PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof SG ammo?

jhs1969
02-07-13, 00:33
I don't worry much about rifle or pistol ammo in wet conditions, rain or submerging. But I do wonder how SG ammo would stand up to such wet conditions. What has been your'e experience or what tips do you recommend?

gobo57
02-08-13, 03:28
are you asking about taking a plunge into the drink per say? out in the rain and very high humidity with wet to some degree as far as ammo. i make sure to wipe off the rounds reloaded and have not experienced a ftf or any kind of other malfuncion. can say i have not tried to fire a round that hass been submerged in water other than a slip or fall on my part. hope this is helpful.

jhs1969
02-08-13, 10:59
Thanks, yes I was refering to exposure to very wet conditions such as heavy rain and even a possibe dunking. I know normal rifle and pistol ammo is nearly worry free in such conditions but I have no reference on SG ammo under such conditions.

c3006
02-08-13, 12:21
I have dropped shotgun shells in standing water in the bottom of the canoe,immediately picked them up wiped them off and the always fired. I doubt they could take a prolonged bath.

Freedoms Guardian
02-08-13, 23:11
Remington makes Nitro-Steel Wet-Proof shotgun ammo in 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2". Shot size choices are: BB, 2, 4, and T-Mag. Perhaps if there is sufficient demand, Remington and other manufacturers would make Wet-Proof slugs and buckshot shells for hunting and home defense? Anybody know someone at Remington Arms?

Freedoms Guardian
02-08-13, 23:17
Remington Nitro-Steel Wet-Proof SG Shells are available in 10, 12, & 20 GA.

sjc3081
02-08-13, 23:42
I had Remington 00 buck and Winchester 12g slugs submerged for 48 plus hours and they all fired. This was over 50 rounds. They were under three feet of dirty sewer water. The rounds were in a canvas bag.

longball
02-12-13, 09:38
I can't speak directly to defense rounds but I have dropped duck loads in water where they stayed for a few minutes and haven't had any issues. As for rounds in the gun during a rain that shouldn't be a problem. Again, while duck hunting I've had my shotgun exposed to pouring rain for several hours with no ill effects. I would think that devensive ammo would be subjected to even more careful sealing.