PDA

View Full Version : FF Quad Rail Opinions

ncstroker
02-09-13, 05:05
I am looking at getting a free float quad rail 7" for my Colt m4 any opinions/pics? Kepping my front sight post. Looking at Larue but I wish they were continuous, or DD omega 7 because the ease of install and its continous. Any thoughts on the DD? Is it a good free float or should I do a true free float?

ColtSeavers
02-09-13, 05:16
I would (and did) go with a VLTOR CASV drop in free float customizable rail system.

http://www.vltor.com/casv-sub.htm

I have a CASV-S (stepped midlength version) on my 16" medcon middie and am very pleased with it.

ncstroker
02-09-13, 05:21
Very nice looking quad, although I am wanting all 4 rails. I love the way the DD and Larue look and would buy the Larue in a heartbeat if it was continuous

jet66
02-09-13, 07:25
The Centurion C4 rails (http://www.centurionarms.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=123&Itemid=154) are very nice. They meet your requests, with a continuous top rail and all 4 sides being railed. It uses the standard bbl nut, has built in QD sockets, and I like the size/profile.

7.62WildBill
02-09-13, 07:51
I bought a DD Omega 7.0 a couple years ago, and it is fine. Easy install, rock solid, etc. However, I am now looking to replace it with a longer rail so I can mount a light at 12 o'clock and get my support hand farther out. Leaning towards the Centurion C4 FSP.

samuse
02-09-13, 09:52
My opinion?

If you wanna keep the FSP and you don't wanna take the upper apart, go with a KAC RAS.

If you're gonna use a 7" rail and want to take the upper apart, go with La Rue.

I don't understand your obsession with a continuous top rail. What's the advantage of that? Don't bridge your optics.

If you're shopping for a 'freefloat quad rail' based on looks, then I rescind my entire statement.

masakari
02-09-13, 09:57
Hey, check out the new Troy Charlie and Delta rails. I just got the Delta and WOW I am impressed. Drop in, rock solid, easy install, AND you get rail in front of the front sight for a flashlight.
I also have a Daniel Defense rail and I like it alot too. Both are great options.

thehun
02-09-13, 10:10
DD Omega is a great free float rail if you do not want to do modifications to the FSB

kmrtnsn
02-09-13, 10:33
I would not recommend a 7" rail when there are better, longer choices out there that will allow you to retain your FSB if you want. Centurion C4 is a great option.

ColtSeavers
02-09-13, 10:46
Very nice looking quad, although I am wanting all 4 rails. I love the way the DD and Larue look and would buy the Larue in a heartbeat if it was continuous

The CASV rail system is a customizable one. You put the rails (nearly) where ever you want. If you want a traditional looking quad rail, put the rails on in the according fashion. If you want rails only where you intend to put things (including non standard quad rail positions), you're free to set it up that way too.

eperk
02-09-13, 11:33
The CASV rail system is a customizable one. You put the rails (nearly) where ever you want. If you want a traditional looking quad rail, put the rails on in the according fashion. If you want rails only where you intend to put things (including non standard quad rail positions), you're free to set it up that way too.

I agree. I've gotten away from quad rails altogether. Personally I like a lighter, round handguard that I can mount rails on according to my needs. It's not near as bulky either.

kmrtnsn
02-09-13, 12:13
I have CASV-M's on my two rifles and a Centurion C4 on the wife's. There is a spare in the safe wearing a Troy 11" rail. All are free float, all ride over low profile gas blocks. I wish the CASV-M was another two inches longer. I do like that I have a smooth, roundish grip surface and that I can add rail segments to the area that I want them.

I am contemplating a 7.62 build when things calm a bit and for that I think I want the new Centurion handguard.

Bizzarolibe
02-09-13, 20:57
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=422

I have a Centurion Arms C4, but would be just as happy with the MI. They're both top quality rails, but the MI is just a little bit fatter. Weights are almost identical. If you want to keep the front sight post (no reason to IMO, but your choice) choose the "extended length carbine" option.

thehun
02-09-13, 21:15
You just didnt compare MI to the same level as Centurion

jdm
02-09-13, 21:35
I would go with a DD or Centurion. Either one of them will be great for your colt.

Bizzarolibe
02-09-13, 21:51
You just didnt compare MI to the same level as Centurion

Yeah I did, and I have a C4. Same weight. Same quality. The MI might not be as pretty, but it works just as well (unless you prefer a skinnier rail and think an extra $100 is worth a fraction of an inch in diameter).

Col_Crocs
02-09-13, 22:08
I have a DD Omega but if i had to do things over, i'd get the C4. A little more work to install(not much though) but better lock up IMO and definitely a better profile.
OP, why just a 7 when you can get an FSP rail?

MistWolf
02-09-13, 22:21
Folks spend too much time worrying about rails they'll never use. All that rail estate going to waste

Aegis
02-10-13, 09:50
I've used the DD lite rial with front sight cutout on and issued M4A1 for multiple trips and had no issues with it.

Since switched to the VTAC which cuts more weight and stills allows me the flexibility to place items where I need them.

Rail technology and design has progressed to the point where you can get everything you need with nothing you don't.

Look at the offering from Troy, Geissele, VLTOR, etc.

djmorris
02-10-13, 10:20
I highly recommend the Troy Bravo Rail. I got mine brand new online for $150 shipped, you may be able to find it even cheaper. They attach to the original barrel nut and the 11" version weighs in at about 13oz. Anti-rotation QD attachment points, etc. The mounting system works great and I have not had to use any loctite or adhesive on it. Have had ZERO issues, honestly. IMO it's the best quad-rail under $200 by far.

For the money, it cannot be beat.

http://imageshack.us/a/img820/6981/bcm2m.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img401/1181/bcmt.jpg