PDA

View Full Version : Ideal trigger weight for Carry M&p with no thumb safety?

morbidbattlecry
02-11-13, 19:36
I recently picked up a M&p 9mm 4.25 inch barrel non thumb safety model. And it had one of the newer triggers with a nice clean break to it. But it is on the heavy side, i'm guessing about 6 1/2 to 7 lbs. I wanted to reduce the pull just a bit to i installed an Apex hard sear and it want to about 3 1/2 lbs. As i want to use this for carry that not going to work. So what is a decent trigger pull weight i can get away with for a carry gun with out a thumb safety? Around 5 lbs? or do i need to put the original sear in and work with it?

RGoose
02-11-13, 19:45
Apex has what you are looking for here (https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid26.html). Their duty action kit is what I use. works great.

morbidbattlecry
02-11-13, 19:52
Apex has what you are looking for here (https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid26.html). Their duty action kit is what I use. works great.

I already have the hard sear will the springs bring me up to a reasonable carry weight?

RGoose
02-11-13, 20:17
I already have the hard sear will the springs bring me up to a reasonable carry weight?

Yes. Essentially what you already have is a portion of their duty action kit. The springs are what you are missing to take your M&P from a competition weight to a safe duty weight.

tnedator
02-12-13, 00:38
I recently picked up a M&p 9mm 4.25 inch barrel non thumb safety model. And it had one of the newer triggers with a nice clean break to it. But it is on the heavy side, i'm guessing about 6 1/2 to 7 lbs. I wanted to reduce the pull just a bit to i installed an Apex hard sear and it want to about 3 1/2 lbs. As i want to use this for carry that not going to work. So what is a decent trigger pull weight i can get away with for a carry gun with out a thumb safety? Around 5 lbs? or do i need to put the original sear in and work with it?

FWIW, Massad Ayoob recommends that you don't go less than 5-5.5 on a DAO gun. Ideally, you should have a trigger weight in the range that the factory sets their non specialized guns at (meaning, don't base it on lighter performance center triggers).

His reasoning is more about legal ramifications of using the gun in self defense than purely a safety issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

blueorison
02-12-13, 16:34
Ideal is how safe you are.

I do not recommend under a 4.5-5lb trigger.

Most carry guns won't be used in DEFENSE (key word) at even a medium range. A 5 lb trigger is really efficient and more than adequate, at this range.

morbidbattlecry
02-12-13, 17:13
Thanks fellas. I got the apex duty spring kit on the way. I would have loved to keep the trigger as it but i couldn't find a thumb safety to install on it.

C4IGrant
02-12-13, 17:22
Trigger pull weight is ALWAYS based off the owner comfort level. For some, it is 6LBS. For others, it is 3LBS. For me, combat/Defensive guns have a pull weight starting at 4LBS.

C4

morbidbattlecry
02-12-13, 17:26
Trigger pull weight is ALWAYS based off the owner comfort level. For some, it is 6LBS. For others, it is 3LBS. For me, combat/Defensive guns have a pull weight starting at 4LBS.

C4

Is that for any particular trigger type or just in general?

C4IGrant
02-12-13, 17:37
Is that for any particular trigger type or just in general?

Trigger type is irrelevant. Pull weight is what matters.

C4

windellmc
02-12-13, 18:48
If something like a shirt gets in the trigger guard during reholstering the only thing that will save you is a safety. I am not sure I could tell you what pull weight my trigger is in a USPSA run. I imagine I would not even realize the trigger had a pull weight if I ever had to use it in self-defense. I am not convinced a 5.5 lb vs 3.5 lb trigger will be the difference between firing and not firing. It might affect accuracy in an SD shooting.