PDA

View Full Version : "Budget" Patrol Rifle Build

ASH556
02-09-13, 07:45
I built a rifle for a local PD SGT at his request. By his own admission he doesn't know much about AR's, and so is trusting my recommendations. He is looking for something better than his current issued Bushmaster with A2 upper. The budget was $1,200.00 Here's the parts list:

BCM Blem upper rec. (from BCM )
Daniel Defense 16" LW CHF carbine gas barrel with FSP (from Primary Arms )
BCM BCG (letting him have my spare)
PSA stripped lower receiver (letting him have my spare)
PSA lower build kit (ordered from PSA )
BCM H buffer (from BCM )
Misc. Upper Parts (delta ring, barrel nut, etc) (from BCM)
Matech folding rear sight (Ebay) - He requested a folding rear sight as he says he wants the option to use a magnified scope.

He says he wants a rail. I suggested to him that the MOE handguards might be the better way to go, but he was pretty dead set on a rail.

Currently he wants a VFG and a light on them. He mentioned something about a laser in the future as his reason for wanting a rail.

Based on his budget, we could only allow $150 for the rail. I've only personally used DD rails in the past and that was outside the budget. I went with the recommendations of members here and got a KAC RAS blem from Grant for o$150 shipped!:dance3:

3 months ago the easy answer would've been a Colt 6920, but we all know how the market has changed since then. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the quality of parts I was able to put together for this build based on the budget even in this market. This build was also fulfilling because it's the first time I've had to install the dust cover and forward assist on the upper receiver. It's nice to be confident in doing that now.

So, here are some pics:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_1534.jpg
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_1537.jpg
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_1547.jpg
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_1565.jpg

.46caliber
02-09-13, 08:08
Seems like you were able to build a pretty nice carbine in the budget constraint and current market.

I'm glad to know retailers offer blem products like that KAC rail. May have to look for one myself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

philcam
02-09-13, 08:22
Awesome deal on the BCG. Can I be your friend?

Seriously, I thing you've done very well for your friend.

Airhasz
02-09-13, 08:32
Solid build, good pics. I'm sure he will be happy with it.

Koshinn
02-09-13, 08:54
With the RAS and matech, you basically built him a m4, although different barrel. Looks good!

tostado22
02-09-13, 11:43
Double post, mods please delete

tostado22
02-09-13, 11:46
Great build considering the current market.

Also very nice of you to help him out with parts. I started a build just before this all started and the only things Im lacking are the lower, hand guard, and BCG (which is on order). Good on you

Litpipe
02-09-13, 11:53
Looks good....but I would go with a diff buis. Matech is nice but he wont.be hitting out to 300m. Otherwise gtg.

karmapolice
02-09-13, 12:03
Looks good, good job on the build my friend. Ole sarge better enjoy that rifle or tell him that you will send an Apd cop to his house to take it back lol.

ARonBoard
02-09-13, 12:07
Have you or he shot it yet? How was the performance?

The right branding seems to be in place on the necessary components.

ASH556
02-09-13, 12:47
Looks good....but I would go with a diff buis. Matech is nice but he wont.be hitting out to 300m. Otherwise gtg.

Point taken, but neither he nor I are excited about plastic rear sights, so with the MBUS out of the equation, the Matech is the next best budget choice (paid $40).

ASH556
02-09-13, 12:55
Looks good, good job on the build my friend. Ole sarge better enjoy that rifle or tell him that you will send an Apd cop to his house to take it back lol.

Haha, yeah. Thanks man!

Have you or he shot it yet? How was the performance?

The right branding seems to be in place on the necessary components.

I just built it last night (well, actually finished it about 2AM this morning). I'm headed out now to test it. Fingers crossed, but the components suggest there should be no issues. I do always use dummy rounds to prove the action when I finish one and it passed that test last night/this morning.

Koshinn
02-09-13, 12:55
Point taken, but neither he nor I are excited about plastic rear sights, so with the MBUS out of the equation, the Matech is the next best budget choice (paid $40).

Why not mbus? They're more durable than metal sights...

ASH556
02-09-13, 13:00
Why not mbus? They're more durable than metal sights...

Why not a polymer lower...it's more durable than a metal one?

Same argument, same position. Not knocking anyone's choice for MBUS, but they're not for me and my buddy didn't like the thought of them either. No offense intended, but we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Airhasz
02-09-13, 13:03
Haha, yeah. Thanks man!

I just built it last night (well, actually finished it about 2AM this morning). I'm headed out now to test it. Fingers crossed, but the components suggest there should be no issues. I do always use dummy rounds to prove the action when I finish one and it passed that test last night/this morning.

No headspace check...:confused:

Litpipe
02-09-13, 13:04
I understand the hangup on plastic. I considered a matech for my duty rifle as well. I had three problems.

1). Small single aperture(spelling?). I have heard of people opening them up though.

2) Couldnt find many legit retail spots, and the ebays could have been fakes.

3) deplymemt/retention mechanism breaking.

Let us know how she shoots. Good lookin gun.

Airhasz
02-09-13, 13:07
[QUOTE=Litpipe;1541300]I understand the hangup on plastic. I considered a matech for my duty rifle as well. I had three problems.

1). Small single aperture(spelling?). I have heard of people opening them up though.

Don't most just throw an aimpoint on it anyhow?

Koshinn
02-09-13, 13:14
Why not a polymer lower...it's more durable than a metal one?

Same argument, same position. Not knocking anyone's choice for MBUS, but they're not for me and my buddy didn't like the thought of them either. No offense intended, but we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Different polymers and different types of stress involved. We're talking compressive stress in a sight vs shear stress in a lower.

