PDA

View Full Version : M&P mag release ?

rauchman
02-12-13, 09:48
Greetings,

I happen to be a big fan of the Euro style mag release (think Walther, HK). I have short thumbs and find when using a thumb style mag release on most pistols, I have to shift my grip. With the Euro style mag release, I use my trigger finger to release the mag, and find it faster w/out having to shift my grip.

I've been in an M&P love fest lately and have been experimenting w/ reversing the mag release to be actuated by the trigger finger. To put it another way, the mag release is currently setup for conventional "lefty", but I'm using it "righty" and using my trigger finger to actuate. If I use the mag release in the conventional "righty" setup (using the thumb), I'm shifting my grip heavily. Using the mag release reversed, I'm able to use my trigger finger w/out having to shift my grip and I'm faster releasing the mag. I do notice however, that depending on how I grip the pistol, my middle finger seems to be riding over the mag release. So far, I haven't had any non-intentional mag releases, but I've been aware/concerned of the possibility.

Has anyone else tried this method and what were your results?

ra2bach
02-12-13, 11:08
I am a lefty and have shot RH guns forever without seeing a need to reverse the mag release...

wahoo95
02-12-13, 11:47
You may benefit from swapping out your mag catch for the Costa Catalyst.

sapper36
02-12-13, 12:07
When shooting left handed I always use my trigger finger to press the magazine release. However being right handed I keep it set up the way it is suppose to be.

NCMedic
02-12-13, 12:57
I'm left handed, I have always used my index finger to work the magazine release, I've tried to reverse them on my M&Ps and didn't prefer it.

Sent from this using that...

jonconsiglio
02-12-13, 13:06
I just grabbed my M&P9 and I actually had to adjust my grip more to release the mag with my index finger. When using my right hand, I don't have to adjust at all to release the mag with my thumb.

So, I tried with my Glock 17 gen3 with the OEM mag release, which does force me to slightly adjust my grip to release the mag with my thumb. When switching hands, I have to adjust my grip just slightly more to release the mag with my index finger.

This may very well just be what's happening for me, but I have a hard time seeing how someone could release the mag with their index finger without adjusting their grip. It just seems like more movement and extra work.

If using a Costa Catalyst mag release, I doubt any grip change would be needed.

If it works, it works. But, I'd certainly look at other options just to be 100%. Using my thumb just feels more secure. But, that's likely because it's all I know, including my time with HK's.

rauchman
02-12-13, 14:18
Thanks for everyone's replies. I would guess hand geometry plays a role in this. Again, thanks!

JSantoro
02-12-13, 14:46
You may benefit from swapping out your mag catch for the Costa Catalyst.

That's one, and there's something to look at, first..

Three guys I know, who have stubby thumbs and use M&Ps, mitigated or eliminated how much they had to break their firing grip to hit the mag release. They did that by reducing or completely filing away that built-up area that slopes upward from the grip, toward the release buton itself.

I don't have access to photos of a pistol, otherwise I'd gin up one with a circle on the area, so I pulled a post from the M&P photo thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1543959&postcount=1796

Note the un-stippled area behind the mag release button in the lower photo.....see if THAT material is working to block your thumb. If so, see if reducing that assists you in coming at the thing from the rear ('from the rear,' waka wakaaaaa! :p ), instead having to hit it flush on the top to depress it.

In effect, little different than those thumb-cuts one sees on some 1911 grips. Might be worth a look-see....

rauchman
02-13-13, 08:38
That's one, and there's something to look at, first..

Three guys I know, who have stubby thumbs and use M&Ps, mitigated or eliminated how much they had to break their firing grip to hit the mag release. They did that by reducing or completely filing away that built-up area that slopes upward from the grip, toward the release buton itself.

I don't have access to photos of a pistol, otherwise I'd gin up one with a circle on the area, so I pulled a post from the M&P photo thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1543959&postcount=1796

Note the un-stippled area behind the mag release button in the lower photo.....see if THAT material is working to block your thumb. If so, see if reducing that assists you in coming at the thing from the rear ('from the rear,' waka wakaaaaa! :p ), instead having to hit it flush on the top to depress it.

In effect, little different than those thumb-cuts one sees on some 1911 grips. Might be worth a look-see....

JSantoro, thanks for that info. That might be the best solution to my problem. I've already done a little modifying to the frame, so doing a little more shouldn't be an issue.

Again, thanks for that info!

GUNSLINGER733
02-13-13, 10:18
I installed the Catalyst and it did help out. On a side note I took home a friend ruger sr9 and noticed the mag release is ambi, it is always ready for a lefty. When I tried it out I felt awkward because when shooting left handed I've always used my index finger.