PDA

View Full Version : Should i trade my SCAR 17 for a Colt 901?

M-FOURTEEN
02-07-13, 10:48
So here's my story. I was one of the guys who was super pumped about the 901 and have had one on order since July. Been a Colt fan/lover my whole life. Never had my order fulfilled which i was ok with as i tend to be a patient character and didn't mind waiting. Then Sandy Hook happened.

The day after it happened i checked on my Colt and still had no ETA, so i went to my local gun store to see what they had and i ended up coming home with a New FN SCAR 17 in FDE.

Have shot around 100 rounds through it, and absolutely love the SCAR. Amazing platform.

This brings me to why i decided to get some feedback from you guys. I was recently asked if i would trade the SCAR for a NIB Colt LE-901. Now, this is the gun i have been after for a long while. My white whale of sorts. As you can imagine, it's no easy call as i had no idea how great the SCAR is.

I have yet to handle a 901 but i am definitely an AR and Colt lover but at the same time love the FN. I have my ear to the ground, what do you guys think? Any 901 owners have any input? :help:

d90king
02-07-13, 10:57
No way I would consider that unless there was a decent chunk of cash coming back your way. Not to mention I think the SCAR is a better weapon to have long term. The Colt will be a dime a dozen dow the road...

horseman234
02-07-13, 11:03
I hesitate to reply, as I haven't shot the 901, but have handled one in the store. I think the 901 and SCAR are very different weapons. The 901 seems much heavier and less nimble to me, and I think the SCAR's strong point is it's lightness for a 308.

ra2bach
02-07-13, 11:06
accuracy on either?

Auto426
02-07-13, 11:11
I own neither platform, but I don't think I myself would make that trade. In my mind the guns are unique enough that I could justfiy saving some money and buying the Colt at a later date. However, I have always fancied myself as more of a collector and I enjoy having a variety of different guns.

That said if I was limited to a single choice right now I would probably stick with the SCAR. The aftermarket has started to catch up for it and its a more proven platform at this point. The Colt, on the other hand, is still relatively new and I don't think anyone can definitively say that's its GTG to just yet. It also doesn't have the same level of aftermarket support yet, and while some standard AR parts like stocks and FCGs will work with it, your still limited to the factory upper and barrel at this point.

TXBob
02-07-13, 11:13
There are 2 levels in competition here:
A functional level--is the SCAR roughly the equivalent to the 901. Functionally, mission wise I think the case can be made that they are equal. Both are high quality. A 308 AR does not have the parts interchangability that a 556 AR does, so the advatages of the AR platform are largely negated, but there is a SMALL advantage to the 901 Platform wise, although the SCAR is catching up with parts/triggers/barrels.

Personal Level--this is the "fanboy" section (I realize that is a very strong term, but its gotten very bad lately). Some people have brand loyalty and have to have a "Colt" There is nothing wrong per-se with being a "fanboy" as long as you realize that is a not material to the function of the weapon.

So if you must have a Colt then you are going to get the Colt despite anything we say here.

But function wise, I do not see much advantage to a switch, particularly if you already enjoy the SCAR.

Money wise the difference is $500-600 in a normal market which may double in the current market (I haven't seen any 901s for sale, used SCARs are regularly selling for 4-5000). So a straight up trade will cost you $1000 or so in loss of collateral value. (Aka I don't think the 901 is worth as much monetarily as the SCAR).

That's half the price of a 901, if and when they become more avilable. Thats a big IF, even with the winds blowing our way. I know I come off as very anti-Colt, but when I look at a firearm, I try and look without emotional attachment to the company. You have the SCAR, no one will dispute that it is a quality weapon. Why do you need the 901, and I say "need" as this is a seller's market, not a buyer's market. You are a buyer. Bad time to make a purchase unless you really need it. And frankly I just don't see it.

RHINOWSO
02-07-13, 11:28
Nope, absolutely not.

jmnielsen
02-07-13, 11:38
I would much rather own the SCAR than the 901, but I guess it depends on what your plans are for the rifle. Just a range toy? Using for hunting? All of my rifles I also want to use for hunting, which for me equates to lots of walking through the Sandhills. So the lighter the better for me. I haven't held a 901 but if it weighs anything like a DPMS LR-308 then I would hate carrying it. My brother has an LR-308 and he bitches all day when we go hunting about how heavy it is.

markm
02-07-13, 11:42
The value of dumping a non-standard gun is high in my book. Negotiate the 901 and some cash or something.

