PDA

View Full Version : I finally got the Glock I always wanted...

Yojimbo
03-09-08, 22:12
I told my wife we were only going to stop by the gunstore to take a look and what do you know, they happend to have the M&P9 I wanted without the mag disconnet.

After I let the wife handle it with the small backstrap installed she "Oh, this is nice you should get it!" Well, I just can't no to my wife...:D

I've already put about 1000 rounds through a couple of M&P9 rentals so I've already tasted the M&P Kool-Aid. It was just a matter of time. I've always thought the M&P was how I've always wished the Glock would be.

However, I still wish S&W would make a mid-sized M&P9 that between the full sized and compact models that would be the same dimensions and capacity as a Glock 19.

I'll be sending in the S&W rebate for the two free mags and the $50 cash back. I should be okay sending in a copy of the receipt, right?

I will also be getting new sights for it and I'm considering either the Warren Tactical or the 10-8 with the .140" wide notch. Right now I'm really leaning towards the 10-8 rear sight because it looks like it would be easier to use to rack the slide than the Warren Tactical.

As far as front the front sight goes I leaning towards a tritium dot with a white outline. However I'm very interested in the red fiber optic front sight like the one GotM4 has on one of his M&P's.

I looked at one of the red fiber optic front sights it was almost like having a red dot sight. Do the red fiber optic sights give-up much in low light environments compared to a tritium sight? The other concern I had was that the fiber optic sights would be less durable, is this assumption true?

Lastly, no thread like this is complete without a pic .

"My precious...":cool:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/P3090010_Large_.JPG

tkoglman
03-10-08, 00:51
Fiber optic sights dont work well in low light. The ones that work the best are the ones with the longest, most exposed rods and are therefore the ones most prone to break.

I think the best way to go is the tritium with the white outline. The best are the ones where the white outline is a plastic insert under the lens (Meprolight and Ameriglo) vice white paint (Trijicon). The silver ring around the tritium vial is horrible as it can glare badly.

rob_s
03-10-08, 04:12
I also used to prefer the tritium with white outline, but I'm really digging the fiber optic front I put on the girlfriend's G19 with the Warren rear.

I always operated under the notion that the fiber optic would be more fragile as well, but for me I'm willing to take that risk for the much improved sight picture.

Lumpy196
03-10-08, 08:51
You'll get the .45 next ;)

Yojimbo
03-10-08, 08:55

LOL:D ...The only question is thumb safety or not?

BTW, have any of you guys got the Burwell trigger job? If so what did you think?

Sam
03-10-08, 09:30
I've only felt one trigger that was done by Mr. Burwell. It had a crisp let off and positive reset. The reset was more noticeable that the factory vague feel. I recommend his trigger job.

NCPatrolAR
03-10-08, 09:36
BTW, have any of you guys got the Burwell trigger job? If so what did you think?

Have Burwell trigger jobs on 3 of my M&Ps. There isnt a better trigger job out there IMO (and yes; I've tried other people's trigger jobs).

SHIVAN
03-10-08, 09:42

I have it with, and would suggest without so you can get the CT laser grips for the M&P.

I love the Burwell trigger job!! The reset travel was cut in half, or so, and the break was lightened by a lot.

Robb (gotm4) has an EXCELLENT trigger job done on his M&P that I thought was very good, but may not be for everyone, due to the reset feel. I'll let him describe it....

rubberneck
03-10-08, 09:44
I always operated under the notion that the fiber optic would be more fragile as well...

I personally don't think it is that big of a deal. Even if the fiber optic falls out you still have plain black iron sights in place. If you do run a fiber optic make sure to put a drop of super glue on the fiber rod where it enters and exits the sight. The only way that sucker is going to come out is to grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers and yank on it. I have an EGW sight of my IDPA gun and it is now in its third full season of use with no problems. It has survived thousands of draw strokes, thousands of rounds and getting smashed into the occasional prop or two.

markm
03-10-08, 10:06

I'm going to have to come down south and shoot yours. I don't know anyone with and M&P... let alone a .45 :(

Trim2L
03-10-08, 10:35
I also used to prefer the tritium with white outline, but I'm really digging the fiber optic front I put on the girlfriend's G19 with the Warren rear.

I always operated under the notion that the fiber optic would be more fragile as well, but for me I'm willing to take that risk for the much improved sight picture.

Same for me. The coated Hi-Viz front sight is working as advertised after 1K rounds and I shoot much better than with the white ring Tritium.

DM-SC
03-10-08, 11:54
The Dawson FO front sight on my G34 was installed back around 2003. It has been shot in a LOT of matches and has seen a LOT of range use. It's alos been used as a CC gun from time to time...just because I could. It also has the original FO rod. :cool:

Hawkeye
03-10-08, 12:02
Excellent. Most Excellent. :cool:

M4arc
03-10-08, 19:35
It's about time you got one :p

Akoni
03-10-08, 19:51

If I was doing it again, I'd pass on the thumb safety. For me it's really not in a good spot (too much 1911 memory). I haven't sent out my M&P yet but I guess if I don't sell it, I'll send it off to DB for a 3.5/olive equivalent type job. The stock M&P triggers leave a lot to be desired IME so far.

