PDA

View Full Version : ejected brass wear marks on lower receiver normal?

nyu04
02-09-13, 15:03
Hi all - new guy here. I have a 6920 that I have only shot about 100 rounds. Came home and saw these marks. I know they are only cosmetic but the brass deflector is pristine while the lower receiver has these marks.

Does anyone else have this issue and is it normal? I did a google search and could not find someone w the same issues... thank you!

thopkins22
02-09-13, 15:09
I can't see in that picture anything that remotely resembles marks from ejected brass...nor do I see how it could possibly happen anyway unless you were shooting with a barricade/wall right next to the ejection port.

Nothing there to concern yourself with in any case.

nyu04
02-09-13, 15:17
I can't see in that picture anything that remotely resembles marks from ejected brass...nor do I see how it could possibly happen anyway unless you were shooting with a barricade/wall right next to the ejection port.

Nothing there to concern yourself with in any case.

The pic is a poor cell phone so the marks (near take down pin) looks smeared. Really appreciate the response !! :)

Panoptes
02-09-13, 15:22
Can I assume you've had it from new? The marks look too 'consistent' to me to be brass; as if like it's wear from carry against load carrying eqpt maybe?

nyu04
02-09-13, 15:24
Can I assume you've had it from new?

yes. Bought it new. It did not have these marks. Cleaned/lubed - went to range (shot it on bench/standing up but not rough with it). Came home and noticed the marks while cleaning. Not really worried about - just curious to the reason.

thopkins22
02-09-13, 15:26
Possibly a piece of brass found it's way into your rifle bag. Truly not anything to worry about...but whatever it is it's definitely not from the ejection of brass.

nyu04
02-09-13, 15:45
Possibly a piece of brass found it's way into your rifle bag. Truly not anything to worry about...but whatever it is it's definitely not from the ejection of brass.

good to know. Thanks again sir!

aguila327
02-09-13, 16:41
Ditto.

Stickman
02-09-13, 16:56
That is NOT from ejecting brass, look elsewhere for the culprit. It looks like typical wear marks from being up against something to me.

Safetyhit
02-09-13, 17:29
Only ejecting brass with a boomerang-like capability could be responsible for that. Check the inside of your case for exposed metal such as a snap rivet.

If there is none it was probably already there and you missed it. Needless to say it's trivial one way or the other, but your curiosity is understood.

nyu04
02-09-13, 17:49
I greatly appreciate the informative responses for a new guy - esp when all the responses are positive/informative vs derogatory in nature like some internet forums.

Glad I signed up here - thanks again all.

Rohardi
02-09-13, 18:28
The next time you go to the range, take a video with you phone and see if the brass ejection is the culprit. I am almost certain that you will see that the marks are NOT from brass ejection.

Famine
02-09-13, 22:58
I'm guessing there was something hard bouncing against the gun during the car ride.

Brian Brazier
02-10-13, 00:03
Thats some magic brass :sarcastic: looks like there is wear on the takedown pin as well, what kinda case or bag are you using to transport?

glock_40_caliber
02-10-13, 15:14
What kind of sling do you have on the rifle? I would be willing to bet one of the buckles on the sling were rubbing while in the case.