PDA

View Full Version : Precision Bolt Gun vs General Bolt Gun

afff_667
02-12-13, 10:45
I hate posting because I don't want to be "that" guy, but I've got a question about when/if a General Bolt Gun can become a Precision Bolt Gun and what it takes to make that happen. I've used the search function and have been looking through threads in both categories, but it seems like there's kind of an "either-or" treatment of the subject.

I'd like to become involved with long range shooting, including some formal training, but would like to ease into it at a pace that's comfortable for both my wife and wallet. Let's say that I follow Kyle Defoor's example of building a basic rifle that he described as an Everyman Hunting Rifle (http://kyledefoor.tumblr.com/post/32826327608/everyman-hunting-rifle-part-1-the-action) . I'd say that his outline describes something that's probably more of a general bolt gun than precision. I realize that there are significant upgrades and options available to both the gun and glass, but I'm curious if that sort of rifle could provide an appropriate beginner's level precision bolt gun with the realization that time spent behind it will help identify needed or desired future upgrades.

In the Everyman Hunting Rifle, are there any immediate upgrades or options, i.e. glass, barrel length, etc, from the outset that would make it more "precision" than "general?"

Thanks in advance...

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-12-13, 11:01
Start with the definitions of the two words you are seeking.

Read
http://www.longrangehunting.com/

taliv
02-12-13, 11:05
it just depends on what YOU're going to do with it.

i would describe general purpose to mean *I* can do any of the following passably well with it after retrieving it from the back of a pickup truck, day or night, rain or shine, hot or cold:
sling it up and hike a mile or more
kill a deer
shoot an intruder
kill a moving coyote or wild dog
hit a 10" plate at 500 yards for target practice and fun

and that it would hold at least 5 rounds.

by contrast, precision means different things to different people. strictly speaking, it could just mean a 30 lb benchrest gun with a 1oz trigger and fixed 40x scope.

or it could be just more stringent version of the first criteria. e.g. maybe you want to be able to hit a 3" plate at 500.

i guess what i'm saying is figure out what you want to do and design for that goal. don't worry about the semantics.

orkan
02-12-13, 12:17
Lots of moving parts to your question. Solidify some of them by asking smaller, more specific questions. Then you can fill in the big picture yourself by combining the smaller answers to form your overall conclusion.

As Taliv pointed out; What you want to do with said rifle, will determine how it needs to be configured for optimal success in that specific application.

That being said, the tide is changing as new designs emerge. For instance, I could sell you a DTA SRS or Covert... and you'd be hard pressed to find something it's not good at. Yet you still need to know what you want to be doing with it in order to define the best choices of options.

afff_667
02-12-13, 12:35
it just depends on what YOU're going to do with it.

i would describe general purpose to mean *I* can do any of the following passably well with it after retrieving it from the back of a pickup truck, day or night, rain or shine, hot or cold:
sling it up and hike a mile or more
kill a deer
shoot an intruder
kill a moving coyote or wild dog
hit a 10" plate at 500 yards for target practice and fun

and that it would hold at least 5 rounds.

by contrast, precision means different things to different people. strictly speaking, it could just mean a 30 lb benchrest gun with a 1oz trigger and fixed 40x scope.

or it could be just more stringent version of the first criteria. e.g. maybe you want to be able to hit a 3" plate at 500.

i guess what i'm saying is figure out what you want to do and design for that goal. don't worry about the semantics.

Thanks for the responses. I posted because the definitions of general and precision in my mind were pretty much the same...a long gun to shoot a target at some distance beyond 50 -100 yards. I kept coming back to my uninformed observation that many of the "precision" guns I've seen described here and elsewhere, other than those that are highly specialized, appeared to be upgraded, often very significantly upgraded, "general" guns. A simple thought for a simple mind, I suppose...

My goals are to simply have another tool, something else to take to the range and shoot, something to help broaden my overall shooting experience, knowledge, and skills. I don't make my living with firearms, and I don't have a place to hunt anymore. The Defoor build offered some concrete ideas for a solid rifle. It sounds like it would get me out to 500 yards or so and allow me to build the fundamentals of long distance shooting while not having to sell a kidney to jump into the action. With that in mind, I was basically asking if (a) that was a workable approach, and (b) if there were any considerations or specific recommendations for upgrades not to ignore from the outset.

The Longrange Hunting site is great, so I'll spend more time there and in General Bolt Guns.