you know damn well she can't do it in public. She belongs in jail with the other scumbags.

Glad we won't be paying for her public defender.

Funny you say that. I always thought that you were among those who wanted to empty the jails of non-violent drug offenders and decriminalize drug use. Her original charge was possession of a controlled substance (Xanax is Schedule IV). It was fairly obvious that she was high during that arraignment. I guess you now understand why many drug users belong in jail - they don't know how to act like a decent person while they are high.

GeorgiaBoy
02-06-13, 19:06
Yeah, lets just jail those who we think don't "right" "in public" on the taxpayers' tab. Surely their time spent in jail will completely eradicate their addiction/abuse of drugs, and certainly they won't do them again, get caught, and be sent to jail once again. And again. And again.

Sensei
02-06-13, 19:20
Yeah, lets just jail those who we think don't "right" "in public" on the taxpayers' tab. Surely their time spent in jail will completely eradicate their addiction/abuse of drugs, and certainly they won't do them again, get caught, and be sent to jail once again. And again. And again.

Who said that jail was supposed to eradicate their addiction? Oh, I forgot that it is the State's responsibility to rehabilitate these people with the funds that grow on our money tree.

Truth be told, I'd much rather pay for their jail cell and three squares rather than fund their Medicaid, public housing, food stamps, etc. That is because the hidden expense of their crimes while roaming society (such as larceny, DUI accidents, and child neglect) never gets added to the cost analysis in most liberal minds.

thopkins22
02-06-13, 19:34
Truth be told, I'd much rather pay for their jail cell and three squares rather than fund their Medicaid, public housing, food stamps, etc. That is because the hidden expense of their crimes while roaming society (such as larceny, DUI accidents, and child neglect) never gets added to the cost analysis in most liberal minds.

As you know, I'm wildly pro-legalization of drugs. But the key is that if we're to legalize drugs, then we must not pay for medicaid, housing, food stamps, medical expenses, nor any other cost associated with it. You want to kill yourself or ruin your health with drugs? Be my guest, but I won't pay for the consequences.

I won't speak for SteyrAug, but I had similar thoughts about the lady in question. Let's say that the drugs were decriminalized if not legal and she still wound up in front of the judge and otherwise would have been let go. Behavior like that is simply not acceptable in a court of law and is indicative of Lindsey Lohanitis.

Even though I enjoyed what the judge did and would have done the same, let's not pretend that it served to dissuade anyone from behaving that way, that she learned a lesson, or that anyone in the public was protected from a dangerous person. Nothing came out of it whatsoever other than a xanax addicted whore going to jail...where she'll likely be let out before 30 days anyway.

GeorgiaBoy
02-06-13, 19:41
Who said that jail was supposed to eradicate their addiction? Oh, I forgot that it is the State's responsibility to rehabilitate these people with the funds that grow on our money tree.

Would you rather spend for their non-productive prison sentences, or fund money to organizations who help rehabilitate and get these people off drugs and further campaign against their usage, and perhaps lower the overall drug abuse rate nationally? Surely not all would be helped, but just saying "**** it, just throw em' all in jail" doesn't help anything but increase our prison population and does nothing to curb drug addictions/usage.

That is because the hidden expense of their crimes while roaming society (such as larceny, DUI accidents, and child neglect) never gets added to the cost analysis in most liberal minds.

I miss when you called me a liberal/progressive with your old avatar. Something more cynical about it. :secret:

a0cake
02-06-13, 20:20
I miss when you called me a liberal/progressive with your old avatar. Something more cynical about it. :secret:

I think Agent Smith fits him perfectly, really. I can definitely see why you seem to identify with that character, Sensei.

7 RING
02-06-13, 20:25
Would you rather spend for their non-productive prison sentences, or fund money to organizations who help rehabilitate and get these people off drugs and further campaign against their usage, and perhaps lower the overall drug abuse rate nationally? Surely not all would be helped, but just saying "**** it, just throw em' all in jail" doesn't help anything but increase our prison population and does nothing to curb drug addictions/usage.

