PDA

View Full Version : Issue Resolved! Sticking striker/striker block on M&P?

JBecker 72
02-11-13, 18:19
Before someone jumps on me regarding not contacting S&W first, I just wanted to confirm this is actually a problem worth contacting them about, or an armorer. If that is the case, I will be going that route.

On to the possible issue. This is a M&P9 full size with a test fire date of September 2012. (great trigger BTW) The problem is the striker seems to stick a lot. I can force it to work, however once you fire it, it will not reset again. And when I say force it to work, I mean you really have to push on that sucker to get it to click in place. My other M&P does not do this at all. If you depress the block, and push the striker toward the breech and then release it, it springs back into place and locks. This one is very sticky and sometimes I can get the pin to stay out of the breech face. This has me thinking the pistol has the potential of double firing or even dumping an entire magazine. However when I shot it today, it ran just fine. I only noticed this when I cleaned it after going to the range.

Sorry for the crappy video, but it shows the issue. When I push on it to get it to pop back in place, I am really pushing on it hard.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/th_VIDEO0006_zps4c883acc.jpg (http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/VIDEO0006_zps4c883acc.mp4)

C4IGrant
02-11-13, 21:30
Just so I am sure, the gun does shoot just fine right?

Remove the striker and look into the striker channel to see if there is anything in there.

Make sure that your striker block move freely (push from the same angle as the trigger bar would).

C4

JBecker 72
02-11-13, 21:43
Just so I am sure, the gun does shoot just fine right?

Remove the striker and look into the striker channel to see if there is anything in there.

Make sure that your striker block move freely (push from the same angle as the trigger bar would).

C4

Yes, pistol ran 250 rounds today without issue.

I removed the striker and checked the channel, and also shot it with a bit of carb cleaner just to ensure no grit was stuck in there. Also, the striker block moves very freely when the striker is not installed.

I also swapped strikers with my other full size pistol that functions properly, and the problem remained. The striker out of the problem pistol functioned as it should in the good pistol.

JBecker 72
02-11-13, 21:45
Also, sorry if my terminology is not correct with what I am describing.

So I removed the striker block, and re-installed the striker in the channel, and it's smooth as butter. I'm thinking the striker block might be the culprit. Rather than send it off I am gonna install an Apex DCAEK and see what happens. Been meaning to try it anyway.

JBecker 72
02-12-13, 17:29
Just thought I would update this thread since I discovered what the issue was. There was a slight raised ledge on the striker block where it interacts with the striker. Once I knocked the ledge down and re-installed it, it functions just like my other striker fired pistols do.