Every SME I can think of believes that mbus sights are good to go for hard use weapons, but if I'm mistaken, please let me know. I don't like making false statements. Tuohy of Vuurwapen Blog did a drop test and the mbus only suffered cosmetic damage while the Troy sight suffered zero shift and the diamondhead suffered pretty major damage.

But I guess agree to disagree. Just curious though, how do you feel about pmags vs aluminum or steel (hk) mags?

Litpipe
02-09-13, 13:21
[QUOTE=Litpipe;1541300]I understand the hangup on plastic. I considered a matech for my duty rifle as well. I had three problems.

Don't most just throw an aimpoint on it anyhow?

I suppose some do. But its a buis for a reason. Chances are as an LEO all of his engagements will be within 70yds which is why I did not go for a matech.

But thats just me. Sweet rifle op.

Koshinn
02-09-13, 13:35
[QUOTE=Airhasz;1541301]

I suppose some do. But its a buis for a reason. Chances are as an LEO all of his engagements will be within 70yds which is why I did not go for a matech.

But thats just me. Sweet rifle op.

I was issued a matech and while mine never malfunctioned, many others with slightly more used sights had theirs pop up accidentally all the time.

You know a 300 yd zero roughly equates to a 25 yd zero, right? So a 300m sight is still effective at regular LEO engagement ranges. And the matech has an elevation lever for different ranges... Which is another reason I dislike it. It makes the sight taller when closed and can get adjusted accidentally if the weapon is worn/slung often because it's on the left.

Ash, if you want, I'll mail your friend a black mbus gen2 for free if he'll use it. That's how strongly I dislike the match and how much I like the mbus.

Litpipe
02-09-13, 13:42
[QUOTE=Litpipe;1541312]

I was issued a matech and while mine never malfunctioned, many others with slightly more used sights had theirs pop up accidentally all the time.

You know a 300 yd zero roughly equates to a 25 yd zero, right? So a 300m sight is still effective at regular LEO engagement ranges. And the matech has an elevation lever for different ranges... Which is another reason I dislike it. It makes the sight taller when closed and can get adjusted accidentally if the weapon is worn/slung often because it's on the left.

Yeah I understand tbe 25yd zero...but I thought the matech started at a setting of 100yds. But I guess if you wanted to use it you could set it to 100yds and zero it at that setting.

kmrtnsn
02-09-13, 13:42
My advice for those running the Matech rear sight, move it forward a notch or two if you run nose to charging handle and wear expensive eyepro. I have one on my work rifle and ruined a couple of pair of eyepro on the folded Matech rear site during our transition to the M4 from the AUG-P.

Koshinn
02-09-13, 13:51
Yeah I understand tbe 25yd zero...but I thought the matech started at a setting of 100yds. But I guess if you wanted to use it you could set it to 100yds and zero it at that setting.

We always set it to 300 and zero'd it there.

But even a 100m zero is a great zero for short ranged shooting.

Litpipe
02-09-13, 14:05
[QUOTE=Koshinn;1541319]

Check.

Packing a 45
02-27-13, 18:48
[QUOTE=Litpipe;1541312]

Ash, if you want, I'll mail your friend a black mbus gen2 for free if he'll use it. That's how strongly I dislike the match and how much I like the mbus.

Plastic wears and someone who would use plastic sights on a serious wepon might not have any qualms on useing AIR SOFT parts, and might be going for cheep cool factor. Wounder how many Shit guns with cheep plastic and air soft parts have been sold during this crazyness to unsuspecting hard working people that dont know you can build an AR with POP GUN PARTS NOTE I'm not saying all plastic parts are crap, but all kids toys are plastic. Packing

.46caliber
02-27-13, 22:01
Plastic wears and someone who would use plastic sights on a serious wepon might not have any qualms on useing AIR SOFT parts, and might be going for cheep cool factor. Wounder how many Shit guns with cheep plastic and air soft parts have been sold during this crazyness to unsuspecting hard working people that dont know you can build an AR with POP GUN PARTS NOTE I'm not saying all plastic parts are crap, but all kids toys are plastic. Packing

MBUS are a far cry from an airsoft part.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Koshinn
02-27-13, 22:13

Nice second post.

What do you think about pmags? Do you know of any non-plastic pistol grips? How about stocks?

Why are these parts ok if plastic, but sights are not ok if plastic? Especially since you use those other parts all the time and in the case of pmags, drop them on concrete every so often, but backup sights are just that, backups. If everything goes half-decent, you'll never need to deploy your backup sights. I can guarantee the vast majority of shooters, from civilians to competitors to military, are never forced to use their backup sights if they have a decent primary optic.

onefastz33
02-27-13, 22:16
Nice second post.

What do you think about pmags? Do you know of any non-plastic pistol grips? How about stocks?

Why are these parts ok if plastic, but sights are not ok if plastic? Especially since you use those other parts all the time and in the case of pmags, drop them on concrete every so often, but backup sights are just that, backups. If everything goes half-decent, you'll never need to deploy your backup sights. I can guarantee the vast majority of shooters, from civilians to competitors to military, are never forced to use their backup sights if they have a decent primary optic.

This ^^

kmrtnsn
02-27-13, 22:30

I recommend reading a lot more, and furthering your education before trying to espouse the pitfalls of polymer products around here.

Iraqgunz
03-02-13, 03:59
I suggest you check it. Then do some research and educate yourself on polymers and plastics.

[QUOTE=Koshinn;1541319]

usmcvet
03-03-13, 09:32
With the RAS and matech, you basically built him a m4, although different barrel. Looks good!

I was thinking the same thing.

I know the MBUIS is good to go but I like DD BUIS on my guns. Confidence is a huge part of sucess. Use what you trust.