PDA

View Full Version : doublestar

limppy
03-09-08, 21:49
have been looking to buy this as my first ar its a doublestar at centerfire for $699 . question is how do these rifles rate or compare to others on the market.

bigghoss
03-09-08, 23:25
what do you want ot use it for? casual weekend shooter or do you want to get more serious with it? I don't know much about double star but I bet you could do better for not much more money.

you could always buy a seperate upper and lower half or even assemble it yourself, it really easy, and get a well known rifle for the same scratch. then you could say you put it together yourself.

check out the "knowledge base threads" sticky thread in the AR general disscusion and give it a really really good read before any purchase

limppy
03-09-08, 23:47
not planning on going to war any time soon just wanna punch some holes through paper every now and then. i have looked at rra stag and dpms as well but price of the double star is a couple hundred cheaper than the others from what i have read they claim to be mil-spec but as i said in the first post this will be my first ar just don't wanna end up with a p.o.s.

exitinyourhead
03-09-08, 23:59
I own a RRA Tactical gun that I payed 799.00 for on sale. It's been trouble free and a good and accurate shooter (red dot 50 to 100 targets and plinking.) Cool thing about AR's is there isn't a "ton" of difference in price between "cheap" ones and "nice" ones. Everybody has their ideas on what is good and what is not but I asked around when purchasing mine. RRA was reccomended by a few people and I was happy with my purchase.

One thing about it though.. I want to upgrade it constantly with different stuff so maybe the cheapest mill spec gun that is truly "mil spec" is the way to go, since your just gonna dump money into it all the time anyway.

Who knows for sure, but I do own a rock river and I am super pleased by it. i'll bet, if you shop, you could get one very close to the price of the doublestar.

bigghoss
03-10-08, 00:07
well the guys around here will tell you that DPMS sucks. mine that I've had only a short time so far has worked great for weekend plinking and is very acurate but they don't have a very good reputation.

stag might be a better routeof the ones you've listed. my buddy has an RRA that has had and few cases get stuck in the chamber wich I'm pretty sure was a result of him mixing steel-cased wolf with brass cased ammo

like I said read that sticky thread and do some research before the purchase

personally now that I've found out how to build one from scratch my next and probly every AR I'll ever have from here out I'll assemble instead of buying one. I'm kind of kicking myself for not looking into building one more and going that route instead of buying the used DPMS I have. I could have built a new one for the same price.

Combat_Diver
03-10-08, 06:33
My company bought 71 DoubleStar carbines for our contract in Iraq. These guns are running great and haven't had any major issues. A few stuck front sight posts that took some time and work to move. Since we ordered the guns in a lot with a dead line some of the parts are not milspec as they didn't have all the parts on hand (bayonet won't fit on lugs, non-mil spec buffer tubes). We put alot of rounds down range gearing up for the deployment. These guns quality was better then the used SIG 226 pistols we got (20+ out of 71 had loose front sights).

CD

ETA: the barrel are of course not mil spec as they use a 1:9 twist and the barrel is not parkerized under the front sight base.

ETA: My old 16" 1:9 bbl got blocked by UKs UTM training rounds. Swapped out with a M4 14.5" 1:7 bbl and now I can attach my pig sticker.

sonrider657
03-10-08, 06:36
The Koolaid-drinking gun snobs will tell you that anything other than Colt sucks but my experience with DoubleStar has been excellent. My DS carbine is accurate, reliable, and solidly built.

Seek recommendations from those who have actually OWNED a DoubleStar and you will find that we are very satisfied.

http://www.christiancarnivore.com/DoubleStar.jpg

tiger seven
03-10-08, 08:06
My thoughts:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=12020

Derek

Don Robison
03-10-08, 09:01
As I take a sip of kool-aid, I would agree with those that put them in the low end of the quality spectrum. If you want a plinker most anything will work for a while.

wezalsgunsupply
03-10-08, 19:54
I dont have a lot of experiance with Doublestar complete guns. The lowers seen to be good quality and well priced. We are building a new rifle currantly with one of their lowers. Very good fit and finish. I would not reccomend a Dpms, decent quality for a weekend warrior. But some good some not so good. A little more money and you can have a better rifle. A complete Double star rifle has a good price tag and will probly work fine until or if you upgrade later on. I have had a lot of Rock Rivers. Tight fit and held up well. Good accuracy. Leave Olympic Arms alone. Had problems with durability. But their barrels have been great shooters for groups. You can build a great rifle for less than $800 bucks. And know what you have and know you done it yourself. These rifles are an addiction that has no cure. Just read up and make your choice