PDA

View Full Version : spikes tactical lower any good ?

motodad
02-11-13, 11:36
I have the chance to get one for 250 stripped is it worth the money it is forged and mill spec

markm
02-11-13, 11:47
It's probably a fine lower. Seems about market price.

rstang99
02-11-13, 11:49
I have one because it is what I could get. It's ok, not great, not bad.

Bizzarolibe
02-11-13, 12:00
Yes. It is a great lower (I would prefer it to most on the market right now). ST makes a fine product.

markm
02-11-13, 12:03
The logo is a little much. I prefer a mild logo if the choice is there.

But other than that, I've never heard of problems with those lowers.

rstang99
02-11-13, 12:04
I actually find the machining a little sloppy. It's certainly not at the level of Colt.

Bizzarolibe
02-11-13, 12:06
I actually find the machining a little sloppy. It's certainly not at the level of Colt.

Huh, that's funny; I've had the opposite experience. Do you have any side by side comparison pics you could post? I'd be interested to see this 'sloppy machining'.

markm
02-11-13, 12:09
Any lower can have machining marks. That's cosmetic crap.

A spotlessly machined lower with a tight mag well broach or incorrect pin hole location is more of a problem than some visible machine marks.

rstang99
02-11-13, 12:14
I was in the military for ten years. I just didn't see the sloppiness in any of my Air Force M16s I see in this lower. I also think my Stag Arms lower is machined better. I'm not saying it's bad it's just not the standard I expect. The parkerizing is also not up to snuff in my opinion. I have had about 20 magazine insertions in the gun since my build and the parking is already starting to wear in the mag well.

ryr8828
02-11-13, 12:18
I have 4 and they were great at $69 each. The fit on them in the rifles I have built is no different than the fit on my daniel defense rifles that I have bought.
Should have bought 40.

Bizzarolibe
02-11-13, 12:23
I was in the military for ten years. I just didn't see the sloppiness in any of my Air Force M16s I see in this lower. I also think my Stag Arms lower is machined better. I'm not saying it's bad it's just not the standard I expect. The parkerizing is also not up to snuff in my opinion. I have had about 20 magazine insertions in the gun since my build and the parking is already starting to wear in the mag well.

What do you mean by "sloppy machining"? Are you saying that the Spikes is out of spec? The pin holes are rough and gritty? Please clarify.

Also, do you have any pics of the magwell you're talking about? I'd be interested in seeing what you describe.

rstang99
02-11-13, 12:32
I have 4 and they were great at $69 each. The fit on them in the rifles I have built is no different than the fit on my daniel defense rifles that I have bought.
Should have bought 40.

At 69.00 each or even 100.00 I think they are fine. At 250.00 I would look elsewhere.

rstang99
02-11-13, 12:35
What do you mean by "sloppy machining"? Are you saying that the Spikes is out of spec? The pin holes are rough and gritty? Please clarify.

Also, do you have any pics of the magwell you're talking about? I'd be interested in seeing what you describe.

You are trying to pin my down on my general impression with the lower I bought. I have not sat down and gauged the thing out. My observation is in general the fit of the machining is not what I would like to see. It's the one part I will replace when the market loosens up.

ryr8828
02-11-13, 12:37
At 69.00 each or even 100.00 I think they are fine. At 250.00 I would look elsewhere.

I probably would too but I have several ar's and this man inquiring has none. These are perilous times.