I agree that rehabilitation is important AFTER the person has paid their debt to society. If they are given a 5 year sentence, make the first 4 years hard labor followed by 1 year of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation is important, but deterrence is an important factor in controlling criminal behavior.

SteyrAUG
02-06-13, 20:50
Funny you say that. I always thought that you were among those who wanted to empty the jails of non-violent drug offenders and decriminalize drug use. Her original charge was possession of a controlled substance (Xanax is Schedule IV). It was fairly obvious that she was high during that arraignment. I guess you now understand why many drug users belong in jail - they don't know how to act like a decent person while they are high.

Perhaps you have confused me with somebody else.

I'm of the opinion that if a person can get high on their own property and not screw with anyone else then that should be legal. But there isn't a reason on earth why I should have to endure the various antics of crackheads, potheads or any other dipshit who needs various narcotics so they don't have to deal with what a loser they are.

SteyrAUG
02-06-13, 20:54

I'm all for the creation of a program where people like you can sponsor their own dipshit and save them from jail. We can just pay civic minded individuals such as yourself half the cost of their incarceration and you can house as many as you wish in your very own home.

GeorgiaBoy
02-06-13, 21:20
I'm all for the creation of a program where people like you can sponsor their own dipshit and save them from jail. We can just pay civic minded individuals such as yourself half the cost of their incarceration and you can house as many as you wish in your very own home.

Sigh...

3 AE
02-06-13, 21:33
Lately it appears that a General Discussion thread can escalate to a verbal beat down as quickly as comments on a You Tube video. LOL. Let's calm down a bit guys. My intent was just to show how a defendant can bring about their own demise by being flippant towards someone who obviously controls their immediate destiny. Why she was there, what the cause of her circumstance, or the solution to her problems, and societies responsibility towards her if any, was not part of my thought process. So lets play nice.

If anyone has a humorous anecdote relating to the video posted, please step forward and regale us with it. I remember about thirty years ago, I was waiting my turn in Traffic Court. The judge had just finished admonishing a defendant for his second DUI in two months. The judge asked the defendant if he had anything to say for himself before he passed sentence. The defendant cleared his throat, pointed his finger at the judge and said, "How dare you pass judgement on me sitting up there with your whiskey bloated face." OMG! You could have heard the proverbial pin drop. Everyone who was sitting in the same bench that I was, just looked at each other with shocked faces knowing we were going to get screwed when our cases came up. Yep, the judge done upgraded "that guy's" jail time in a heartbeat.

Honu
02-06-13, 21:41
Ahhhh the current young generation cant wait till they are in charge !

GeorgiaBoy
02-06-13, 21:43
Ahhhh the current young generation cant wait till they are in charge !

I think its been like that since, oh, the 1960's.

I'm sure the elders of children during that era were terrified of their "hippy" children coming of age and being in charge. :D

theblackknight
02-06-13, 21:48
Yeah ... . . but I'd still smash.:D

a0cake
02-06-13, 21:54

Herpes is forever.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-06-13, 21:59
Good for that judge! Behavior is only corrected with consequences. I can tell you that language and disrespect of that sort in jail will land you consequences of a longer stay behind bars as well, and that can come from the lowliest CO.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-06-13, 22:00

Incarceration is not a form of counseling....its a punishment.

GeorgiaBoy
02-06-13, 22:19
Incarceration is not a form of counseling....its a punishment.

Clearly...

It is a form of "punishment" that does just that, "punish", but does nothing to help people. Murders should be "punished". Robbers should be "punished". Rapists should be "punished".

"Punishing" a drug user because Big Brother Government says they can't put a certain substance in their own body is not the same thing.

There should not be such asinine laws in the first place (illegal to use a drug). If you commit a crime or cause a public disturbance because of your irresponsible drug use, then you should be "punished". But simply possessing/using a drug should not land you a seat in jail.