Frens
02-07-13, 11:57
I own neither platform but I would do the trade.

Crow Hunter
02-07-13, 11:59
While I have neither shot nor handled a Colt 901, I have shot a SCAR 17 a lot and own a Larue PredatAR in .308 which I ASSume is similar to the 901.

From a value standpoint. No.

The SCAR has a much higher chance of going up in value because it has a higher change of being banned from importation AND is in actual use by the military right now which gives it value to collectors.

From a use standpoint. Yes.

My sample in direct comparison to a AR based rifle was less accurate and harder to shoot well in comparison. Since the Colt is produced in the US and the lower is serialized there may be more options during a future ban. It also uses a "standard" magazine type that fits more weapons and will be more likely to be in greater supply in the future. (My brother sold his SCAR 17 mags for $130 each on Gubroker).

All of this is my opinion of course.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't do a straight across trade, I would want some cash to sweeten the deal if I felt that the 901 would do what I wanted it to do better than the SCAR 17 did.

I had the option of either at a very STEEP discount and I chose the AR pattern.

TXBob
02-07-13, 12:19
I had the option of either at a very STEEP discount and I chose the AR pattern.

I'd like to point out (not to disagree with your analysis) that the situation in slightly different here. If it was a pick SCAR or pick 901, all things being equal, get the 901.

However, this ISN'T the situation. OP already has a SCAR. So the question becomes: Is it worth it to switch? How much is the switch worth to OP? That is a very different question than pick a SCAR or 901.

MadAngler1
02-07-13, 17:22
Absolutely not. I would not give up my SCAR-H even for a Knight's ECC. The SCAR is a far better battle rifle than the Colt 901. If you told me you were trading it for a precision rig (like a Larue OBR), then that would be a personal choice based on what you want to do and your budget.

M-FOURTEEN
02-07-13, 18:03
Thanks for all the input guys. Seems that most here say to keep the SCAR which does not sound like a bad idea. Has an excellent track record and man, it is fun to shoot. I do miss the non-reciprocating charging handle though, in time i will adapt.

Haven't heard too much about the 901's other than a few short reviews online and from what little i hear, guys are raving about them. They are definitely not an easy one to find, that's why i really had to mull it over and get some fresh ideas from you guys. Thanks again. Very interesting thread.

scottryan
02-07-13, 21:45
The SCAR has a much higher chance of going up in value because it has a higher change of being banned from importation AND is in actual use by the military right now which gives it value to collectors.

This is the correct answer.

Importation ban could be imminent any day.

I would rather have a SR-25 than a 901. The 901 is a novelty and I am not that excited about it.

Auto426
02-07-13, 22:16
Nevermind

Magic_Salad0892
02-07-13, 22:43
I would not go through with the trade.

It could collect value if an import ban was targeted.

Alaskapopo
02-08-13, 00:27
The value of dumping a non-standard gun is high in my book. Negotiate the 901 and some cash or something.

The SCAR is issued to many in our armed forces. It is a standard gun. Its also one of the most extensively tested military rifles out there and most of all its reliable. Something I could not say for the AR10 type guns I have owned before. Stay with the SCAR.
Pat

Frens
02-08-13, 02:34
oh and if you're looking for detailed info about the 901, there's a long thread about it on TOS > Industry > Colt forum

Inviato dal mio Samsung con Tapatalk 2

Magic_Salad0892
02-08-13, 03:00
Plus in terms of AR-10s...

KAC SR-25 > CM901.

At least on paper. I've actually only shot the CM901 like one time. (My girfriend's dad just bought one a few months back, and hopefully I'll get some more trigger time on it.)

RHINOWSO
02-08-13, 07:57
While I love my SCAR 16 & 17, something to consider is your magazine situation after I think about things... On the surface I'd still say no, the 17 is much better than a 901, but think about your mag situation...

How many do you have for the 17? They are hard as hell to find right now and going for $150+ at stores and on auction sites.

