PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun stocks and length of pull

BAC
03-10-08, 21:21
After a recent trip to Bass Pro, I got to play with a shotgun wearing a telescoping stock. I don't really like telescoping stocks, but I did note that I actually liked the shorter length of pull it provided in its lowest and second to lowest settings (pretty consistent with how I like shooting ARs).

That said, does anybody know a good source for quality after market fixed stocks for shotguns with a shorter length of pull than the standard fixed stock length or am I stuck with a telescoping stock for that? Are there any good (as in, "UBR" of the shotgun world) telecoping stocks I should look for, or is a shorter length of pull not even recommended for shotgun use?

If it matters, I currently have a Mossberg 500 but might replace it with an 870 soon, and I think the only thing the shotgun would be used for is five stand and skeet shooting.

-B

Buck
03-10-08, 21:28
LINK (http://www.speedfeedinc.com/?location=products)

Look at the speedfeed youth length tactical stocks... They are very high quality and have a 13' length of pull... Very similar to a carbine stock...

I personally like the MK IV with a surefire tac-light forend... But thats just me...

My .02

Buck

rhino
03-10-08, 21:36
I have a Hogue youth stock on an 870 that yields just under a 12 inch length of pull. If I could get something that short for my 1100, I'd have a gungasm, but it's impossible given the way the 1100s are built.

The Speedfeeds are good stocks, just an inch longer. The youth model is good if you like a standard stock. The TAC-IV-S is good if you like the pistol grip stock.

ST911
03-11-08, 02:13
I like short stocks, and all my guns have them. Guns that work hard and don't need to look pretty go to the table saw. 1-2" off usually works for me. I fit the pad if it's too fugly or poorly fitting. The Hogue, Speedfeed, various "youth" and "tactical" purpose-built stocks are all good options.

It's been my experience that the LOP the industry is producing is too long for pretty much everybody, and most like losing an inch or so. There are some exceptions.

Try it.

Striker5
03-11-08, 09:06
Brownell's carries a few different options of "cadet" or youth" stocks. I have the Speedfeed youth version, which is also tapped for a sling swivel. - Not intended to hijack, but does anyone have an opinion on pistol gripped FULL stocks, vs traditional profile. I am about to get another youth stock and was thinking about going with the MkIV.

Fozzy_Bear
03-11-08, 10:33
I can't recommend highly enough the KNOXX stock. It's adjustable, like you are asking about and it does an absolutely unbelievable job and reducing recoil and allowing faster follow-on shots. It also comes for both the mossy and the 870.

I know I'm new to this particular site, and may appear as a N00b, but please take a minute to investigate Knoxx. You'll be glad you did.

BAC
03-11-08, 10:54
Thanks for the input guys.

While I really like the Hogue Overmold stocks, none of them have a pistol grip, which is something I like despite having grown up on a standard stock. I’ll have to settle on a Hogue forend and be happy. For the stock itself, I’m torn between having Speedfeed stock trimmed down two or three inches per Skintop’s idea or getting a Knoxx Spec Ops (they seem to have a pretty good following and be pretty durable) and just accepting an adjustable stock might be best.

-B

rob_s
03-11-08, 11:11
I seem to remember a way of determining optimum shotgun LOP based measuring from the inside of the elbow when bent 90 degrees out to... maybe the inside of the trigger-finger bent as if on a trigger?

Something like that...

rhino
03-11-08, 14:38
Brownell's carries a few different options of "cadet" or youth" stocks. I have the Speedfeed youth version, which is also tapped for a sling swivel. - Not intended to hijack, but does anyone have an opinion on pistol gripped FULL stocks, vs traditional profile. I am about to get another youth stock and was thinking about going with the MkIV.

For me, it depends on how I am shooting. If I am shooting shot with just a front bead with a gun that fits (i.e. the shot pattern goes where I am looking when the gun is mounted), then a conventional stock is definitely faster.

If I'm specifically using sights like rifle sights (which is slower to start), then I find that I can get the sights aligned in front of my eye easier with a pistol grip.

If you shoot a gun with significant recoil (I mostly shoot an 1100), then I think a pistol helps you manage that a bit easier, although it's a personal preference thing for the most part.