We have the largest prison population in the WORLD per 100K people. Drug convictions increased twelve fold from 1980 to 2010, which is responsible for 2/3's of the rise in the federal prison population since 1980.

Honu
02-06-13, 22:32

Sad :( guess somebody has to make natty hos happy ?

QuickStrike
02-07-13, 01:29

Well someone likes to live dangerously.

Seriously, a fellow might never wake up falling asleep in the vicinity of that... that.. peculiar young lady. :D

SteyrAUG
02-07-13, 01:40
Sigh...

Welcome to exactly how I feel constantly dealing with ****tards like her on a daily basis.

And I thought it was a great idea. You don't want her in jail, so why shouldn't YOU be putting up with her crap. Clearly you don't mind if the rest of us have to deal with people like her.

SMETNA
02-07-13, 03:19

You like that 10yr old boy physique eh?

Magic_Salad0892
02-07-13, 03:35

I think it's funny that nobody brought up the fact that she's a teenager.

QuickStrike
02-07-13, 05:35

Didn't pay that close of attention.

Scientific fact: On occasion, crack hos can be hard to age with any real accuracy.

Give or take 5-10 years is a reasonable guess.

Better to not approach and attempt to set up a "smashing" in the first place.

Magic_Salad0892
02-07-13, 06:00
Didn't pay that close of attention.

Scientific fact: On occasion, crack hos can be hard to age with any real accuracy.

Give or take 5-10 years is a reasonable guess.

Better to not approach and attempt to set up a "smashing" in the first place.

The fact that she's a teen is in the name of the video. Lol.

Sensei
02-07-13, 07:15
I think Agent Smith fits him perfectly...

That does have a nice ring to it, doesn't it...?

Voodoochild
02-07-13, 07:25

Sensei DO NOT start a pissing contest in here. I am already sick to ****ing death of all the butt hurt that is going on around here. It is like everyone is on PMS simultaneously.

Belloc
02-07-13, 09:41
Edit.

Sensei
02-07-13, 17:19
Sorry, but if not acting like a decent person is reason enough for a stint in prison, we are going to need a lot more prisons. Seems to be that a very large percentage of teenagers in the US are growing-up pretty much feral.

And there is a middle way between legalisation, and spending time in jail for simple possession of a controlled substance. It is all about finding the balance between justice and mercy. Our laws against using narcotics reflect that we are attempting to be a moral society. But that will quickly lead to a very dark destination without seeking at the same time to be a decent society. Personally I would keep these dangerous narcotics illegal, but eliminate very expensive prison time as a consequence for possession. Confiscation, maybe a fine, maybe some community service, etc.

But anyone who does not think that locking up non-violent offenders for simple possession of a controlled substance is not contributing to breaking the financial backs of states and municipalities needs to go look at the numbers. Not to mention the ever continuing militarisation of the civilian police.

I have no big problem with decriminalizing pot for personal use. The problem with scheduled substances and most other street drugs is that personal use often leads to other crimes and dependance on government programs.

TriviaMonster
02-07-13, 18:04
I think contempt is BS. Its the upper crust judging you and demanding respect. Its gross and quite un-American. Its only disruptive because everyone sees it and goes, "oh sheeeeittt". Justice Leaque out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Belmont31R
02-07-13, 19:32
Looks like she was high. Thats who the drugs she was on would effect a person who doesn't need them.

Don't agree with dragging into court someone who is under the influence, and then charging them with contempt.

Sensei
02-07-13, 19:47
I think contempt is BS. Its the upper crust judging you and demanding respect. Its gross and quite un-American. Its only disruptive because everyone sees it and goes, "oh sheeeeittt". Justice Leaque out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, but walking into court and telling the judge to F-himself is generally going to draw a criminal contempt charge. There has to be some controlling authority in an ordered society to adjudicate disputes and alleged infractions of the law. Our elected officials established the courts to be this authority and set into place laws that enforce a minimum decorum when we go before the court. Citizens who disagree are free to vote for new judges or representative to change those laws. However, challenging that authority in real time is never going to work without the whole system breaking down.