Do you have any compatible mags for the 901? If not, how much would it cost to get them?

I still prefer the SCAR to the AR platform although I've never shot / handled a 901. I think in the end it will be a good platform but honestly the verdict isn't out yet on the 901, but it is a Colt so I imagine they'll make a solid product / platform.

So think about your magazine situation as well. If you are light on 17 mags and can get mags for the 901, it might make sense to trade (with some cash coming to you). That way if a magazine ban happens, you are covered. And if nothing happens, you could always go back to the 17 later on.

Just something to think about...

M-FOURTEEN
02-08-13, 10:07
While I love my SCAR 16 & 17, something to consider is your magazine situation after I think about things... On the surface I'd still say no, the 17 is much better than a 901, but think about your mag situation...

How many do you have for the 17? They are hard as hell to find right now and going for $150+ at stores and on auction sites.

Do you have any compatible mags for the 901? If not, how much would it cost to get them?

I still prefer the SCAR to the AR platform although I've never shot / handled a 901. I think in the end it will be a good platform but honestly the verdict isn't out yet on the 901, but it is a Colt so I imagine they'll make a solid product / platform.

So think about your magazine situation as well. If you are light on 17 mags and can get mags for the 901, it might make sense to trade (with some cash coming to you). That way if a magazine ban happens, you are covered. And if nothing happens, you could always go back to the 17 later on.

Mags are certainly an issue. I did however buy three extras when i got the SCAR. Total of 4. Ideally i would like to have 10 but i, like many others simply cannot afford to shell out $150 per mag. You would think FN would be trying to get as much product out to the public as fast as they can considering the political temperature here in the states.

I have seen some 'new' 901's on Gunbroker which clearly state on the box "2013 Configuration". I hear they changed a few parts on the 2013 models, not sure exactly which parts though.

RHINOWSO
02-08-13, 11:12
Mags are certainly an issue. I did however buy three extras when i got the SCAR. Total of 4. Ideally i would like to have 10 but i, like many others simply cannot afford to shell out $150 per mag. You would think FN would be trying to get as much product out to the public as fast as they can considering the political temperature here in the states.

I have seen some 'new' 901's on Gunbroker which clearly state on the box "2013 Configuration". I hear they changed a few parts on the 2013 models, not sure exactly which parts though.

Well, since you have 4 mags, I would stick with the 17. I have 10 fortunately and also ordered 4 Thermold mags for the 17 for @ $20/each. Initial reviews weren't good, but lately they seem to be good - definitively good enough for range / bench shooting.

Auto426
02-08-13, 15:23

I believe Colt's 2013 configuration only applies to certain models, and really it's just about the accessories included in the box, no the guns themselves. For example, instead of a carry handle rear sight on certain flat top upper models I believe Colt is now shipping a Magpul MBUS. I think they also switched to including Pmags instead of the 20 round aluminum mags they used to include, and I think they ditched the sling they used to include as well.

Alaskapopo
02-08-13, 15:26

Before the scare 17 mags were down to $40 at Brownells. I have 9 standard mags and 1 23 round aftermarket mag.
Pat

d90king
02-08-13, 16:21
Don't forget about the 25 rounders that are getting ready to be released by Molon Labe that look promising...

ryr8828
02-08-13, 18:27
Don't forget about the 25 rounders that are getting ready to be released by Molon Labe that look promising...
Promising is the word. They've been promising to ship them for a long time.
They also promised that the 69.99 price on their website meant nothing, yet everyone's been paying 69.99 for something they have yet to see.

Reeper22
02-08-13, 21:03
I was in a very similar situation. I had been following the 901 since it was announced with plans to get one as soon as I could. I had always been intrigued by the SCAR platform but never really had the intent to get one. Then Newtown happened and I only had 2 weeks of leave before leaving for Korea (a week of which was spent on a cruise). In my mind it was 901 or SCAR in that order. So I had extremely limited time to make a purchase. At this point even if a 901 popped up online I wouldn't have time for the transfer. So I called every LGS looking for either the SCAR or 901. I live in a LGS rich area and found exactly one SCAR 17 in fde. I immediately drove there and bought it and it was not cheap. About $3150 before taxes. I stood in line for about 30 minutes and watched 7 ARs get sold while two other jackals fondled my soon to be SCAR but fortunately were turned off by the price tag. When I got to the counter I asked to see it. I did a quick inspection and functions check then told them to wrap it up.

