PDA

View Full Version : Santa came back to town! (RMR/Glock)

rockmyglock
02-11-13, 17:25
Santa Clause (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAgggyUdVw4) just stopped back in town and dropped off these bad boys.......

http://i50.tinypic.com/2a78zfc.jpg

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGE TRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP!

LtNovakUSA
02-11-13, 17:49
Very cool.

I am thinking about doing this as well, who did the milling work for you?

rockmyglock
02-11-13, 17:56
Very cool.

I am thinking about doing this as well, who did the milling work for you?

Yeah, I kicked tires about it for the better part of a year.

Mark at L&M Precision Gunworks (http://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/) did mine. He was the best in price (that I saw) and his customer service was top notch. Not to mention his turn around time was fast. Lightning fast.

poepoe310
02-12-13, 10:26
Mark has my 17L. if you don't want to post here...PM me how long you waited...I'm going nuts with anticipation....i had an aimpoint micro put on my 17L along with a few other mods...

ddnguyen9
02-12-13, 10:29
Mark at L&M Precision Gunworks (http://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/) did mine. He was the best in price (that I saw) and his customer service was top notch. Not to mention his turn around time was fast. Lightning fast.

I also had Mark install a RMR on my Glock 17. Awesome prices and VERY quick turn around. I believed I received the completed slide in less then two weeks. I would definitely use him again for another project.

rockmyglock
02-12-13, 12:22
Mark has my 17L. if you don't want to post here...PM me how long you waited...I'm going nuts with anticipation....i had an aimpoint micro put on my 17L along with a few other mods...

It was well within his two-three week turn around estimate. It was so fast I am still shocked they are already back in my hands.

Are you getting the ATOM mount? I know that he runs operations in batches and depending on how many ATOM orders he has in queue may affect delivery times.

poepoe310
02-12-13, 13:53
I am getting the ATOM mount. Just in case I get another glock done down the road-I want to be able to change sights. Also, I got an iron sight ATOM plate so I can put the 17L back to kinda stock.

Mark has been nothing but fantastic. Communication was prompt and detailed before I sent the slide in. We have communicated several times, and it is always detailed and prompt. I wish everything was like that.

blueorison
02-12-13, 16:29
Cool, let us know how the MRD holds out.

A lot of MRDs break on slides.

rockmyglock
02-13-13, 00:16
Cool, let us know how the MRD holds out.

A lot of MRDs break on slides.

Do you have anything to back this up or is this one of those statements heard in a gun store?

Like I said, I've looked at them for the better part of a year and I have not see one "break on [a] slide". Definitely not to any degree over being mounted on a carbine or shotgun.

blueorison
02-13-13, 02:02
Do you have anything to back this up or is this one of those statements heard in a gun store?

Like I said, I've looked at them for the better part of a year and I have not see one "break on [a] slide". Definitely not to any degree over being mounted on a carbine or shotgun.

If you look at my sig, you'll probably realize that I never repeat anything I hear.

I test things for myself, and don't read forums. I'm actually active only on one forum, and one forum only. Because most forums, I've found, are 80% or more populated by people who don't test things out for themselves and do their own research, firsthand. The forum I'm active on is a small one, comprised of engineers, current/ex-LE/MIL, and handloaders. We go test our own gear and help newbies out. They are in the minority.

That disclaimer posted, I have personally broken MRDs on slides. I also have broken many things. I am known on my forum for breaking things. Everything. Other than testing MRDs, I also do ballistic testing for my forum.

Hope that answers your question.

I have extremely little to no respect for gun-store staff, gun show staff, and 99% of internet forum chatterboxes that repeat idiot crap they hear.

I apologize for the long post. I had to reiterate that you were preaching to the choir. Belay; massive singing ensemble.

:rolleyes:

Spiffums
02-13-13, 07:17
I think all the RDS on slides break stems from the cheap plastic housing models that pre date the RMR and Micro. Most of the failures I have read about the RMR seem to stem from improper mounting. I think there is a thread about it on BEnos.com.

Airborne Infantryman
02-13-13, 08:04
If you look at my sig, you'll probably realize that I never repeat anything I hear.

I test things for myself, and don't read forums. I'm actually active only on one forum, and one forum only. Because most forums, I've found, are 80% or more populated by people who don't test things out for themselves and do their own research, firsthand. The forum I'm active on is a small one, comprised of engineers, current/ex-LE/MIL, and handloaders. We go test our own gear and help newbies out. They are in the minority.

