PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Nitride Coating (Where to get parts done?)

hunt_ak
02-07-13, 05:11
I'm looking at the possibility of getting a few parts coated for a few upcoming builds. This would be almost purely for aesthetics, but it's something my wife thinks is cool and I'm gonna try my best to get her exactly what she wants for her Seekins build. I may do a few parts on a fun Glock/LWD build as well if I can find the right coater.

I'm looking for TiN coating that looks like this:
https://www.allstartactical.com/files/imagecache/product_full/products/AT-BTGR1-01.jpg

and NOT this:
http://www.midwayuk.com/WebRoot/MidwayUK/Shops/Midway_UK/4F91/C262/7166/C768/9B57/0A0A/0511/BCCD/876614.jpg

!Nvasi0n
02-07-13, 05:34
A lot of times TiN coating will take on a different look with different materials...but the main component is the surface finish. It's gotta be damn good if you want it to look like your first posted picture.

Campbell
02-07-13, 06:41
Your two pics are apples/oranges...

hunt_ak
02-07-13, 06:50
Your two pics are apples/oranges...

In finished product, not in process. I'm attempting to learn what it might take to achieve the top result and where I can get it done at....

markm
02-07-13, 06:53
I'm not an expert on the subject, but in my experience TiN is garbage for coating AR parts. We had a BCG that pitted BAD in humidity.

Campbell
02-07-13, 07:47
When it comes to coatings of any kind, every part of the process influences the finished product...doesn't matter if its a rattlecan job, anodizing, or TiN. How a part is made and finished before coating determines the end result. Unlike a car hood, we can't wetsand parts this small.:D

hunt_ak
02-07-13, 07:50
Right. I understand that the substrate will affect the outcome greatly. I would be specifically wanting (possibly) to TiN coat a mega arms trigger along with possibly some glock parts that can be polished before coating. I don't think I'd worry about coating a GI style trigger like the photo on the bottom of the OP....

Campbell
02-07-13, 08:28
Roger that, I use alot of cerakote and automotive products in the shop...but have no experience with TiN. Good luck.

hunt_ak
02-07-13, 22:40
Anybody with experience on where to get this done at?

EzGoingKev
02-08-13, 16:56
I'm not an expert on the subject, but in my experience TiN is garbage for coating AR parts. We had a BCG that pitted BAD in humidity.
Was it due to the coating itself being not a good choice for that environment or due to something the applier did incorrectly?

I used to have the chrome tubes on motorcycle forks TiN coated to reduce stiction/friction and never had any issues. Now it is all DLC coated.