PDA

View Full Version : Noveseke NSR 16.7 on 16" barrel

Shao
02-10-13, 06:41
OK.. somebody stop me.. I know it sounds stupid but I have an overwhelming urge to drop a NSR 16.7 on a spare 16" upper that I have and topping it off with a HERA or similar linear comp. I understand that absolutely nothing useful will come out of it, but I can't stop thinking about it. Does anybody want to talk me down before I do something retarded, or would more people be interested in seeing what it looks like?

Wolverine6G
02-10-13, 06:57
what kind of muzzle are you looking to put on it?

Shao
02-10-13, 07:11
what kind of muzzle are you looking to put on it?

A linear comp of some kind so I don't blast gasses and residue on my rail... Those HERAs look real nice...

I mean... I added the weight of the components and it would actually weigh less than with the standard
plastic handguard but the weight distribution would be different - and linear comps aren't known for being
light... If it came out like crap, I suppose I could always swap the rail to my 24" rifle...

MrFJones
02-10-13, 10:32
I'm not gonna stop you, I think it will looks pretty cool

Litpipe
02-10-13, 10:34
U must do this for the good of man. What will be on the rail?
Post pics when done please.

cwegga
02-10-13, 19:43
Do it and post pics so we can see. I'm all for the uncircumcised look when it comes to ARs.

dentron
02-10-13, 23:57
Ive been wondering how this would look since i heard about the 16.7. Please do and post pics so i would know what it would look like if i could afford it haha.

mtdawg169
02-11-13, 06:04
I'll be the voice of reason here and say that is an absolutely awful idea. You're going about this in backwards fashion. You've bought the latest whiz bang, go fast accessory without even knowing what barrel length you were going to use. As they say, mission drives the gear train. Choose a barrel and muzzle device that meet your needs based on intended use, then select an appropriate rail. Since you've already got the cart before the horse, take a look at the 18-20 inch barrel options and decide what you will most likely be doing with the upper. I'd look at the BCM, Centurion Arms and Noveske options. Noveske offers a nice 18" lightweight SS barrel for 3 gun & competition use.

ETA: Noveske Shooting Team builds with 16.7 NSR

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=111891

Shao
02-11-13, 07:30
I'll be the voice of reason here and say that is an absolutely awful idea. You're going about this in backwards fashion. You've bought the latest whiz bang, go fast accessory without even knowing what barrel length you were going to use. As they say, mission drives the gear train. Choose a barrel and muzzle device that meet your needs based on intended use, then select an appropriate rail. Since you've already got the cart before the horse, take a look at the 18-20 inch barrel options and decide what you will most likely be doing with the upper. I'd look at the BCM, Centurion Arms and Noveske options. Noveske offers a nice 18" lightweight SS barrel for 3 gun & competition use.

I haven't bought it yet, I was going to buy the rail if needed. Unfortunately, they're a bit of white rhino right now. The way I look at it is this - I need a new rail for my 24" build anway, so for shits and giggles, I put it on a 16" just to see what it looks like. I think that with the right stock and grip, it would like some kind of Imperial Storm Trooper rifle.. Maybe I could cerakote the furniture white... :D Really though - not for practical purposes, just to see what it looks like... As mentioned earlier, doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon because I refuse to spend the $350-$400+ these things are going for. If anything, I'll wait until they're widely available then proceed from there. Sorry guys - I will do it if someone doesn't beat me to it!

mtdawg169
02-11-13, 07:36
Ok, I thought you got one from Ranier. I'll stand by my opinion that it sounds like an awful idea. Before dropping more money on a poorly planned build, you should try a linear comp to see if you like it. From what I have seen, they don't seem very useful compared to more contemporary comp designs. OR, you could put the rail on your 24" barrel.

Shao
02-11-13, 08:00
Ok, I thought you got one from Ranier. I'll stand by my opinion that it sounds like an awful idea. Before dropping more money on a poorly planned build, you should try a linear comp to see if you like it. From what I have seen, they don't seem very useful compared to more contemporary comp designs. OR, you could put the rail on your 24" barrel.

True, but I already have 3 practical rifles, one not so practical, and I wouldn't mind having one just for looks... It could look cool... I know linear comps aren't the greatest, but I couldn't think of any other way to keep muzzle blast from destroying the NSR or any lights/accessories I mount up front. Besides, I need more upper work experience. I think I'm gonna fight you on this one and buy one when it becomes available, slap it on the 16", probably hate it, and then swap it over to the 24" where I really need it. :D

glockshooter
02-11-13, 10:08
One thing to remember is .5 inch of the barrel length is threaded and your muzzle device goes over it. So that puts about 1.25 inch inside your tube. It is probably to much to overcome with most muzzle devices. My 15" Troy covers all but about .25" on my 16" noveske barrel.

Matt

mtdawg169
02-11-13, 10:37
One thing to remember is .5 inch of the barrel length is threaded and your muzzle device goes over it. So that puts about 1.25 inch inside your tube. It is probably to much to overcome with most muzzle devices. My 15" Troy covers all but about .25" on my 16" noveske barrel.

Matt

Good point. Add that to that the fact that a 16" barrel only extends about 15.5" beyond the face of the upper receiver and you've got even more rail length to overcome. The link I posted above shows an 18" barrel with a 16.7 NSR. The rail extends almost to the threads on the 18" barrel.

Shao
02-11-13, 11:22
Well the HERA linear comp is listed at 3" for the small so I imagine the regular size would be the same - that should give me enough clearance... you think?

https://lanworldinc.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=7932&category_id=79&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=141

Wake27
02-11-13, 12:51
While that doesn't sound like the best idea to me, War Sport has something similar. I think it's called the LVOA? But why would you build a whole rifle for looks? I'm more concerned about looks than many people on this board and even I don't get it. Go out and shoot the ones you do have.

Shao
02-11-13, 13:02
While that doesn't sound like the best idea to me, War Sport has something similar. I think it's called the LVOA? But why would you build a whole rifle for looks? I'm more concerned about looks than many people on this board and even I don't get it. Go out and shoot the ones you do have.

It wouldn't look quite the same though - their rails are 1.5 - 1.7" longer than their barrels and they're using shorter muzzle devices...
I figure the HERA would extend past the muzzle by at least an inch... Just sayin' - I haven't put together or bought anything for looks yet and I'd just like to have something different...

Besides, my chances of finding a NSR 16.7 right now are about slim to none... I may as well wait for the Geissele SMR Mk4.