PDA

View Full Version : Zeroing A MKIII 22/45

Mac5.56
02-11-13, 23:35
Hey Everyone,

I've been looking at buying a MKIII for well over a year now so that I can really practice the fundamentals of pistol shooting without breaking the bank. As those of you know that live in NY buying a pistol here is a real pain in the ass, and trying something out is hardly an option. I had the model I wanted picked out prior to the passage of the NY (NOT SO) SAFE ACT, back when I could easily get a firearm.

Well fast forward and I recently was friggen lucky enough to get one of two MKIII that were shipped to my county, and I snatched it up despite the fact that it was the 22/45 model without the option of modular grips. The price was right and there were two mags (which in this climate comes to 1/3 the guns cost if I sell them in State).

Anyway sorry for the ramble. I'm new to pistols. I can shoot sub MOA with a rifle, and about 7 MOA with a pistol (minus the occasional flier). I bought this gun to reduce that number significantly. But I know nothing about where to start.

What range would you zero this pistol at? It has target sites (major plus), with windage and elevation adjustments on the rear. What yardage would you suggest I dial it in at? Also I was reading the manual and it suggests a "hold over" site picture, would you suggest this, and if so what MOA would the target you hold over on be?

Thanks for your help guys.

okie john
02-12-13, 00:50
I can shoot sub MOA with a rifle, and about 7 MOA with a pistol (minus the occasional flier).

Congratulations on getting your Ruger. I predict that you won't notice the grips after the first 50 rounds.

Minute of angle (MOA) is an angular measurement. 1 MOA is 1" at just over 100 yards, so 7 MOA is 7" at 100 yards, 3.5" at 50, and 1.75" at 25. With a handgun, that's superb shooting. Are you sure that your 7 MOA figure here is correct?

What range would you zero this pistol at? It has target sites (major plus), with windage and elevation adjustments on the rear. What yardage would you suggest I dial it in at?

I'd zero dead on at 25 yards--when you hold in the center of the black, half of your hits are above the target's center and half are below. Most people would be delighted with a 3" group at this range. 5-6" is still darned good for offhand work.

Also I was reading the manual and it suggests a "hold over" site picture, would you suggest this, and if so what MOA would the target you hold over on be?

MOA holdovers make a lot of sense for rifle shooting because scoped rifles are so much easier to shoot well at long range. They're really too small to be of much use with iron-sighted handguns. Depending on the load, if you zero a 22 at 25 yards, then you'll be close to dead on at 10 yards and a little bit high at 15, then 3-4" low at 50.

As for the target itself, you want to match it to the sights. A 6" bull is great at 25. Go smaller up close and bigger farther away.

Okie John

Urban_Redneck
02-12-13, 07:31
I have my 22/45 sighted POI=POA at 15 yards.

There is a small cross pin on the rear sight that you ought to keep an eye on, mine likes to walk.

Mac5.56
02-12-13, 07:51
Minute of angle (MOA) is an angular measurement. 1 MOA is 1" at just over 100 yards, so 7 MOA is 7" at 100 yards, 3.5" at 50, and 1.75" at 25. With a handgun, that's superb shooting. Are you sure that your 7 MOA figure here is correct?

No I was dead wrong... :) I was talking about 7 at 25 yards. Sorry thanks for the lesson.

Mac5.56
02-12-13, 08:01
Thanks guys for taking the time to post back. I can't wait to get this pistol out and shoot it. I knew I was going to buy it for a long time, and I shoot 22LR rifles so unlike most I have plenty of .22 at the moment.

blueorison
02-12-13, 16:33
Zero at 25 yards. The Ruger will shoot 50 yards very accurately.

Alternatively, zero at 15 meters, if you don't shoot past that.

Cut the target with the sights, just as you should with most pistols and applications.