When it comes to this particular case, the judge would have been on more solid ground had he left the defendant's bail out of the issue of her behavior. Bail should be set to protect society and deter flight, not to affect a punishment. He should have simply added a contempt charge with minimal punishment (community service, fine, etc.) when she ignored his initial warning and said "adios." He could have then raised it to criminal contempt with jail time if she continued escalate the situation. Having said that, his procedural "mistep" does not give her license to flip him off or curse at him, so I suspect that the 30-days will stand.

Belloc
02-08-13, 06:55
Edit.

Magic_Salad0892
02-08-13, 07:16
Agreed.

Regarding other controlled substances I would still have the personal possession a non-prison stint offence, but increase the penalty for any crimes committed while on drugs.

Unless it's meth. Then they can **** themselves.

feedramp
02-08-13, 07:27
I think contempt is BS. Its the upper crust judging you and demanding respect. Its gross and quite un-American.

You don't know what American is. Or at least used to be.

It certainly isn't a country filled with these undisciplined monsters running around that we have today. Those who were never taught respect and discipline in their youth are destined for a life of selfish and often criminal behavior like hers. If they will not learn some common decency or respect for others, they should be penalized. The only alternative is to let them run rampant and we cannot have that.

Would only agree with getting rid of contempt if we could simply drop someone like that through a trapdoor into a pool of sharks with laser beams strapped to their foreheads.

:p

Belloc
02-08-13, 07:55
Edit.

SteyrAUG
02-08-13, 14:20
And today she walked in the court on live TV acting like she was "completely remorseful and couldn't believe she'd ever do something like that" and the judge did his impersonation of Santa Clause and actually went to far as to suggest she needs to get better so she can be President one day.

:rolleyes:

The absolute height of this absurdity was the judge informing her mother that she won't be able to do this without her help and she needs her. Of course this is the same mother whose awesome parenting skills produced the drug addicted asshole we saw in court in the first place.

Moose-Knuckle
02-08-13, 15:48
And today she walked in the court on live TV acting like she was "completely remorseful and couldn't believe she'd ever do something like that" and the judge did his impersonation of Santa Clause and actually went to far as to suggest she needs to get better so she can be President one day.

:rolleyes:

The absolute height of this absurdity was the judge informing her mother that she won't be able to do this without her help and she needs her. Of course this is the same mother whose awesome parenting skills produced the drug addicted asshole we saw in court in the first place.

A story such as this is what warms my heart and gives me such hope for the future of our great republic. It’s truly inspirational . . .

theblackknight
02-08-13, 16:37

Wotf, nevermind:eek:

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Magic_Salad0892
02-09-13, 05:46
Wotf, nevermind:eek:

sent from mah gun,using my sights

HAHAHA. I was waiting for that!

GeorgiaBoy
02-09-13, 20:15
Its a good thing the judge dropped the criminal contempt charge. No reason for her to live the rest of her life with the title of a convicted felon for making a foolish mistake at 18.

The_War_Wagon
02-09-13, 20:51
A story such as this is what warms my heart and gives me such hope for the future of our great republic. It’s truly inspirational . . .

It reminds ME, that they'll be running the country, when we're in nursing homes... or on ice floes - whatever the death panel decides... :blink:

Belmont31R
02-09-13, 21:02
Its a good thing the judge dropped the criminal contempt charge. No reason for her to live the rest of her life with the title of a convicted felon for making a foolish mistake at 18.

18 or not she was high as ****.

Don't drag high/drunk people before a judge so they make an ass of themselves, and get contempt. Not that hard of a concept. Let them sleep it off or wait another day if needed.

Moose-Knuckle
02-09-13, 21:08
It reminds ME, that they'll be running the country, when we're in nursing homes... or on ice floes - whatever the death panel decides... :blink:

I deal with these kinds of oxygen thieves daily, when I encounter one such as this I always remind my colleagues when we're old and confined to a nursing home these are the people that will be wiping our asses.

