PDA

View Full Version : Another Masterpiece From Cold Bore Customs

JBarbaresi
02-10-13, 11:05
Unbelievable job by Lane at CBC. This is the 360 degree carry texture, finger groove removal, and mag well cutouts. I couldn't be happier with the results or customer service. Highly recommended if you are looking for some frame modification. I think the pictures speak for themselves.

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/IMG_20130210_172715_zpsb4a154c2.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/IMG_20130210_172742_zps2b2df332.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/IMG_20130210_174344_zpsb6eb63c8.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/IMG_20130210_174244_zpsf638b2b8.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/IMG_20130210_172817_zpsfbc831e4.jpg

Litpipe
02-10-13, 11:13
Sweet. Why not round out the trigger guard? Great stippling job.

Vlobb
02-10-13, 13:19
Nicely done! Lane always does stellar work.

samuse
02-10-13, 13:28
Sweet. Why not round out the trigger guard? Great stippling job.

Because the square trigger guard looks good with the square slide and it looks better with an X300.

JBarbaresi
02-10-13, 13:44
I agree that aesthetically the square trigger guard looks better. I wish i would have also done the speedwell mod but i am very pleased with the results, enough so to trade off my Gen4 G19 for another Gen3. This work solved the only reasons I preferred gen4 over gen3.

Litpipe
02-10-13, 14:03
Makes sense

darr3239
02-10-13, 14:13
Many might think the square trigger guards "look" good, but it's form over function in reality.

Rounding a trigger guard off makes for more efficient finger placement, especially under stress situations. Your off-hand index finger won't hang up, if you get it a little high, and the rounded surface helps guide it where it's supposed to be.

A rounded trigger guard also helps eliminate hang-ups when holstering. Isn't a rounding-off job what smiths do to CCW guns?

You also don't need a gunsmith to round the trigger guard for you. A file and some sandpaper is all you need to do it yourself.

Of course, if you aren't into competition, and won't ever happen into a stress shooting situation, then looks trump function every time.

LightningFast
02-10-13, 14:48
Many might think the square trigger guards "look" good, but it's form over function in reality.

Rounding a trigger guard off makes for more efficient finger placement, especially under stress situations. Your off-hand index finger won't hang up, if you get it a little high, and the rounded surface helps guide it where it's supposed to be.

A rounded trigger guard also helps eliminate hang-ups when holstering. Isn't a rounding-off job what smiths do to CCW guns?

You also don't need a gunsmith to round the trigger guard for you. A file and some sandpaper is all you need to do it yourself.

Of course, if you aren't into competition, and won't ever happen into a stress shooting situation, then looks trump function every time.

So, why do great shooters such as Rob Leatham and Dave Sevigny CHOOSE to have a square trigger guard on their guns?
The explanation I've previously been given is a square trigger guard allows more real estate below the trigger, which is a good thing for modern shooting techniques.

Granted, that may just be arbitrary reasoning and aesthetics could be the true explanation.

I don't have the answers, and I'm my shooting is not at an ability where it is hindered or advantaged by one trigger guard style. Merely food for thought.

demkofour
02-10-13, 15:04
Boresight Solutions rounded trigger guard:

samuse
02-10-13, 15:27

Um no. It's the front of the trigger guard. It is all about looks.

I've never gotten my off hand hung up on a square trigger guard. Even on my square trigger guarded guns with decockers, safeties and DA first pulls. Even when I'm in hard core training SHTF mode and I don't concentrate on my trigger guard really really hard... I still don't get my hand hung up on my trigger guard.

You can't really get a trigger guard hung up on a re-holster because it's the very last part of the gun to go into the holster. By that point, you either missed the holster or it's goin' all they way.

So yeah, it's all about looks.

samuse
02-10-13, 15:30
To the OP:

I generally don't like stippled guns and I enjoy the looks of a basically stock Glock, but that one is really well done.

IMO, it looks more well though out and refined than the original texture.

Nephrology
02-10-13, 15:33
Very beautiful stippling. Looks OEM. Quite jealous. Enjoy your pistol!

DWood
02-10-13, 16:03
I have seen his work on my friend's gun and think it is the best available. I will be sending mine for the same job + the backstrap reduction, trigger guard undercut, and mag release recess. Not sure if I will go for the mag well cut outs and still on the fence about rounding the trigger guard.

His work looks like it came from the factory.

JBarbaresi
02-10-13, 16:23
Thanks guys. And yes his work does have a very "factory" look to it which was one of the reasons i chose CBC. Plus lane is a great guy to do business with.

DWood
02-10-13, 16:32
I e-mailed him yesterday about sending in a frame as the istructions say on his web site. What was the turn around time for your order?

JBarbaresi
02-10-13, 16:37
I e-mailed him yesterday about sending in a frame as the istructions say on his web site. What was the turn around time for your order?

Its usually around 2 weeks but i know he's been a little overwhelmed with work lately. He will no doubt give you an honest estimate.

jonconsiglio
02-10-13, 16:49

Games are neat and all, but in serious situations (with real stress) the square trigger guard can be an advantage. Punching out hard with your support hand fully encompassing the gun is one reason. Another is it seamless meets an X300 weapon light.

Now, I don't know too many people that speed reholster, so hanging up on the holster as a reason for rounding the trigger guard is pretty weak.

twistedcomrade
02-10-13, 16:51
Very beautiful stippling. Looks OEM. Quite jealous. Enjoy your pistol!

Well said. This is the first stippling job that I have seen that I would want.

darr3239
02-11-13, 01:49
So, why do great shooters such as Rob Leatham and Dave Sevigny CHOOSE to have a square trigger guard on their guns?The explanation I've previously been given is a square trigger guard allows more real estate below the trigger, which is a good thing for modern shooting techniques.
My best guess, for the reason they CHOOSE to have the square guard, is that they are using stock guns from the companies that make their guns, so they don't want to modify them from the looks of the guns the companies sell. Glocks also have plenty of room under the trigger guard, whether it's rounded or not. I've also taken a class with Leatham and he doesn't use the squared portion at all with any pistols he shoots.

Games are neat and all, but in serious situations (with real stress) the square trigger guard can be an advantage. Punching out hard with your support hand fully encompassing the gun is one reason. Another is it seamless meets an X300 weapon light.

Now, I don't know too many people that speed reholster, so hanging up on the holster as a reason for rounding the trigger guard is pretty weak.
I can see someone wanting to put their finger on the front edge of the trigger guard, but I've never heard of an instructor recommending it's use anymore. I don't get what you mean about your support hand fully encompassing the gun. If you mean putting a finger on the front of the guard, it seemed to be a fad with competition shooters in the 70s, but the technique has fallen away. So, I guess I see no reason for it now. Maybe for jamming it against a barricade, but I don't think many are doing that either.

As far as holstering, I never said the reason was strong. I just mentioned it as a side note, since there could be potential issues with clothing or who knows what, while carrying concealed.

SilverTongueDevil
02-11-13, 09:22
Gun looks great the rest of this tread is individuals wanting to split hairs.....

blueorison
02-12-13, 17:05
For those of you arguing,

everyone shoots differently.

When you get a high level of proficiency, you'll realize that many different forms are actually legitimate techniques.

During the Olympics, many years ago, prone rifle shooters realized from data accumulated from shooters across the world that people can hit targets no matter their different forms.