That disclaimer posted, I have personally broken MRDs on slides. I also have broken many things. I am known on my forum for breaking things. Everything. Other than testing MRDs, I also do ballistic testing for my forum.

I have extremely little to no respect for gun-store staff, gun show staff, and 99% of internet forum chatterboxes that repeat idiot crap they hear.

I apologize for the long post. I had to reiterate that you were preaching to the choir. Belay; massive singing ensemble.

So what MRDS have you broken on a slide? Its well-known that the RMR is pretty much the only MRDS that is considered to be acceptable for serious duty on a handgun. Some people like the DeltaPoint as well, however, its less popular.

02-13-13, 08:47
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=111362

PathofPain
02-13-13, 12:29
That...is...awesome.

Is there a lot of holster support for RMRs right now? I don't really know.

I'm experimenting with making my own so I suppose it is not a great issue if I go this route.

Well done!

jesuvuah
02-13-13, 12:37
That...is...awesome.

I'm experimenting with making my own so I suppose it is not a great issue if I go this route.

Well done!

I just got my first rmr's glock a few weeks ago. I just made a kydex holster for it but I think I will be going back to the drawing board and make a few changes.

I know you can get a few different options of holsters at onesorcetactical. I believe one is made by dale fricke and the other ones are made by bladetech.

Now that I have discovered DIY kydex, I dont know if I will ever buy another holster, but I have not mastered it yet.

PathofPain
02-13-13, 12:44
I'm in the same boat. DIY is very nice, but I am still in the learning curve. It is proving to be very educational.

rockmyglock
02-13-13, 12:45

Well, as fellow scientist you will appreciate the fact that I would like to see your data and know the variables. Denigrating MRD's as a whole instead of saying I broke X, mounted on Y, while doing Z is uncalled for. Especially when all the data and first hand experiences of end-users indicate otherwise (specifically RMR users, Deltapoint et al excluded).

As a fellow forum user, you will appreciate the following.....

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!! :D

rockmyglock
02-13-13, 12:47
One mans opinion. I will forgo the obligatory linking to other SME's and Industry Professionals on this site (and others) that believe in the RMR's effectiveness on defensive/offensive sidearms.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=111362

rockmyglock
02-13-13, 12:53
That...is...awesome.

Well done!

Yes and no.

Safariland makes an ALS that accepts the RDS (model: 6354-DO). Currently they are made to order directly through Safariland (at full retail) or through distributors (I'm going through CopQuest for mine). Three to four week lead time.

Bladetech makes an RMR capable holster that is stocked at One Source Tactical. Personally, I'm not a Bladetech fan and I am already familiar with the ALS system. YMMV.

Dale Fricke makes AIWB and OWB RMR capable kydex. I ordered a Seraphim AIWB and Zaccheus AIWB that should be in any day now. (Two week lead time).

Steve at PerSec Systems makes RMR specific kydex as well. He does OWB style kydex (e.g. Raven, et al) and I have considered trying his.

I have always carried at the 3:30-4 o'clock position in an MTAC. Last night I ended up modding the kydex to fit the RMR. I only had to take a 3/8" of the Kydex where the RMR is and re-heat it a bit to get it to work. The MTAC in my original configuration lets the RMR ride just above the belt line. I am sure that Greg would oblige making an RMR capable hoslter if you called.

http://i49.tinypic.com/auwrd5.jpghttp://i50.tinypic.com/20fw581.jpg

Steve S.
02-13-13, 13:30

No, but I'm sure it's not long until more companies jump on the bandwagon. RMRs are growing in popularity by leaps in bounds in the high speed Mil / LE communities, as well as with switched on civilian shooters. Holster companies won't be able to deny this market for too long. I think many considered the RMR a fad at first.

Steve at PerSec Systems makes RMR specific kydex as well.

More than welcome to try. Our trial period is pretty decent to get a feel if it works out or not. If not, return for refund including shipping costs.

I carry an RMR equipped Glock, and I've found OWB to be very comfortable. IWB can work, but a little offset between the RMR housing and the body is nice - if wardrobe and weather permit OWB carry.

ETA pics.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/14/eha6a5an.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/14/3apa3a6u.jpg

PathofPain
02-13-13, 14:27
Yes and no.

Safariland makes an ALS that accepts the RDS (model: 6354-DO). Currently they are made to order directly through Safariland (at full retail) or through distributors (I'm going through CopQuest for mine). Three to four week lead time.

