PDA

View Full Version : Ammo? Whats that??

J-Dub
02-11-13, 22:53
So I'd like to take a pistol class this year, but where in the hell am I going to find 1k of .40 s&w?

Everywhere I look FMJ's are out of stock. When are the ammo manfs. going to catch up??? Anyone in the industry heard anything?

GeorgiaBoy
02-11-13, 23:06
http://www.luckygunner.com/40-sw-165-gr-fmj-blazer-brass-50-rounds#rid=AmmoSeek

56 in stock right now.

Moose-Knuckle
02-12-13, 03:09
I hit several Wal-Mart stores a day after they have staged freight for the overnight stockers. I score at least several times a week. Wal-Mart implemented a company policy of three boxes per day per customer due to the recent events. The night shift crew doesn't know about this policy or they just don't care. I have picked up several cases of PPU .223 .55gr FMJ and Federal AE223H as well as WWB Q3131. I find they get in the value packs of various handgun calbers as well, 500 round cases. It's common to see two cases of each caliber. The stuff is laying around on pallets, be sure to take a cart with you and happy hunting. ;)

Oh, and Wal-Mart has not raised their prices on ammo except the Federal Champion 9mm value packs. And those only went up a dollar.

Magic_Salad0892
02-12-13, 03:15
I hit several Wal-Mart stores a day after they have staged freight for the overnight stockers. I score at least several times a week. Wal-Mart implemented a company policy of three boxes per day per customer due to the recent events. The night shift crew doesn't know about this policy or they just don't care. I have picked up several cases of PPU .223 .55gr FMJ and Federal AE223H as well as WWB Q3131. I find they get in the value packs of various handgun calbers as well, 500 round cases. It's common to see two cases of each caliber. The stuff is laying around on pallets, be sure to take a cart with you and happy hunting. ;)

Oh, and Wal-Mart has not raised their prices on ammo except the Federal Champion 9mm value packs. And those only went up a dollar.

That's actually not a bad idea. I've only been there during the day the past few weeks.

Caeser25
02-12-13, 04:24
See all those people out and about on their phones walking into shit? They're looking for ammo too :D you gotta be on top of it and get lucky every now and again.

Spurholder
02-12-13, 05:09
Here's how I found some CCI .22LR ammo:

http://www.gunbot.net/

Updates every 90 seconds.

mikelowrey
02-12-13, 05:38

Went to Walmart last week and this week, looks they haven't received a shipment in the longest because I keep seeing the same boxes I saw last week. Any chance you the specific day the usually bring stuff in in your local one? Mine is dry

J-Dub
02-12-13, 09:09

Hmmmm that piece of advice might come in handy since I work midnights.......thanks.

Crow Hunter
02-12-13, 09:18
One thing to do is to call whoever is putting on the class, a lot of the time, they will have stocked ammo that they will sell you.

I had to do that when taking a class during the 08 panic. I had some, but not enough for myself and my wife.

woodandsteel
02-12-13, 09:25
Here's how I found some CCI .22LR ammo:

http://www.gunbot.net/

Updates every 90 seconds.

Thanks for the link!

Scored 5 boxes (daily limit) of 9mm before it sold out.

I know what I will be doing for the rest of the day.

Moltke
02-12-13, 09:26
Prayer.

Spurholder
02-12-13, 09:35
Thanks for the link!

Scored 5 boxes (daily limit) of 9mm before it sold out.

I know what I will be doing for the rest of the day.

I check it every half hour. I've had great deals in my shopping cart at several places, only not to make it to check out before it sold out.

brickboy240
02-12-13, 10:13
Hell..I see 40SW everywhere. Lots of WWB 100rd packs and other 100rd boxes of fmj target ammo. 45ACP - sometimes. 9mm...never.

I am also getting tired of there being ZERO 22LR ammo around.

I might sell a coupe of my 22s and buy a bolt gun in 17MHR...at least I could find ammo for THAT rimfire! LOL

This ammo shortage sucks and shows no signs of letting up.

-brickboy240

Moltke
02-12-13, 10:37
That'll teach you all not to stockpile.

Crow Hunter
02-12-13, 10:40
Hell..I see 40SW everywhere. Lots of WWB 100rd packs and other 100rd boxes of fmj target ammo. 45ACP - sometimes. 9mm...never.

I am also getting tired of there being ZERO 22LR ammo around.

I might sell a coupe of my 22s and buy a bolt gun in 17MHR...at least I could find ammo for THAT rimfire! LOL

This ammo shortage sucks and shows no signs of letting up.

-brickboy240

It was like that during the last shortage. I actually was very glad that I had kept my old G23 and extra .357 Sig bbl. (I almost sold it when I consolidated on 9mm and G19 when I sold all my other guns and calibers. But I had carried it so long and I thought I would use it mostly as a host for my AA conversion. I has actually come in quite handy. :D

I could/can usually find one of the 2 at my local Walmart. So I could get in some practice.

brickboy240
02-12-13, 11:39
I have stocks of most centerfire that I need....i want the 22LR to come back.

I failed to "stockpile" that back in 08...because it was always there. Lesson learned...I will pile away the 22LR when it comes back.

-brickboy240

J-Dub
02-12-13, 12:24
That'll teach you all not to stockpile.

No it has taught me that hoarders are annoying. People buying out of fear has caused this, fear hoarders.

Which I would assume a majority are the "zombie tards".

