PDA

View Full Version : Interest in a Survival Snaring Book

Maineshooter
02-11-13, 21:45
I am working with a trapper with 60+ years of experience (mostly in the Maine woods but he has also trapped in a sub tropical climate). He has an extensive knowledge of snaring and the experience to back it up. We may be collaborating on a low cost book that focuses primarily on snaring in a survival situation. The book would focus on equipment selection (affordable, light equipment that doesn't take up much room) as well as site selection to optimize the amount of game caught. A full length DVD is not out of the question as well (he has successfully produced trapping videos).

Before embarking on this, we wanted to throw out the idea here (where there are people actually serious about wilderness survival) to gauge potential interest.

How about it? Is this something any members here would be interested in? If so, we are open to specific feedback as to what to include in the content.

I foresee the book potentially coming out first with the possibility of DVD later.

Thanks,

Maine Shooter

Maineshooter
02-11-13, 21:49
I will add that a lot of the information I have found online and in other open sources isn't actually ideal for success. He has pointed out the reasons why many of these techniques aren't ideal and with a few simple supplies and putting a little bit of thought into setting the snares, your chances of success can be increased greatly.

SeriousStudent
02-11-13, 22:56
How are you thinking of publishing it? Doing it electronically through something like Kindle? Or a print book?

Do you have a ball-park estimate on the price?

Maineshooter
02-11-13, 23:14
How are you thinking of publishing it? Doing it electronically through something like Kindle? Or a print book?

Do you have a ball-park estimate on the price?

Initially it would be a kindle book, priced somewhere in the ballpark or 4 or 5 dollars. A print edition would soon follow if the project worked out but I don't have solid pricing yet on the paperback. It's still in the early stages at this point.

Mat
02-11-13, 23:39
How about it? Is this something any members here would be interested in?

I'm interested! 1 book & DVD sold.

SeriousStudent
02-12-13, 00:18
Five bucks for the Kindle version? I'll buy one for me and gift another copy.

Maineshooter
02-12-13, 09:47
Great - I will keep you all posted.

Straight Shooter
02-12-13, 16:01
A book & DVD would be excellent.

NinjaTactics
02-18-13, 11:13
I would be extremely interested in this and would definitely buy either a Kindle or paperback copy. Accompanying ictures or drawings/sketches of devices and snares would be very helpful when describing things, as well as how to tie related knots and everything else that goes along with snaring.

Tortuga
02-20-13, 21:22
You have a lot of local interest in this...I can see 20+ orders from my guys, as well as trying to get with you for some hands-on training. PM me when you get a chance.

Campbell
02-22-13, 13:47
I'm in for a paperback.

Matt C.
02-25-13, 20:24
I'll take a paperback.

ra2bach
03-02-13, 11:16
this has my interest. a kindle or paperback with good diagrams/pics is on my list when they become available...

lunchbox
03-03-13, 02:24
Def. in for small backpack version in paperback...I personally like youtube for an additional visual refrence used with the reading material. Not to mention practice before get in woods..

Maineshooter
03-24-13, 21:03
I'm sorry to tell you all that the book isn't going to happen. The trapper, who has been a great friend and mentor to me for more than the past 20 years, has passed away unexpectedly. He was really excited about the book (and so was I). We made it through the initial outline and things his health took a turn for the worse. The product would have been a great legacy for his grandchildren to admire and it could have imparted a lot of valuable knowledge.

He did manage to make a coyote trapping video a couple of years ago that sold mostly in New England. I may help his wife market those if she wants to.

I am not a trapper by any stretch of the imagination. But one thing I did take from him during our long conversations was the importance of equipment. His advice to people that could end up snaring in a survival situation was to purchase the proper gear (snare wire or different gauges), clips, etc. and get your rigging set up ahead of time. The emphasis of the book was going to be obtaining the proper hear and using it. He told me that this crap you see about snaring rabbits with shoelaces, etc. will work but is frequently not successful. If you choose the right gear you can put a lot of snares out relatively easily and almost guarantee catches if you know what you are doing.
He assured me that the right setup would be light, portable and easy to set up.
The told me that the basic principles in snaring a rabbit were basically the same principles in snaring a deer, just on a larger scale with a few modifications.

Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge to go on with this project.

He will be missed greatly, especially in the Maine trapping community. My life this week was considerably more empty than it had been just two weeks ago.

I thank all of you for your interest in the book and wish you well.

SeriousStudent
03-24-13, 21:42
Maineshooter, I am very sorry for your loss. Please pass on my sympathies to his family.

It truly is a sad thing, when we lose such people and their knowledge.

Mat
05-14-13, 01:21
what a loss, so sorry.