PDA

View Full Version : New guy needs help

solopatrol
03-10-08, 00:37
I have just joined the forums but have been readed them for around two weeks. I think its a great place for info. I just got a S&W M&P15A. I really need advise in chosing optics, rails, and front grip. I narrowed the optics down to aimpoint comp3 or eotech ? model. I think i want a troy di rail(don't want a ff). Tango down front grip with a simple viking light mount. This is my first AR and i'm just learing about the different set ups. I will be using it as a patrol rifle in a rough town of around 55,000. We always rank top 3 per cap in crime rate. It's a large urban town in a rural area. We sadly have had several active shooters but mostly i will need it patrol and perimeter. I been an LEO for ten years but never used rifles until now. All help would be graetly welcomed and appreciated. thanks in advance.

Jay Cunningham
03-10-08, 00:44
Welcome to the forum.

Why is it that you don't want a free floated rail?

solopatrol
03-10-08, 00:47
I think its mainly for ease in changing set ups without gunsmith.

R1pper
03-10-08, 00:57
If you are going to use your rifle on a grab and go basis, I would go with the Aimpoint. you can stow your rifle in your patrol vehicle with the optic turned on and when the situation presents itself you will be good to go and not have to try and turn the optic on while running towards the incident or trying to fire.

As for as the Troy stuff goes, it seems to be very well made stuff for the money but I really have no experiences with it. The only thing I really know about them is a MA State Trooper owns the company and thier new location is about a 10 min drive from my house.

The Tango Down VFG seems to be the way to go a vast majority are runing them, that is what I am running on my set up and I am very pleased (but that is just my lowly opinion).

You mentioned that you work in a "rough" town, where about are you located state/city wise. hope this helps you and stay alert and stay safe.

-DM-

solopatrol
03-10-08, 01:01
thanks for help. Im in arkansas. nice town of pine bluff.

R1pper
03-10-08, 01:06
Hiring??????

Eric
03-10-08, 02:08
Solopatrol,
Glad to hear that your agency has adopted the patrol rifle. I consider it to be one of the better tools in the toolbox. It sounds like you putting a lot of thought into your setup.

Troy makes a great rail. If you decide that your interested in an easy to install FF rail, the Daniel Defense Omega is a two piece user installed rail that a lot of folks like. The Aimpoint Vs EOtech decision is a matter of personal preference, but both are top choices.

Detective_D
03-10-08, 07:41
Welcome to the board Solo. I know you are going to need that rifle over there in PB. I am here in Little Rock and dont envy you guys over there at all.

I am pretty new over here myself, so I cant offer much advice about what you are aiming for, but I am sure these guys will point you in the right direction. I am in the middle of my first build now, and have had so many questions answered just with the search feature.

Stay safe over there and keep your head down.

Blindpig
03-10-08, 16:31
thanks for help. Im in arkansas. nice town of pine bluff.
C'mon, Pine Bluff's the garden spot of the Southwest. At least that's what one of my buddies used to tell me when I lived in Cabot. 'Course he was from Pine Bluff so his opinion may not have been all that reliable. ;)
Congrats on the MP15A. I love mine with an EOTech on it but there's certainly nothing wrong with an Aimpoint. FF handguards are another matter of choice, I suppose. I use a YHM on mine and like it very well. My MP15A has had a bit of a nose job since it came from the factory so it's a little different than yours.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/Hardball45/SWMP15015Small.jpg

Iamarms
03-11-08, 17:36
For me, I started with a ff rail. I then went with an Eotech 552 and put the gg&g accucam and lens covers on it. This has helped me in my transition periods from wanting a holosight and only wanting to use my buis.

Delta1067
03-11-08, 20:31
Hey don't forget to mount a good flashlight.