PDA

View Full Version : Smell of ammonia while shooting Daniel Defense

BBQBOY
02-10-13, 23:56
Went shooting with my cousin and brother at our farm and we all shot our Colts and many pistols. I decided to shoot my DDV5 for the first time after shooting our Colt AR's. now, I'm going to attribute the smell of ammonia to the ammo, but before I make that assumption, is it possible, in any way that the smell was coming from the gun, and not the ammo? I don't exactly remember what ammo I was shooting, but I bought it from PSA. It was probably Lake City.

Kenneth
02-11-13, 00:23
Ahh those damn guys at DD are Peeing in the rifles again!

I would say its ammo BUT I remember that I had a funky smell one time coming from the buffer tube.

Split66
02-11-13, 00:42
Probably the ammo. Anodizing gives off a funky smell when you operate the charging handle as well. It's especially prevalent in new guns.......

Kenneth
02-11-13, 00:50
Probably the ammo. Anodizing gives off a funky smell when you operate the charging handle as well. It's especially prevalent in new guns.......

That's exactly what mine was to think of it.

Gatekeeper
02-11-13, 01:21
Could be the powder.I know some Hodgdon powders give off a strong ammonia smell, so that could be it.
Shoot a big magnum loaded with H1000 and you'll know what I mean:D, Varget and h335 are not as strong but it is definitely there .

My BCM gunfighter charging handle made a funky odor as Split stated, don't know if it was the anodizing, mobil1 i use for lube or the combination.

Koshinn
02-11-13, 01:28

Was going to say this too. It's either the right side of the CH rubbing against the interior of the upper receiver or the bottom of the CH rubbing against the top of the part of the lower receiver that threads the receiver extension. Or both.

3 AE
02-11-13, 04:20
How perverted are you guys? Sniffing around the internals of your ARs will only get you "the look"! ;)

Turk182
02-11-13, 18:11
Spraying the fields ? Its done here all the time, you can smell it for miles. If its was close (& honestly ammonia) it would have taken your breath away.

The_Count
02-12-13, 07:36
The smell is most certainly the ammo. When you fire an M4 or AR you can get a blast of the gas back to your nose (Via the Charging Handle). That smell, while not Ammonia, does resemble the smell of it. It can be quite strong.

Also, check the label of the cleaner you use. Some cleaners contain Ammonia. Most of those cleaners caution you from leaving it in the bore.

Moltke
02-12-13, 07:40
Have you used an ammonia based solvent to clean it?