PDA

View Full Version : G'zOne phone.....anyone own one???

BCmJUnKie
02-07-13, 13:14
I have been using the Casio Ravine for the past 2 years. Its quite the tank. Hands down the toughest phone I have ever used.

The phone is absolutely solid. I am a big texter, so I use it for that more than anything.

After 2 years, some of the finish has worn off the keys I use most, that is to be expected and the wear is not too bad considering.

My question is, I am ready for an upgrade and I looked at the Ravine 2 yesterday. Anyone here an owner???

Is texting or calls the same?

I messed around with it for a few minutes and alot of the buttons are the same and do the same function.

I would like to know if durability, ruggedness, texting, etc. is the same or better, worse.

Thanks all

Belmont31R
02-07-13, 21:00
A bit of tech junkie, and they are widely regarded as crappy. Totally bastardized OS and get zero support. You are better off getting a regular phone with something like an Otterbox and or a Lifeproof case.

All phones are sensitive electronics. No matter the case or original design don't intentionally or carelessly beat them to shit. Circuit board connections can snap with hard impacts.

I have an Iphone 5, and at most have a simple snap on shell. Most of the time naked. Most phones Ive had have a snap on shell (mainly just for texture) and Ive never lost a phone to dropping one or dunking it or washing it. My wife, on the other hand, has washed 3 phones of hers and dropped 2 to the point they didnt work anymore. Its all about not being careless and 'aware' of where your phone is. I also rarely 'cant find my keys'.

Get a real phone, and if you want basic protection get a shell case or something like an Otterbox if you want more protection. Then just have basic sit awareness and you'll be GTG.

HES
02-07-13, 21:29
Physically they are good to go. I made my moron business partner get it because, well he was a moron and needed an tough, water resistant phone. One night he dropped it into a pitcher of beer and we laughed when the bartender flipped out. However software wise it sucked. Sadly he was a moron and lost that too while fishing. He discovered that for all its toughness, it sank like a rock.

For most phones, like Belmont said, get an Otterbox or Seidio Active case.

If you have an iPhone of Samsung Galaxy SIII Seidio has ther Obex (sp) line that reportedly is water tight and offers great protection

If you are with Sprint, I cant remember the brand, but they now have a phone (just released) that has the physical toughness of the G'Zone

subzero
02-07-13, 21:44
I can't imagine paying money for a dumb flip phone, and Verizon still charges 199 for this stupid thing. That is absurd. Pretty sure you can get one on ebay for 100. I'd personally rather have a smartphone in an Otterbox, but that's just me.

That having been said, they are the issue dumb phone at work, and the people I know who have them say they live up to the rugged rep. The biggest complaint I've heard is the buttons are a bit too sensitive. One guy says his pocket is buzzing or beeping all day as the buttons get pushed in his pocket. That would be annoying.

Belmont31R
02-07-13, 21:53
Physically they are good to go. I made my moron business partner get it because, well he was a moron and needed an tough, water resistant phone. One night he dropped it into a pitcher of beer and we laughed when the bartender flipped out. However software wise it sucked. Sadly he was a moron and lost that too while fishing. He discovered that for all its toughness, it sank like a rock.

For most phones, like Belmont said, get an Otterbox or Seidio Active case.

If you have an iPhone of Samsung Galaxy SIII Seidio has ther Obex (sp) line that reportedly is water tight and offers great protection

If you are with Sprint, I cant remember the brand, but they now have a phone (just released) that has the physical toughness of the G'Zone

My wife uses my old s3 and have a variety of shells and such. The otter box commuter is really good on that phone.