PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Here

Wahooo03
03-09-08, 20:24
Just checking in to say a quick hello. I'm new to the AR platform, been a M1a shooter for a while, and picked up a Stag stripped lower to do a build before president hillary obama is elected. I have a good friend who is going to give me a hand with assembly, so for now, its just a matter of components. From what I've read here and on ARF, I'm going to plonk down the cash for a LMT MRP upper toward building a nice CQB carbine (or midlength - 16"?). It's the sheer volume of all the choices for everything else that's both exciting and mind-numbing. I'm all about reviews and recommendations at this point, so fire away :D

MEC

TBomb
03-09-08, 22:44
Just checking in to say a quick hello. I'm new to the AR platform, been a M1a shooter for a while, and picked up a Stag stripped lower to do a build before president hillary obama is elected. I have a good friend who is going to give me a hand with assembly, so for now, its just a matter of components. From what I've read here and on ARF, I'm going to plonk down the cash for a LMT MRP upper toward building a nice CQB carbine (or midlength - 16"?). It's the sheer volume of all the choices for everything else that's both exciting and mind-numbing. I'm all about reviews and recommendations at this point, so fire away :D

MEC

Welcome to the forums!

The LMT MRP upper or Noveske N4 Light Low-Profile upper would both be great choices. The N4 with a pinned flash suppressor would give you 16" total length. The barrel itself is 14.5" and the Vortex gets you to 16", which is the shortest you can go without going the NFA route. Most people will tell you that the N4 barrel is the best one out there for a hard use carbine. That being said, I'm planning on plopping down the cash for one of the LMT MRP Piston uppers when they become available.

Wahooo03
03-09-08, 22:56
Ya, I'm all about the LMT. One of the reasons I'm going that route is because of how modular that upper is. Do you know if having the pinned FH on the 14.5" makes swapping barrels a PITA?

MEC