If you have to shoot with one hand, then the pistol grip makes it easier too.

The ready position I use is easier with a pistol grip.

Hersh
03-11-08, 16:50
Here's another adjustable option http://www.choatestocks.com/MK5Conv.html

MT Predator
04-01-08, 21:23
I can't recommend highly enough the KNOXX stock. It's adjustable, like you are asking about and it does an absolutely unbelievable job and reducing recoil and allowing faster follow-on shots. It also comes for both the mossy and the 870.

I know I'm new to this particular site, and may appear as a N00b, but please take a minute to investigate Knoxx. You'll be glad you did.

+100 I put one on my Mossy 835 and it really tames 3 1/2"!

RyanB
04-01-08, 22:47
I seem to remember a way of determining optimum shotgun LOP based measuring from the inside of the elbow when bent 90 degrees out to... maybe the inside of the trigger-finger bent as if on a trigger?

Something like that...

Thats traditional, for choosing the LOP of a sporting longarm. I like fighting shotguns to be shorter.

one
04-02-08, 00:02
Several years ago they were working on a Sully short stock for shotguns but I don't guess it ever panned out.

I forgot about it after a while and then a couple months ago e mailed them to ask if it ever went into production but they didn't even bother to respond to my inquiry.

I just cut down the existing stock on my 870 and reshaped the shoulder pad.

LouDiamond
04-02-08, 00:03
Thanks for the input guys.

For the stock itself, I’m torn between having Speedfeed stock trimmed down two or three inches per Skintop’s idea or getting a Knoxx Spec Ops
-B

I would highly recommend you look at Mesa Tactical's (http://www.mesatactical.com/)
Telescoping stocks and the enidine recoil system they offer along with their other accessories. A side by side comparison of the Mesa stock and the Knoxx stock can be seen Here. (http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=109059&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=enidine&start=0) You will be hard pressed to find a better telescoping stock for a shotgun than the Mesa one IMO.

one
04-02-08, 00:11
One thing about pistol gripped stocks and Mossbergs is they're definetly not user friendly towards the safety that is positioned on top of the receiver.

John Fettes
04-06-08, 21:40
I'm pleased with the Speedfeed youth stock I bought from Brownell's. It has no provision for spare shells, and that's OK with me.

IIRC, Clint Smith shows a way of checking LOP fit on his Shotgun VHS tape. When griping the hand grip on your stock, place the butt in the crook of you elbow joint. You should have room to place the knife blade edge of your hand between the butt/recoil pad and your upper arm.

John

Mojo58
04-07-08, 00:24
+1 on the Knoxx Spec Ops stock.

Ever since I installed one on my Mossberg 590A1, it's been alot more fun to shoot. It handles the recoil of magnum rounds and makes shooting them for extended periods of time enjoyable. Easy to install and the adjustment is "common" to my AR. If you're considering a sling for it, my two point adjustable Viking Tactics sling is mounted on mine with the only replacement being the mag tube cap.

SLR15
04-17-08, 23:05
Several years ago they were working on a Sully short stock for shotguns but I don't guess it ever panned out.

I forgot about it after a while and then a couple months ago e mailed them to ask if it ever went into production but they didn't even bother to respond to my inquiry.

I just cut down the existing stock on my 870 and reshaped the shoulder pad.

We do have the Sully Shotgun Stock. These are machined and at the moment we are using that CNC to manufacture SLR15 lower receivers. The Sully Shotgun Stocks will go into production after we free up the machine, which could be awhile.

Furious
05-19-08, 14:53
I had the Bantum stock on mine for awhile and I hated it. every time I fired it I got a cheek full of my thumb knuckle. Theres nothing worse than punching yourself. I replaced it with an ATI overfolder.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/Stylensky/Mossberg001.jpg

rhino
06-21-08, 02:27
I'm looking for a short(er) stock for a Winchester SX2 Practical. They're easy to find for most pump guns or for Remington or Benelli self-loaders, but I can't find anything for the Win SX2P.

Any ideas?

Or am I going to have to have the stock shortened? Anyone know anyone who has done that on a Win SX2P?