PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry question.....

duece71
02-08-13, 06:20
All,
I have an Ohio CC permit and I travel quite a bit for work. Lets say I am driving a rental car in CA or NY and get pulled over for speeding. In Ohio, I have to immediately notify the officer that I have a CCWP and if I am or am not carrying. What would happen in CA or NY in this case? If I notify the officer like I am supposed to, could something bad happen (arrested)??

mnoe82
02-08-13, 07:25
Its your responsibility to know the laws of the state you're in. I would recommend looking for a concealed carry app for your phone. There are many good ones available. The one i use most often is called CCW by Workman Consulting. It lists whether or not you have a duty to inform the officer and other frequently asked ccw related questions. It also shows what states offer reciprocity with Ohio.

You can and will be arrested if you're in violation of their laws. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

mikelowrey
02-08-13, 08:30
All,
I have an Ohio CC permit and I travel quite a bit for work. Lets say I am driving a rental car in CA or NY and get pulled over for speeding. In Ohio, I have to immediately notify the officer that I have a CCWP and if I am or am not carrying. What would happen in CA or NY in this case? If I notify the officer like I am supposed to, could something bad happen (arrested)??

I believe NYS does not give courtesy for out of state CCW, I know for sure NYC does not so you'll be getting locked up.

I always recommend people coming to NY to leave it at home as is better to avoid any problems.

Safetyhit
02-08-13, 08:58
Under that circumstance you still can not carry in New York, state or city.

Wake27
02-08-13, 09:17
The app I use, Legal Heat, is saying the same for CA. They don't accept any other state's permit.

Alex V
02-08-13, 09:20
Nice interactive map of recisprocity: http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

DarrinD2
02-08-13, 09:35
If you want to get formal, and ensure you're following the law, get an "legal opinion" from the Attorney General's Office on the issue for the states you'll be travelling through. If you rely on it and still get arrested it would be a defense to any prosecution. The other ideas above are good, but if you want to be sure go to the agency that says what the law really is; not some laptop attorney like me. . . .

CarlosDJackal
02-08-13, 09:46
Before I travel outside my state, I visit the: Handgun Law Website (http://www.handgunlaw.us/) and research their respective laws.

I like this website because they include printable reports for each state that also contain links to that State's Attorney General website or Criminal Code so you can verify what they have posted.

I keep a printed copy of the applicable laws for each jurisdiction I plan on visiting in my car as a ready reference. Good luck!!

duece71
02-08-13, 20:46
All,
Sorry, I should have been more clear. When I am travelling for work, I won't be actually carrying a firearm using my CCW permit. My question is what to do because I have a CCW permit. Does having a permit in Ohio show up in their computer?? I am not actually carrying, but I have the permit. Does the officer assume that I am carrying and am therefore in violation of a states law? Let me reiterate.....Me having a permit to carry concealed in the state of Ohio WILL show up on the computer screen when they run my licence even though I am driving a rental car, correct? Sorry for the confusion.

duece71
02-08-13, 20:49
If you want to get formal, and ensure you're following the law, get an "legal opinion" from the Attorney General's Office on the issue for the states you'll be travelling through. If you rely on it and still get arrested it would be a defense to any prosecution. The other ideas above are good, but if you want to be sure go to the agency that says what the law really is; not some laptop attorney like me. . . .

Every state I could be travelling through could be ANY of the lower 48. I haven't been to Alaska yet so that could be a possibility at some point.

Bulletdog
02-08-13, 21:47
An out of state CC permit is not valid in CA or NY. If you get pulled over for speeding in CA and tell them you have a gun, you will likely find yourself face down on the pavement with several ill-trained cops holding you at gunpoint with fingers on triggers. (Not an exaggeration.) Then you'll get some shiny new matching bracelets and a free ride downtown to get fingerprinted, sit in a cell with some great smelling new friends, and they might let you call your lawyer, if they are in a good mood and get around to it.

I use the above listed sites when I drive across the country. Every state is different. To be legal, I occasionally have to pull over, unload and lock up the guns and ammo, and cross through the "unfriendly" state. Then pull over, unlock, reload and re-holster in the states that still have some damn common sense.

... and get a radar detector, so you won't have to deal with getting pulled over. Just take it down when you cross through Virginia.

Add on: oh, and I forgot to tell you that you'll never see that gun again. Or any other guns in the car they find while they tear your car apart and throw all you stuff all over the shoulder of the road or the parking lot of the impound yard.

Iraqgunz
02-08-13, 22:30
I would have it secured per that states regulations (unless it's not required) and I would keep my yap shut. Seems to have been working for me.

SteyrAUG
02-08-13, 22:35
All,
Sorry, I should have been more clear. When I am travelling for work, I won't be actually carrying a firearm using my CCW permit. My question is what to do because I have a CCW permit. Does having a permit in Ohio show up in their computer?? I am not actually carrying, but I have the permit. Does the officer assume that I am carrying and am therefore in violation of a states law? Let me reiterate.....Me having a permit to carry concealed in the state of Ohio WILL show up on the computer screen when they run my licence even though I am driving a rental car, correct? Sorry for the confusion.

I think that would fall under "none of their ****ing business."