Now I'm happy I did. The SCAR is a unique, quality, and all around awesome weapon. I was always interested in the 901's ability to swap uppers but after researching and finding out you needed multiple adapters it did not seem as viable. I think you will be happy with the SCAR. I also believe FN is coming out with more options. I know they took off the reciprocating ch on the FNAC. It may be possible that they offer a kit for other SCARs later on if that ends up being and issue for you. Plus when you shoot the SCAR at the range everybody wants to give you high fives.

TacticalSledgehammer
02-08-13, 22:25
I'd keep the scar

JoshNC
02-08-13, 23:32
Keep the SCAR.

RHINOWSO
02-09-13, 14:58
Before the scare 17 mags were down to $40 at Brownells. I have 9 standard mags and 1 23 round aftermarket mag.
Pat
I have 10 FN Factory magazines as well, 9 of them purchased before I got my 17, for an overall average cost per magazine of about $42 each (3 for $50/each and 6 for $37 each)

RHINOWSO
02-09-13, 15:01
I'll wait to see if they ever deliver... it's been 6+ weeks since they said they were going to ship and the owner seems to strike me as not so forthcoming with information, if not downright lying to people.

They magazines are about 2 inches longer than factory FN mags (both 20 rounders), due to the magwell dimensions. The 25rds haven't been pictured yet and should be another 2" longer as well... Might start making shooting prone a PITA...

And if they keep the price at $69.99 (which they said wasn't going to be the price), I'll take FN mags all day and twice on Sunday when they become more available again.

RHINOWSO
02-09-13, 15:04
I was always interested in the 901's ability to swap uppers but after researching and finding out you needed multiple adapters it did not seem as viable.
Everyone touts multi-caliber ability on weapons, but when you need to spend at least 50% of the cost of another weapon to have the upper / barrel or whatever to do it, I find that I much prefer just having another complete firearm (be it rifle / pistol / etc).

scottryan
02-09-13, 23:20
The whole multi caliber modular thing is a fad that is on its way out, and Colt is too late for the show.

The multi caliber modular thing is also a solution to a government bureaucracy inventory and property control problem, that doesn't exist the the real world.

Changing barrels and calibers is a pain in the ass. It is easier to just have another gun.

These modular parts are expensive and you have to pay nearly the price for another complete gun.

The modular multi caliber thing is a way to have a .308 and .223 rifle that share as much common parts as possible for inventory purposes and ease of armorer servicing. It is not intended for you to change configurations in the field.

Most next generation assault rifles are also bloated in size because they are .308 rifles that have a .223 configuration.

The SCAR, ACR, XCR are all .308 size guns. Look at their upper receivers and how big, wide, and tall they are.

An AR-15 is much narrower compared to a .223 SCAR or .223 ACR. Its receivers are just big enough to handle a .223 round and no bigger.

GNXII
02-10-13, 09:14
Having shot both platforms although not extensively, I'd go for the Colt 901.From a logistics point of view if an importation ban does happen, everything in regards to spare parts for the SCAR will become difficult to find and of course pricey! I have a few friends with decent collections of rifles purchased before the assorted import bans were implemented and now they are on an endless search for spare parts to support there platforms. The rifles that are banned from importation are valuable but to a niche market. For me I don't like not having a readily available supply of spare parts for a rifle, especially if you shoot it alot ij training and its your go to gun.
As an aside, for HD role, each one of my buddies with there awesome collections to a man, uses a Rem 870 or Mossy 500 in 12GA!!

scottryan
02-10-13, 09:54
Having shot both platforms although not extensively, I'd go for the Colt 901.From a logistics point of view if an importation ban does happen, everything in regards to spare parts for the SCAR will become difficult to find and of course pricey! I have a few friends with decent collections of rifles purchased before the assorted import bans were implemented and now they are on an endless search for spare parts to support there platforms. The rifles that are banned from importation are valuable but to a niche market. For me I don't like not having a readily available supply of spare parts for a rifle, especially if you shoot it alot ij training and its your go to gun.
As an aside, for HD role, each one of my buddies with there awesome collections to a man, uses a Rem 870 or Mossy 500 in 12GA!!