Most which I'd be willing to bet probably shoot once or twice a year.

Alex V
02-12-13, 13:24
If I cant find some cheap .223 soon there won't be any training for this guy this summer :(

at 0.85/round I have to find another hobby...

Moose-Knuckle
02-12-13, 15:07
See all those people out and about on their phones walking into shit? They're looking for ammo too :D you gotta be on top of it and get lucky every now and again.

No kidding, I saw a guy at one Wal-Mart who had an app on his iPhone that allowed him to scan the bar codes of ammo on the empty shelves and it would tell him when it was supposed be replenished. I overheard him talking to another guy he was with and he said that it wasn't very accurate.

Went to Walmart last week and this week, looks they haven't received a shipment in the longest because I keep seeing the same boxes I saw last week. Any chance you the specific day the usually bring stuff in in your local one? Mine is dry

Negative, they get trucks daily and the ammo is infrequent. I have asked multiple employees at various stores and they all confirm this. It literally is the luck of the draw. I DO NOT go out of my way and waste gas doing this. I’m a third watcher so on my commute home I hit three stores that are along the way.

Moltke
02-12-13, 15:13
No it has taught me that hoarders are annoying. People buying out of fear has caused this, fear hoarders.

They may have bought because they heard the words "gun" and "ban", but you should still stock up if you plan to shoot. The fact you didn't sucks, but it's not their fault that you don't have ammo. This isn't the first gun/ammo shortage, and it won't be the last.

Next time ammo is plentiful and affordable, I suggest people buy it regularly whether or not they plan to shoot it right away.

Moose-Knuckle
02-12-13, 15:21
Next time ammo is plentiful and affordable, I suggest people buy it regularly whether or not they plan to shoot it right away.

This is my modus operandi as well.

Alex V
02-12-13, 15:29

I hope this time actually happens. Who knows how long this will last.

Moltke
02-12-13, 15:33
I think that all of 2013 is going to suck, but then again, I'm not an optimist.

J-Dub
02-12-13, 15:35
I hope this time actually happens. Who knows how long this will last.

Exactly. All the hoarders wait around and buy out everything the minute it hits the shelf. If they keep it up the industry will never be able to catch up.

I have no problem for those that stock up on ammo, but some people take it so far its crazy. Buy bulk cases of ammo, dont go in and buy every single box on the shelf

I mean dang, sometimes it would be nice to just walk in to a gun shop and buy some ammo and go shoot. Not these days!! Gotta stock up because all the jackholes bring their cousin, uncles, aunts, sisters, ect to buy as many boxes as possible.......cause the zombies are coming....or they've got some red dawn wet dream.

brickboy240
02-12-13, 17:04
I just wish I had thought about stocking way up on 22LR while I was slowly building my supplies of 223, 9mm, 45, 40SW and 7.62x39.

Why I never thought the 22LR would go away..well...I don't know...but it sure did.

Lesson learned. When the supplies get back to "normal" I am slowly going to build a supply of 22LR just like I have several thousands of the other calibers. Probably buy a few 50cal ammo cans and just fill them up to be rat holed away.

-brickboy240

Moose-Knuckle
02-12-13, 18:02
Exactly. All the hoarders wait around and buy out everything the minute it hits the shelf. If they keep it up the industry will never be able to catch up.

I have no problem for those that stock up on ammo, but some people take it so far its crazy. Buy bulk cases of ammo, dont go in and buy every single box on the shelf

I mean dang, sometimes it would be nice to just walk in to a gun shop and buy some ammo and go shoot. Not these days!! Gotta stock up because all the jackholes bring their cousin, uncles, aunts, sisters, ect to buy as many boxes as possible.......cause the zombies are coming....or they've got some red dawn wet dream.

Or worse yet your local gun show "ammo dealers" who buy out discount stores (Wal-Mart, etc.) just to mark it up two or three times at the next show. :rolleyes:

PlatoCATM
02-12-13, 19:21
I've read of instructors offering lower round count courses, most notably Defoor. Not that it helps with finding ammo, but it helps with being able to afford to shoot through a course instead of reading AARs.

GeorgiaBoy
02-12-13, 19:26
Since "most" of the Federal anti gun talk is starting to subside, and people are going back to their daily lives, unless further action is taken at a federal level I think we will start seeing supplies recover by the summer and things being closer to normal by this time next year.

Wake27
02-12-13, 19:31
Since "most" of the Federal anti gun talk is starting to subside, and people are going back to their daily lives, unless further action is taken at a federal level I think we will start seeing supplies recover by the summer and things being closer to normal by this time next year.

That's what I'm hoping too. I was too young and not anywhere involved in the sport in 08 so I really didn't realize the potential for shortages. Sucks.

Caeser25
02-12-13, 19:48
Who would've thought .22LR would be hard to come buy :suicide:

PA PATRIOT
02-12-13, 19:50
Had a friend at WalMart today scan all the ammo shelve tags to see if anything was coming into stock shortly.

Every tag showed "ZERO" stock at the warehouse.

Might be a while before ammo starts to flow normally.

Moose-Knuckle
02-12-13, 20:02
Who would've thought .22LR would be hard to come buy :suicide:

It dried up in '08 as did .380.

.22lr is about the only thing many can afford to shoot in volume these days.

feedramp
02-12-13, 21:33

Yeah but you can't change that, so it should teach you to plan ahead and stockpile a little bit. That way you control the situation rather than it controlling you(r ability to shoot).