Comforting is it not?

SteyrAUG
02-10-13, 02:06
18 or not she was high as ****.

Don't drag high/drunk people before a judge so they make an ass of themselves, and get contempt. Not that hard of a concept. Let them sleep it off or wait another day if needed.

Why not? Let the judge see who they actually are. If you don't want to risk being ****ed up in front of the cops, a judge, etc. then don't get ****ed up. Maybe just get ****ed up at home and don't mess with anybody else.

feedramp
02-10-13, 09:50
Update:
http://www.wtsp.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=2152134650001

GeorgiaBoy
02-28-13, 17:57
Good for her. Seems to have her life turned around... for now.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Penelope-Soto-Woman-Who-Flipped-Off-Judge-To-Appear-in-Court-193015821.html

SteyrAUG
02-28-13, 18:38
Good for her. Seems to have her life turned around... for now.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Penelope-Soto-Woman-Who-Flipped-Off-Judge-To-Appear-in-Court-193015821.html

Hey man, I got this kickass deal on a quality bridge and I'm looking for a few select investors. Only interested in working with sharp people such as yourself who know a good thing when it comes along.

GeorgiaBoy
02-28-13, 19:35
Hey man, I got this kickass deal on a quality bridge and I'm looking for a few select investors. Only interested in working with sharp people such as yourself who know a good thing when it comes along.

I wasn't aware it was stupid of me for commenting on how this young lady has helped herself since her original court appearance. Nor was it stupid to say that she seems to be doing good "for now", i.e., it may not last.

But thanks for keeping me in line, Steyr. I'll be sure not to make such a mistake again.

obucina
02-28-13, 19:53
Perhaps you have confused me with somebody else.

I'm of the opinion that if a person can get high on their own property and not screw with anyone else then that should be legal. But there isn't a reason on earth why I should have to endure the various antics of crackheads, potheads or any other dipshit who needs various narcotics so they don't have to deal with what a loser they are.

I would gladly donate some used Xboxs so the bottom feeders wont have to venture out into the wild for any discernible length of time. Ive dealt with enough reefer stinkin' d-bags over the years to prefer that they just stay home and rank up faster than I.

SteyrAUG
02-28-13, 19:56
But thanks for keeping me in line, Steyr. I'll be sure not to make such a mistake again.

1. That was more sarcasm / joke / screwing with you, than genuine criticism of you.

2. The bridge really is an excellent investment opportunity. I'm gonna keep your slot open because I think you will eventually want to get onboard and I have a solid feeling about you.

GeorgiaBoy
02-28-13, 20:03
1. That was more sarcasm / joke / screwing with you, than genuine criticism of you.

Likewise. My last two sentences were supposed to be ambiguous in the event that you were just screwing with me.

SteyrAUG
02-28-13, 20:08
Likewise. My last two sentences were supposed to be ambiguous in the event that you were just screwing with me.

Gotcha. Sounded like you were taking it personal.

Anyway, have I explained the power pyramid investment structure to you?

Sensei
02-28-13, 23:09

I wasn't aware it was stupid of me for commenting on how this young lady has helped herself since her original court appearance. Nor was it stupid to say that she seems to be doing good "for now", i.e., it may not last.

Glad to see that you guys took your Flomax and Detrol LA. Meanwhile, I get the pissing contest warning...:D

Honestly, this is all a puppet show. Someone brought both of the parties together so that the court could save face. The judge was on rocky ground for linking bail to her behavior, and the girl went way over the line. All this Kum Ba Yah is just a show in a court system that seems to be 1 rung above a 3-ring circus.

alienb1212
03-01-13, 04:58
It's possible I read body language incorrectly, but it seems to me she's just controlling herself to keep herself from getting in trouble. Doesn't appear to be a change. Little flinches and a strongly forced smile that looks like she's about to take a shit in her pants...