02-08-13, 10:56
Didn't see this posted here yet...

http://www.winchester.com/library/news/Pages/product-recall-556mm-m855.aspx

skydivr
02-08-13, 13:06
Have to check that tonight thanks!

Shao
02-12-13, 07:16
More people should know about this... this could affect the safety of forum members:

Olin Corporation, through its Winchester Division, is recalling one (1) lot of its 5.56mm M855 62 Grain PENE centerfire rifle ammunition.

Symbol Number: ZGQ3308
Lot Number: WCC10M106-004

Through extensive evaluation Winchester has determined the above lot of 5.56mm M855 ammunition may contain incorrect propellant. Incorrect propellant in this ammunition may cause firearm damage, rendering the firearm inoperable, and subject the shooter or bystanders to a risk of serious personal injury when fired.

Sounds scary...

T2C
02-16-13, 08:19
This is good safety information and should be easily accessed without too much searching. Is there any way it can be made a sticky?

Shao
02-16-13, 09:06
This is good safety information and should be easily accessed without too much searching. Is there any way it can be made a sticky?

Agreed... There should definitely be some kind of recall sticky. If Winchester is messing up batches, I'm sure other manufacturers are too. Maybe not all of them report it. People could report defective ammo to warn others as well... If they live through it.

brass_m8kr
02-17-13, 21:08
Just searched for the Symbol Number to see if this info was published here yet, and found this thread. (Hey, IRAQGUNZ, some of us do know how to use the search function!)
I have 900 rounds of this batch that I ordered from Midway in Feb 2012. Got a letter and an email from Midway with the bad news. I discarded the original box and repacked in a surplus ammo can. Now what am I gonna ship this back in? That original box was well built. You think UPS will ship an ammo can? For my trouble, I'm gonna demand Winchester replace it with current Lake City manufacture M855. Federal quality control is much better. Think this will work?

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk 2

Bret
02-18-13, 15:58
You think UPS will ship an ammo can?
Yes, if you pack it in a box. Don't forget to put a couple of ORM-D Cartridges Small Arms stickers on the box. Winchester will provide you the shipping label.

For my trouble, I'm gonna demand Winchester replace it with current Lake City manufacture M855. Federal quality control is much better. Think this will work?
No. They'll replace it with ammunition that they manufacture or import (think IMI).

Shao
02-18-13, 16:22
Yes, if you pack it in a box. Don't forget to put a couple of ORM-D Cartridges Small Arms stickers on the box. Winchester will provide you the shipping label.

They may... I once had a bunch of stuff shipped to me using UPS that was in a Surefire Hellfighter hard case with two padlocks on it.

brass_m8kr
02-26-13, 23:19
Not too long ago, I would regularly ship gear in pelican boxes either to coworkers or back to the manufacturer for calibration/repair. Talk about character! These things are beat up, scarred, scratched, old shipping labels on top of old shipping labels, looking like they have spent more time in the belly of a Boeing then they have on the ground. But I just have this image in my head of the UPS guy scratching his head while looking at the OD ammo can sitting on my door steps with "UPS Pickup" on a post-it. I would say I will let you know how it ends, but I found the original box so the mystery remains. Winchester says 4 weeks give or take for replacement.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

DBR
02-27-13, 13:21
When was this ammo manufactured?

brass_m8kr
02-27-13, 15:00
Cant say for sure. And I did not inspect the headlamp close enough to remember if it had a date code. And may not have known what I was looking at. There was no 2 digit number like PC does. The email from midway said I may had purchased it between December 2011 to April 2012 so possibly the earliest they would have received this lot would have been December 2011???? I ordered it in late January 2012 after receiving an email solicitation in the normal "HURRY! LIMITED QUANTITIES. WHILE SUPPLIES LAST, etc." I received it early February. Lot of speculation in there but hope satisfied your curiosity. Something I thought was odd, when I called Winchester and told them had received the email and letter from midway, the Rep only asked if the symbol began with ZGQ and if it packaged in stripper clips and sleeves. I replied yes and at that all he wanted to know from that point was my name address and phone.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

texasgunhand
01-29-14, 22:49
wrong place to post....