PDA

View Full Version : New EDC folder

jshooter
03-10-08, 08:43
I am considering a new knife. I usually carry a Kershaw 1570 S60V. I really like the narrow width of the knife but it seems weak overall and I have bent the pocket clip several times. I also like the grip panels, good texture and the right size. With that said I am looking at a Strider or a Sebenza. The Strider seems like a better knife to use if your hand is cold, wet or God forbid bloody. The Chris Reeves is cheaper by a little but seems very smooth. Also my Kershaw is spring assisted opening, which I really like, how are the knives I am looking at for ease of use? Any info is much appreciated.

Haji
03-10-08, 22:57
Both of those knives rock, but they're not exactly aimed at the same purpose. The Strider is probably a tougher knife, but its not as smooth and refined as the Sebenza. If you want more grippyness on the knife, the Sebenza is available with a few different handle treatments. If you're likely to use it outside of what a knife is for (cutting stuff) by a wide margin, get the Strider. If most of your time is spent using the knife for cutting stuff and you don't want the knife to tear up your pockets as quickly (all clip-carried knives tear up pockets sooner or later), get the Sebenza. You really can't go wrong either way.

SPECTRE
03-17-08, 23:48
I own several Emersons, Spydercos and Benchmades.
All are top quality blades.
With that said, I recently bought a knife I have been wanting for a long time, a Chris Reeve Sebenza.
The craftsmanship, fit, finish and materials are outstanding.
I love the simple, plain and utilitarian looks and it feels great in my hand.
IMO, there is no finer folder.

Face_N_The_Crowd
03-18-08, 00:24
I have .

jshooter
03-20-08, 20:02
Well to update a little, I ordered a Strider SMF with a tanto blade from Blue Line Gear and have had it clipped to my pocket for a few days now. First impressions of this knife are "holy shit" to a more rational good blade to use, mostly in a utility way, I will say it is a bigger knife than I am used to so we'll see how long it stays in my pocket. I can hardly get my hand passed it to get some cash. Also the clip needs to be closed more so it is a little harder to knock off. I work on trucks and heavy equipment so I am rolling around alot or in odd positions so I surely don't want to lose this one. I doubt I'll ever sell it but a Chris Reeve may also be in my future. And for what its worth Blue Line Gear was top notch to deal with.

SPECTRE
03-20-08, 20:05
Well to update a little, I ordered a Strider SMF with a tanto blade from Blue Line Gear and have had it clipped to my pocket for a few days now. First impressions of this knife are "holy shit" to a more rational good blade to use, mostly in a utility way, I will say it is a bigger knife than I am used to so we'll see how long it stays in my pocket. I can hardly get my hand passed it to get some cash. Also the clip needs to be closed more so it is a little harder to knock off. I work on trucks and heavy equipment so I am rolling around alot or in odd positions so I surely don't want to lose this one. I doubt I'll ever sell it but a Chris Reeve may also be in my future. And for what its worth Blue Line Gear was top notch to deal with.

Yet another reason I love the Sebenza.
I tried a Strider and it was a pocketfull.
I hardly notice the Sebenza is even there.

pearson
03-21-08, 07:09
wow I love my 1570 and i have had it in my pocket for over 2 years :confused:

CPR
03-25-08, 13:10
Personally, I'd go with a Strider spear point SnG over a Sebenza, although the Sebenza is a great knife. I'm just a Strider guy.

I just snagged a Blackwater Gear/Benchmade folder designed by Bob Lum (RIP) that's pretty sweet at $124.

154CM 4" blade and titanium handles with an integral lock. It could use a Hinderer stabilizer, but is really well made for the money. I'd take it over an Emerson HD-7. It's tip down carry though. :mad:

Here's a link: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0006016600BT

Soulrack223
03-25-08, 22:28
I have a Bladetech RIJBAK, designed by Greg Lightfoot that is extremely robust. Thick titanium construction, textured G-10 scales, and a hefty S30V blade. I've been loving it as an EDC and it's a lot less $ than the great knives you've mentioned. I bought an Emerson CQC-10 at the same time and haven't carried it once. Though it feels awesome in the hand, and I'm obviously a sucker for spear points. If you've narrowed it down to the 2 that you've mentioned, I'd say go for the Sebenza. I've never heard anybody regret buying a Sebenza.

http://www.blade-tech.com/product_images/d_411.jpg