PDA

View Full Version : Panic Build

Watrdawg
02-11-13, 18:38
This build started out accidently. Not in a Panic but as we all know things in the market place are all out of whack. The title of the thread is indicative of what is going on nowadays. I knew I wanted another AR and I was planning on a SPR/Recce type weapon. I already have a Noveske 10.5" SBR and a BCM 14.5" Middy. So the SPR/Recce type weapon was next in line. I had planned on purchasing a LMT complete lower and then a BCM complete 16" Middy upper and mate them together. This only half way came about. Below are my specs

Lower:
Aero Precision Stripped Lower
Colt LPK minus FCG (Pieced together from Brownells)
LMT 2 Stage trigger and safety (Left over from swapping out for Geiselle trigger on my BCM/LMT 14.5" Middy
Vltor Imod stock
Noveske QD end plate and Castle ring

Upper:
BCM 16" BFH barreled upper
Centurion 12" C4 rail
Colt BCG
BCM Mod 4 Charging Handle
Troy Front & Rear Flip Up Buis
A2 Flash Hider

I have not figured out which optic I want to mount on the weapon yet. I know I want some type of 1x - 4 or 6 optic. Leupold, Vortex, TRG24 are all on my list for now. I'm going to try to stay right around $1K for the optic. The weapon is complete except for the optic. I'll post pics soon. One thing I do have to say is that this was my first lower build. I was surprised at how easy it was. The Aero Precision lower seems to be a quality lower. The Colt Lower parts fit perfectly. The BCM upper and AP Lower fit great together. I'm going to take my time deciding on the optic. This build wasnt really supposed to happen right now. All this maddness kind of rushed things along. Luckily I was able to put together a fairly good setup. The only part I don't know too much about is the AP Lower. Everything else is pretty much top of the line. We'll see how the weapon shakes out when I can mount my optic and start putting rounds down range. I do plan on swapping out the LMT trigger for a Geiselle SD-C trigger. I have one in my SBR and love it. I also have a UBR stock on my BCM 14.5" middy that I'm going to swap with the Imod stock. So this build will probably evolve a little more

Aaron_B
02-11-13, 19:15
Sounds all good but put some pics up! I have 2 of the AP lowers/uppers on the way to me, not sure what I am going to do with them yet though. I know one will be built up for the wife. I might be doing a SPR type setup with the other but, time will tell since I have a baby on the way now lol.

discreet
02-11-13, 20:06
Sounds all good but put some pics up! I have 2 of the AP lowers/uppers on the way to me, not sure what I am going to do with them yet though. I know one will be built up for the wife. I might be doing a SPR type setup with the other but, time will tell since I have a baby on the way now lol.

You get them direct through AP? I know aero precision hasnt been fulfilling dealers backorders and instead have been slinging them off on their own, not even using surplus ammo to do it, which is their distributor.

Going rate on AP lowers is like 250$ now, which is mind boggling.

Atlshaun
02-11-13, 20:53
You get them direct through AP? I know aero precision hasnt been fulfilling dealers backorders and instead have been slinging them off on their own, not even using surplus ammo to do it, which is their distributor.

Going rate on AP lowers is like 250$ now, which is mind boggling.

Psa had 'em for like 80 bucks last week

Chumly
02-11-13, 21:59
Psa had 'em for like 80 bucks last week

Disclaimer: I am not an expert and do not work for PSA / Aero Precision / LW Schneider.... but FWIW....

IIRC it is speculated that PSA Lowers are no longer Aero Precision, and that they are now made by LW Schneider.

Older PSA lowers had SN's prefixed with "AP". The newer ones that I have seen are Prefixed "LW".

Wake27
02-11-13, 22:15
Nice man. I am actually in very much the same situation. I had planned on another but the craze pushed it along. I too have an AP lower which does seem pretty nice but have already sold it because I was able to find a complete RA lower. I also had the same BCM upper, very nice. I like those Centurion rails a lot. Whenever I finally venture into my next build (either SBR or SPR, not sure which) realm I will likely put one of them on it. Definitely put some pics up.

Its crazy to think that in October I had two AP lowers in my basket for like $80 or $90 each and just decided that I could wait a little longer...

Watrdawg
02-12-13, 07:14
Ok Here are a couple of pics. They were taken from my phone so not so great. Last night after posting my OP I went ahead and swapped stocks. The Imod is now on my BCM 14.5" and as you can see the UBR is on this rifle. Still deciding on the optic.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/h2odog/photo_zps23c7716c.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/h2odog/ar1_zpsd2a3d417.jpg

SigSlave
02-12-13, 08:13
OP, how do you like the UBR stock? I'm interested in it but the price is high and it looks like the cheek rest area is a little thin. Do you find it comfortable?

Watrdawg
02-12-13, 08:30
I love the UBR stock. I have 2 of them. One on my SBR and now on this rifle. They are expensive but rock solid. The other draw back is that they are heavy. That is one reason I have one on my SBR. With the suppressor on it the UBR balances out my SBR nicely.

Dawgfan4life
02-13-13, 13:09
I have never used the UBR stock but I have heard great reviews on them other than the price tag. I recently completed a build and I decided to go with the Magpul ACS Stock. Very happy with the cheek weld on the stock.
http://imageshack.us/a/img850/9179/arsurefire.jpg

uglyducky
02-24-13, 01:09
Ok Here are a couple of pics. They were taken from my phone so not so great. Last night after posting my OP I went ahead and swapped stocks. The Imod is now on my BCM 14.5" and as you can see the UBR is on this rifle. Still deciding on the optic.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/h2odog/photo_zps23c7716c.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/h2odog/ar1_zpsd2a3d417.jpg

which rail is that?

Aaron_B
02-24-13, 01:15
Not the OP, but I'm pretty sure it's a centurion c4 12 inch.

Watrdawg
02-24-13, 05:20
Yes it is the Centurion C4. I really like it a lot. I've decided I'm going to swap out the Troy Bravo rail on my BCM 14.5" Middy for a Centurion C4 rail. It's lighter than the Troy rail and slimmer.