Hawkeye
03-10-08, 20:00
I have one M&P 45 with the thumb safety, and one without. Honestly, I like them both, but the one with the thumb safety has really become my favorite.

As for the trigger, hold off until you have at least 1000 rounds through your new one. My coyote 9 is now approaching 1000 rounds, and the trigger has changed/improved significantly. Definitely enough that I dont feel like I need to send it off for any trigger work.

Yojimbo
03-10-08, 21:36
Thanks everyone for the advice!

Hawkeye,

Yes, I plan to wait until I got a good numer of rounds through it before I do any mods. Perhaps after 2k, I'll see what needs to be done.

Jay Cunningham
03-10-08, 21:50
As for the trigger, hold off until you have at least 1000 rounds through your new one. My coyote 9 is now approaching 1000 rounds, and the trigger has changed/improved significantly. Definitely enough that I dont feel like I need to send it off for any trigger work.

Roger that, I probably dry-fired my M&P45 close to 2000 times before the recent Vickers M4C class and when I let Templar dry fire it he couldn't believe it hadn't had a trigger job.

That being said, the reset could stand to be sharpened up - gotM4 let me try his and the reset was very distinct.

Hawkeye
03-10-08, 21:54
Roger that, I probably dry-fired my M&P45 close to 2000 times before the recent Vickers M4C class and when I let Templar dry fire it he couldn't believe it hadn't had a trigger job.

That being said, the reset could stand to be sharpened up - gotM4 let me try his and the reset was very distinct.

Dangit all. That reminds me I wanted to check out GotM4's for that very reason and slap forgot to. :mad:

Trim2L
03-11-08, 00:33
I have one M&P 45 with the thumb safety, and one without. Honestly, I like them both, but the one with the thumb safety has really become my favorite.

The M&P trigger is so easy to rework its silly. $30 in tools or $65 for a Smith, either way its better than suffering through 1K rounds of heavy trigger pulls.

Hawkeye
03-11-08, 07:15
The M&P trigger is so easy to rework its silly. $30 in tools or $65 for a Smith, either way its better than suffering through 1K rounds of heavy trigger pulls.

Its also silly to alter the trigger, unless you have to, to get it where you want it. It's going to be shot anyway, or at least it should, so why not wait and see if it smooths out to an acceptable level before changing anything? If shooting 1K rounds through a stock M&P is "suffering" .... well, not sure what I can say. I must be a masochist. :D
Now, I understand that the factory triggers arent right where some people like their trigger to be, but it seems like this trigger thing is getting blown out of proportion. These arent VP70 triggers or something.

NCPatrolAR
03-11-08, 07:17
IME firing the gun will help smooth out the trigger, but it doesnt do anything to help mkae the reset more positive. This is where the trigger jobs come into their own.

Hawkeye
03-11-08, 07:32
IME firing the gun will help smooth out the trigger, but it doesnt do anything to help mkae the reset more positive. This is where the trigger jobs come into their own.

No argument there, as the reset could certainly stand to be a little more pronounced. That is something I am considering myself, but I am still not getting anything done until I have at least 1K or more on each one of mine.

Trim2L
03-11-08, 08:19
Its also silly to alter the trigger, unless you have to, to get it where you want it. It's going to be shot anyway, or at least it should, so why not wait and see if it smooths out to an acceptable level before changing anything? If shooting 1K rounds through a stock M&P is "suffering" .... well, not sure what I can say. I must be a masochist. :D
Now, I understand that the factory triggers arent right where some people like their trigger to be, but it seems like this trigger thing is getting blown out of proportion. These arent VP70 triggers or something.

I have 3K rounds through my M&P since I bought it after Christmas. You can slice it how ever you want but the trigger has been perfect since about the 100rd mark (I shot a few mags before I tore it down). My trigger was 8 pounds new and felt like a ratchet (my two compacts were the same). "Suffering" may not be the right word but to wait it out wasn't in the cards. Like I said, doing a trigger job, correctly, on an M&P is very easy so there is no real reason to wait 1K to see if it smooths out or wears in.

ETA: The reset and overtravel are perfect now too, not just the weight.

98z28
03-11-08, 19:35
I too have found that the trigger pull smoothed out and the reset is more positive with rounds downrange. Maybe I am just used to it now? I don't think so, but I have fooled myself into believing things before.:D It settled in just about perfect right around 800 rounds (with a boatload of dry fire). Which worked out great because I was thinking about sending it off to get the trigger worked on after around 1K. No longer.

Razoreye
03-12-08, 22:37
I dry fired mine in excess well over 5k times. Didn't do much. I did the trigger job and it is hundreds of times better. After another 4k or so dryfires, it has improved even more but just a tiny bit. I still need to get to that plunger to complete it but shooting the gun and dryfiring it did not help mine at all.

<-- constantly dryfires my M&P