That is why you don't actually use the SCAR. It is a collectable.

Any guy using a pre-import ban gun and trying to find parts for it is a moron. None are better than an AR-15. They shouldn't have been using them in the first place.

An SR-25 is better if you want to actually use the gun.

GNXII
02-10-13, 11:27
Some folks like to shoot their guns and not pickle them. Maybe not in a high use situation like a class etc. but perhaps plinking. Some folks collect and keep them NIB forever. Either group does what makes them happy. We should respect both types, IMHO.

MountainRaven
02-10-13, 12:14
SCAR.

It took how long for KAC to square away their DI .308s sufficiently that LAV would recommend them? A decade, decade an a half? And that's KAC. KAC is quick and nimble and reacts quickly to the market. Colt is slow. Sure and steady, but very, very slow.

The only other .308s that LAV is fond of are the FAL and... the SCAR.

I recommend that one review LAV's comments on DI .308s before purchasing one.

ETA: If you're concerned about not getting parts down the road due to an import ban, shoot it now. If something happens to the parts supply, then you can stop shooting it. And even shot, its value will sky-rocket.

VooDoo6Actual
02-10-13, 12:30
SCAR.

Vash1023
02-10-13, 12:37
keep the scar

RHINOWSO
02-10-13, 15:48
That is why you don't actually use the SCAR. It is a collectable.

Any guy using a pre-import ban gun and trying to find parts for it is a moron. None are better than an AR-15. They shouldn't have been using them in the first place.

An SR-25 is better if you want to actually use the gun.
People who actually thought ahead and use the SCAR actually have spare parts for them. Not easy, but it wasn't really that hard either to get them. Sure I need more and the AR platform will always have more parts available, but still...

And yes you can shoot the SCAR and use it.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/FN%20SCAR/673F8BFB-C6D0-4690-882B-0A3C965FDAD2-19543-000005166F508A20.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/FN%20SCAR/D2B8C8E3-D412-4597-9BCC-9D4ED7220E16-19543-0000051663A310B3.jpg

M-FOURTEEN
02-10-13, 17:28
That's one thing i should state: I bought the gun to be a shooter. I definitely use my guns and hate the thought of putting the SCAR away, but do see the reasoning for doing so.

Shot another 200 rounds today in the 17. What a sweetheart the SCAR is.....Really incredible how little recoil there is.

Moved the charging handle to the right side, its not nearly obtrusive (to me ) than the left side. Big plus!

Overall, the SCAR is a keeper and one of the best rifles i have ever fired.

scottryan
02-10-13, 21:22
My point is the SCAR should not be your "go to" gun.

A well equipt AR-15 would serve the average person better for a number of reasons.

RHINOWSO
02-11-13, 06:31
My point is the SCAR should not be your "go to" gun.

A well equipt AR-15 would serve the average person better for a number of reasons.
And those reasons are????

Alaskapopo
02-11-13, 12:06
And those reasons are????

Well his shop does not sell SCARS so he makes money on the AR's.
Pat

RHINOWSO
02-11-13, 16:04
Well his shop does not sell SCARS so he makes money on the AR's.
Ah, that makes sense then. I forget sometimes peoples wallets have an affect on what they recommend.

I'm sure the 901 will work out great, but it's hard to argue that it is more "proven" than a SCAR 17...

Squid
02-13-13, 19:50
Am I the only person with a complete spare parts kit for the SCAR? Here's a hint: It's another SCAR.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1790/dsc08152o.jpg

QuickStrike
02-13-13, 22:34
If Markm saw this, he would tell you to keep the SCAR because it has a piston, and pistons are not gay. :D

Seriously though i would keep the scar, it's a vetted 308.

kcara
02-15-13, 22:03
Keep the scar. It is a nice looking weapon.

DiabhailGadhar
02-15-13, 22:20
When the 901 has been issued to SEaL'S and can deal with the level of abuse those guys throw at them and then I'd say make the trade. until then KEEP THE SCAR!;)

Not saying anything negative about the colt just saying that the scar is a combat proven platform. the 901 is not.