Bladetech makes an RMR capable holster that is stocked at One Source Tactical. Personally, I'm not a Bladetech fan and I am already familiar with the ALS system. YMMV.

Dale Fricke makes AIWB and OWB RMR capable kydex. I ordered a Seraphim AIWB and Zaccheus AIWB that should be in any day now. (Two week lead time).

Steve at PerSec Systems makes RMR specific kydex as well. He does OWB style kydex (e.g. Raven, et al) and I have considered trying his.

I have always carried at the 3:30-4 o'clock position in an MTAC. Last night I ended up modding the kydex to fit the RMR. I only had to take a 3/8" of the Kydex where the RMR is and re-heat it a bit to get it to work. The MTAC in my original configuration lets the RMR ride just above the belt line. I am sure that Greg would oblige making an RMR capable hoslter if you called.

http://i49.tinypic.com/auwrd5.jpghttp://i50.tinypic.com/20fw581.jpg

Some good stuff right there, thanks. I'd love the chance to try out an RMR to really get a feel for the distinctions between them and the iron sights. Of course, having the slide milled to accept the RMR without interfering with the irons is ideal.

PathofPain
02-13-13, 14:29
No, but I'm sure it's not long until more companies jump on the bandwagon. RMRs are growing in popularity by leaps in bounds in the high speed Mil / LE communities, as well as with switched on civilian shooters. Holster companies won't be able to deny this market for too long. I think many considered the RMR a fad at first.

More than welcome to try. Our trial period is pretty decent to get a feel if it works out or not. If not, return for refund including shipping costs.

I carry an RMR equipped Glock, and I've found OWB to be very comfortable. IWB can work, but a little offset between the RMR housing and the body is nice - if wardrobe and weather permit OWB carry.

Thank you for your thoughts. I think new technology should always be welcomed and given a chance, as well as be extensively tested. Having more options is a good thing.

Steve S.
02-13-13, 15:47
Some good stuff right there, thanks. I'd love the chance to try out an RMR to really get a feel for the distinctions between them and the iron sights. Of course, having the slide milled to accept the RMR without interfering with the irons is ideal.

Definitely want those suppressor iron sights in my highest opinion. They give you something to index when getting use to pressing out the RMR.

I wouldn't look past buying a pre-milled slide if this is your first RMR. That way you retain the OEM slide if you don't like the concept, or need to shoot a competition that rules out RMRs.

Magic_Salad0892
02-13-13, 15:48
Safariland already makes holsters for RDS equipped pistols.

rockmyglock
02-13-13, 15:49
But they are currently only made to order and take three to four weeks to manufacture.

Safariland already makes holsters for RDS equipped pistols.

BravoHotel
02-13-13, 22:53
I wouldn't look past buying a pre-milled slide if this is your first RMR. That way you retain the OEM slide if you don't like the concept, or need to shoot a competition that rules out RMRs.

My thoughts as well...just can't seem to find one for my gen4 G19. Any leads on that?

rockmyglock
02-14-13, 16:19
My thoughts as well...just can't seem to find one for my gen4 G19. Any leads on that?

Finding a pre-milled Gen4 Glock 19 slide ready to ship is going to be a pretty tall order.

IMO, you would be better off getting your current slide milled if you are looking at having it done. Mark mills the slide to fit your specific RMR. The tolerances on the RMR are +/- .005" and he mills it to fit snug as a bug. He even mills the leading edge with a radius to follow the curve of the RMR.

With a pre-made option it would have to be milled to account for those RMR's on the larger end of that tolerance.

You can get Mark to mill a plate that will replace the RMR if not on the gun or go with the ATOM mount that offers the same option.

Side note - I don't think you would get all your money back on a slide with RMR (plus work) if you decided to get rid of it. Not to mention the added, upfront expense associated with "ready made" second slide that isn't capable of firing rounds downrange.

02-14-13, 23:28
One mans opinion. I will forgo the obligatory linking to other SME's and Industry Professionals on this site (and others) that believe in the RMR's effectiveness on defensive/offensive sidearms.

If you could do so that would be appreciated. Last several TigerSwan classes I have attended, not a single instructor advocated for the RMR. Last LAV class I attended his attitude was pretty much in line with Redback 1's. IIRC, Kyle DeFoor is not on board at this moment. JDP, not sold either.

I am interested in this development, but at this point I see no advantage, as do several of those whose opinions carry more weight than others. If I am behind the curve, please give solid examples so I can reexamine the issue.