I'm a licensed machine gun dealer in FL, so long as I don't bring any into NY it is "none of their ****ing business." When they ask if I have any "drugs, guns or anything illegal in my possession" the answer is "No."

And that is usually the best answer to these kinds of questions "I have NOTHING illegal." They don't need to know about what you legally own in another state.

AKDoug
02-08-13, 22:38
All,
Sorry, I should have been more clear. When I am travelling for work, I won't be actually carrying a firearm using my CCW permit. My question is what to do because I have a CCW permit. Does having a permit in Ohio show up in their computer?? I am not actually carrying, but I have the permit. Does the officer assume that I am carrying and am therefore in violation of a states law? Let me reiterate.....Me having a permit to carry concealed in the state of Ohio WILL show up on the computer screen when they run my licence even though I am driving a rental car, correct? Sorry for the confusion. There is no requirement to tell them a thing if you are not carrying.

Mac5.56
02-09-13, 00:17
NY state does not honor any out of state CCW permits period. To carry CCW in this state you must go through our states permitting process, and to be honest I don't even know if they allow out of state permit applications.

Before Cuomo ****ed us x2000, the permitting process was handled by local Sherifs departments but now I guess it is the State Police, but there is no rhyme or reason, and no one, I mean no one knows what is going on.

I can tell you this though: Before Cuomo's "not so" SAFENY law, the only way an out of stater could legally transport a pistol in the state was if it was in a locked safe within your vehicle. Taking that pistol out of that safe at any point, unless at a state sanctioned competition location, was a felony.

IE don't bring your ****ing pistol to NY.

If I was to sum up how to travel in NY or California, or New Jersey, or any of these stupid states at the moment it would be: If you feel you need to carry a gun to protect yourself and you honestly believe in your 2nd Amendment rights, then bring the gun but realize that if you need to use it, or you are caught with it you will be a poster child of the "evil gun owner" and you will be hung out to dry by legal teams that take on organized crime and currently have a ****ing hard on for raping legal gun owners. Be self righteous, but be prepared to spend the rest of your life embroiled in legal action. If you're rich, I encourage you to come here because we need your high paid lawyers to straighten this shit out.

duece71
02-09-13, 05:45
There is no requirement to tell them a thing if you are not carrying.

This is what I was hoping for. I can't carry while I am at work, it just isnt feasable. When a police officer pulls my record via his/her computer in the cruiser, the fact that I have a CCWP does or does not show up on the computer. I know it shows up in Ohio, I just was wondering if it occurs nationwide.

duece71
02-09-13, 05:48
NY state does not honor any out of state CCW permits period. To carry CCW in this state you must go through our states permitting process, and to be honest I don't even know if they allow out of state permit applications.

Before Cuomo ****ed us x2000, the permitting process was handled by local Sherifs departments but now I guess it is the State Police, but there is no rhyme or reason, and no one, I mean no one knows what is going on.

I can tell you this though: Before Cuomo's "not so" SAFENY law, the only way an out of stater could legally transport a pistol in the state was if it was in a locked safe within your vehicle. Taking that pistol out of that safe at any point, unless at a state sanctioned competition location, was a felony.

IE don't bring your ****ing pistol to NY.

If I was to sum up how to travel in NY or California, or New Jersey, or any of these stupid states at the moment it would be: If you feel you need to carry a gun to protect yourself and you honestly believe in your 2nd Amendment rights, then bring the gun but realize that if you need to use it, or you are caught with it you will be a poster child of the "evil gun owner" and you will be hung out to dry by legal teams that take on organized crime and currently have a ****ing hard on for raping legal gun owners. Be self righteous, but be prepared to spend the rest of your life embroiled in legal action. If you're rich, I encourage you to come here because we need your high paid lawyers to straighten this shit out.

Roger that, I have family in NYC and I have never even considered carrying when travelling to see them. Especially now.

duece71
02-09-13, 05:50

I'm a licensed machine gun dealer in FL, so long as I don't bring any into NY it is "none of their ****ing business." When they ask if I have any "drugs, guns or anything illegal in my possession" the answer is "No."

And that is usually the best answer to these kinds of questions "I have NOTHING illegal." They don't need to know about what you legally own in another state.

Ok, I won't even mention it then. It is a requirement to inform the officer if I am stopped in Ohio, I didn't know if that is true in other states as well, even if my licence is for Ohio. Thank you.

SteyrAUG
02-09-13, 15:51
Ok, I won't even mention it then. It is a requirement to inform the officer if I am stopped in Ohio, I didn't know if that is true in other states as well, even if my licence is for Ohio. Thank you.

Even in Ohio it is only required IF you are actually carrying at the time. Also I suspect the actual statute states you must acknowledge and provide your carry permit and state ID upon demand. I'd be careful just announcing "I have a gun" when coming into contact with local LEOs.

In fact I'd avoid the word "gun" completely. A handy phrase when asked is "I am lawfully armed, would you like to see my carry permit?" and then WAIT for instructions before doing anything with your hands (which should be visible.)

duece71
02-11-13, 06:23
Good advise, I haven't been stopped lately, I'll try to remember that in the future.

glocktogo
02-12-13, 20:49

This. The 2nd part if required is "You do not have permission to search my vehicle." Be polite, be professional, but don't answer any questions not related to the traffic violation. They do not work for you and they do not have your best legal interest at heart. :)