PDA

View Full Version : Man shot after attempts to subdue him fail

Boom
06-09-06, 12:57
Man shot after attempts to subdue him fail

Man shot after attempts to subdue him fail
Police said the 20-year-old Clearwater man was threatening them with a sword.
By LORRI HELFAND, Times Staff Writer
Published June 9, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLEARWATER - Clearwater police shot and killed a 20-year-old Clearwater man wielding a sword Thursday night after a "less lethal" bean-bag projectile failed to subdue him, authorities said Friday.

Joshua Paul Rosenbloom, of 200 Fairwood Avenue, Apt. 8, was pronounced dead at Bayfront Medical Center in St. Petersburg about 90 minutes after the incident.

Both officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave during the investigation.

The event began about 6:30 p.m. when Rosenbloom's female roommate called Clearwater police, concerned that the 20-year-old was possibly suicidal, officials said. The woman, who was not identified, told the police Rosenbloom had taken pills, was armed with a sword and she feared he would be dead by the time police arrived.

When officers entered the second-floor apartment, Rosenbloom was behind a closed door, police said. Officer Robert Furman was carrying a shotgun that fires the beanbag projectiles. Officer George Phillips was armed with his department-issued .40-caliber handgun.

Within seconds of entering the apartment, Rosenbloom confronted the officers with the sword, police said.

Furman fired one bean-bag from his weapon; the projectile struck Rosenbloom in the chest, but he was not subdued, according to police. Then Phillips shot him at least once with a department-issued .40-caliber handgun, and Rosenbloom fell to the floor.

"The officers used restraint and took the action they believed necessary," said police spokesman Wayne Shelor.

Clearwater Fire Department paramedics treated Rosenbloom before he was flown to Bayfront, where police said he died during surgery.

Clearwater police said three separate investigations will examine what happened. Internal affairs investigators will determine if the officers' actions complied with department policies and general orders. Detectives are investigating the shooting, and the Pinellas-Pasco State Attorney's Office is conducting its own investigation.

Well I Guess the S&W 40 works. CWPD also carries the new taser but I not think this called for nothing less then deadly force.

Pat_Rogers
06-09-06, 13:23
You are correct. When faced with Deadly Physical Force, the key is to go up the ladder (so to speak) not down.
To many administrators (and apparently some cops) just don't treat edged weapons seriously enough..

Hobbes
06-09-06, 13:56
I have had more than one person look at me with total shock when they ask me if I would really shoot someone that "only has a knife" I then preceed to explain to them why knives can be so dangerous...

Stickman
06-09-06, 23:22
Any cop who has done serious time on the street has seen more than enough victims who lost a knife fight. It isn't pretty.

Being inside an apartment, you are far to close to be playing around. I'm glad it worked out for the officers, it could have been ugly.

Boom
06-10-06, 11:31
Any cop who has done serious time on the street has seen more than enough victims who lost a knife fight. It isn't pretty.

Being inside an apartment, you are far to close to be playing around. I'm glad it worked out for the officers, it could have been ugly.

All of you guys are correct. That's why I posted it, I wanted to remind guys that knifes are the most underrated weapons out there. I've seen my share of guys that lost knife fights. Stick is right it's not pretty.

I hope CWPD reviews the way it handles people with edged weapons. I would say it was a very close call. A bean bag would not be my weapon of choice from the beginning, room distances are way to short for people with knifes let alone swords. I'm glad to see both officers walked away unharmed.

Patrick Aherne
06-10-06, 23:03
These officers tried to stop this wingnut with a SIM. I know that it was dangerous for the officers, and probably not tactically advisable, however, the public is not going to accept us just shooting every suicidal suspect with a knife just because it's dangerous for the officers.

If cops shot every suicidal suspect we could legally shoot, you could stack the bodies like cord-wood.

The public expects us to take risks; we try to save lives. Somewhere, in between all this BS, officer safety is one concern and in my experience, often the last concern.

Eurodriver
03-26-16, 06:06
These officers tried to stop this wingnut with a SIM. I know that it was dangerous for the officers, and probably not tactically advisable, however, the public is not going to accept us just shooting every suicidal suspect with a knife just because it's dangerous for the officers.

If cops shot every suicidal suspect we could legally shoot, you could stack the bodies like cord-wood.

The public expects us to take risks; we try to save lives. Somewhere, in between all this BS, officer safety is one concern and in my experience, often the last concern.

This mentality seems to be missing from M4C lately. This is a very, very good point.