M_Rapp
02-15-13, 22:20
I have only shot a SCAR once and it was very hard to give it back.. Then I found out about this option:
http://www.ammoland.com/2012/08/handl-defense-scar-lower-receiver/#axzz2L24YWrsG
A PMAG compatible lower...

Wouldn't that combo be sweet? :)

DiabhailGadhar
02-15-13, 22:26
I have only shot a SCAR once and it was very hard to give it back.. Then I found out about this option:
http://www.ammoland.com/2012/08/handl-defense-scar-lower-receiver/#axzz2L24YWrsG
A PMAG compatible lower...

Wouldn't that combo be sweet? :)

well it wasnt really...it was, i think $300 and when they finally released it mags for the scar werent being quite the issue to get..that is until the CT shit happened and now it might be again.

RHINOWSO
02-16-13, 09:07
Handle lowers have had some QC issues. Parts fitting the lower were one, and premature bolts locking back was the other.

With 10 FN mags in hand and 6 more FN / 4 Thermolds shipped to me, I'm sticking with the factory lower for now.

Paid an average of $41 per FN, $22 per Thermold (for bench shooting, and to be honest I ordered them before I got the other 6 FN mags, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered).

Jaws
02-16-13, 16:22
Yep. Just keep the SCAR. It's different.:D

JaketheSnake
02-18-13, 09:03
SCAR 17 is a SOCOM approved weapon correct?

So a SCAR 17 for Colt's wet pipe dream about a mult-caliber firearm?

Keep your SCAR 17 and stock up on mags when their in stock...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RHINOWSO
02-18-13, 12:12
No is still my answer.

1911-A1
02-21-13, 11:52
Before I bought my SCAR17, the KAC SR15 E3 was my holy grail. I got the SCAR after a lot of reading, and it seemed like a solid choice for a 7.62 gun. It had impressive accuracy in a battle rifle format, was lightweight with a folding stock and the vetting from the military community was a bonus as well. I thought it would be a good choice for that .308 gap in my collection.

However, after I bought it, I was amazed at how well the gun handled, how light it was, and how minimal the recoil felt. Simply incredible. I wasn't expecting to be nearly as impressed with it as I am. In some ways, I'm waiting to find the "catch", but so far the only drawback seems to be lack of mags and spare parts.

I could have made quite a bit of money in the last weeks by selling it, but I didn't even consider it.

I've since acquired an SR15, and it's a fantastic gun, but the SCAR17 stole all its thunder. :(

RHINOWSO
02-21-13, 12:10
If I could only have / keep one rifle, it would be my SCAR 17.

FlyingHunter
02-21-13, 19:12

I'm with you on that choice

kcara
02-21-13, 21:28
Keep the scar:smile:

QuickStrike
02-22-13, 04:27

+1. IMO it's a very good general purpose kind of gun.

RHINOWSO
02-22-13, 07:32
Here piggy piggy...

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/FN%20SCAR/4C40EB79-C19C-4A61-B266-001D1DE6F8FE-453-0000001070CF2CCA_zps60291c14.jpg

M-FOURTEEN
02-22-13, 10:08
Here piggy piggy...

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/FN%20SCAR/4C40EB79-C19C-4A61-B266-001D1DE6F8FE-453-0000001070CF2CCA_zps60291c14.jpg

What scope and charging handle do you have on that? Looks good. The gun, and the pig.

RHINOWSO
02-22-13, 14:27
Stryker Enterprises EACH is the charging handle.

IOR Valdata 1.5-8x in ADM QD mount is the optic.

Dirtyboy333
02-25-13, 00:40
I believe Colt's 2013 configuration only applies to certain models, and really it's just about the accessories included in the box, no the guns themselves. For example, instead of a carry handle rear sight on certain flat top upper models I believe Colt is now shipping a Magpul MBUS. I think they also switched to including Pmags instead of the 20 round aluminum mags they used to include, and I think they ditched the sling they used to include as well.

Interesting, last time I read about the 901 (couple months ago) they
Were inuding them with nice high quality Troys upon the 901's release. I guess it doesn't surprise me though.