PDA

View Full Version : Any tomahawk users here?

Gunzilla
02-12-13, 18:37
What is it about a tomahawk that coaxed you into buying one?.....and did you go with a high-end hawk or a low-end hawk....tactical or utilitarian?

Here's my 2 Hawks War Beast shortly after buying it a couple years ago, it doesn't look this nice now. (excuse the Serpa POS, it's since been replaced with a Safariland rig...as has the 1911 Frankengun with a DW Valor):

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n8/eurowannabe/2Hawks/DSC_4517.jpg

Kain
02-12-13, 19:56
I like tomahawks, have one myself and as far as a fighting tool I think they are very neat. That said the fact that they are hard to carry and with most sheaths a pain in the ass to deploy quickly compared to a knife tends to reduce it as far as a fighting tool in many minds.

I personally have a SOG Fast Hawk that a friend gave me for christmas a year back. He bought one for himself as well. We then took and stippled the handles and painted them, he went tan and brown, I went OD green and Brown. I like it a lot, will invest in a higher end one down the road I am sure, really like the Emerson hawk I have handled that a friend of mine has.

CoryCop25
02-12-13, 20:03
I have a cheap tomahawk in my gear bag. My co workers were rolling their eyes when they saw it. I had a crash where the driver died of a massive heart attack while driving and the vehicle went into the creek. Well, if it wasn't for the tomahawk, we wouldn't have been able to get the body out of the creek. It's a very useful tool.

Frank207
02-13-13, 10:52
On a lighter note: At camp, instead of throwing horseshoes we throw tomahawks. Very entertaining after several rounds of beers.

sn8kedoc
02-13-13, 18:42
Nice war beast, I've been thinking about getting one myself. That is after i get my Winkler combat axe and Sayoc.

theblackknight
02-13-13, 18:44
On a lighter note: At camp, instead of throwing horseshoes we throw tomahawks. Very entertaining after several rounds of beers.

Best post ever. Thanks for braving the on coming safety nazis.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Ready.Fire.Aim
02-13-13, 20:57

LOL, brings back memories? When I was a kid we used to throw roofing hatchets at a tree . We were imitating Walt Disney's Davey Crocket show.
Great fun--Until my buddy took two turns in a row. His little brother got pissed, and decided it was fair game to hit him with the hatchet; he threw the hatchet and hit his brother in the back as he ran off, just bruised him.
Of course we all ran, hid, and watched as his mom came out in the yard with a belt and whipped the dickens out of both of them, just for being stupid. And we never played that game at their house again. Growing up in the 1960s was great.

I think of that day every time I see a " tactical tomahawk"

Have fun,
RFA

panzerr
02-13-13, 21:05
Yep, I'm a hawk user.

Circa 20006

http://sixty-six.org/x_drive/iraq_hawk.JPG

lunchbox
02-13-13, 22:06
I will use a the ol' T-hawk in a wilderness setting on occasion. Have yet to bag anything with it (always have gun close by). As far as type, I guess its "Traditional"..I got it from the local blacksmith:D, I might have to get him to bang me out a tacti-cool one.:dirol:

ap1220
02-14-13, 20:14
I've always wanted one and have been seriously looking at them for the past 6 months or so. I've always been into martial weapons of all types and from all over the world(swords, polearms, axes) and time(ancient, medieval, all the way up to modern).

Something about the Tomahawk in particular always drew me to it though, possibly(and probably), because it's truely an "American", martial weapon. Yes there have been one handed axes in the past but something about that sleek wood and wicked metal blade just calls to me.

Been looking at the Ft. Turner http://www.fortturner.com/store/index.htm 'hawks but somehow I never saw these ones. I'm liking that Warbeast now :sarcastic: thanks for more options lol.

bigghoss
02-15-13, 03:27
Over on bladeforums.com a lot of guys were talking about the cold steel tomahawks so I looked into them a bit and ordered a CS trailhawk for woods use. They aren't GTG right out of the box but for the price they aren't bad. Haven't really had a chance to really thump on it but it's light and should out chop my large knives.

panzerr
02-15-13, 06:43
Over on bladeforums.com a lot of guys were talking about the cold steel tomahawks so I looked into them a bit and ordered a CS trailhawk for woods use. They aren't GTG right out of the box but for the price they aren't bad. Haven't really had a chance to really thump on it but it's light and should out chop my large knives.

Yeah I have a trailhawk as well. They are in the "meh" category. It didn't take long for the head to come loose. I need to lash it on with some 550 cord so it won't slip off. I find the blade to be too narrow to be that great for any sort of wood cutting and it doesn't throw very well.

Shao
02-15-13, 06:50
I had a bad experience as a youngster that turned me away from hawks. My brother had bought me Cold Steel Vietnam hawk one Christmas and, of course, immediately upon unwrapping it, we ran into the back yard to start lobbing it at our throwing log. First throw - missed the log completely. Second throw - a careening shot off the log. Third throw - handle first into the target, hickory handle shatters into 3 pieces. I never gave another hawk a chance after that. If I want a chopping type of weapon, give me a kukri. If I want a throwing weapon or stabbing weapon, give me a knife. I'd rather carry a spear or katana even...

I just don't see the point in them. IMO there's only one thing a tomahawk can do better than a kukri - be used as an effective throwing weapon - but that would be a last ditch move anyway. You shouldn't throw your weapon at someone unless you have a better weapon to use against them at hand. A few years back I had the idea of trying to make the tactical spear a big thing - my argument?

Say you're thrown into an arena with a stranger and you're forced to fight to the death. There are two weapons in the center of the ring: a tomahawk, and a spear - which do you go for?

panzerr
02-15-13, 07:05
I had a bad experience as a youngster that turned me away from hawks. My brother had bought me Cold Steel Vietnam hawk one Christmas and, of course, immediately upon unwrapping it, we ran into the back yard to start lobbing it at our throwing log. First throw - missed the log completely. Second throw - a careening shot off the log. Third throw - handle first into the target, hickory handle shatters into 3 pieces. I never gave another hawk a chance after that. If I want a chopping type of weapon, give me a kukri. If I want a throwing weapon or stabbing weapon, give me a knife. I'd rather carry a spear or katana even...

I just don't see the point in them. IMO there's only one thing a tomahawk can do better than a kukri - be used as an effective throwing weapon - but that would be a last ditch move anyway. You shouldn't throw your weapon at someone unless you have a better weapon to use against them at hand. A few years back I had the idea of trying to make the tactical spear a big thing - my argument?

Say you're thrown into an arena with a stranger and you're forced to fight to the death. There are two weapons in the center of the ring: a tomahawk, and a spear - which do you go for?

So you broke a hawk with a bad throw and gave up? Suit yourself.

We are not talking end of the world and we certainly are not talking about a Captain Kirk in a ring vs some alien Gladiator scenario. We are talking tomahawks, which are multipurpose tools that are great at nothing in particular, but can get the job done if they need to.

AZ-Renegade
02-15-13, 07:49
I like the nostalgia of tomahawks and have been wanting to get a good, functional one for a while, as well as one for throwing. I handled the ones made by 2 Hawks at a gunshow in December and they seemed like really nice hawks, even the wife wanted one!

The only one I have right now is a American Tomahawk Laguna Tactical.

Throwing knives and tomahawks is a fun backyard or camping activity, but I wouldn't want to throw one in self defense. I practice throwing lead for that.

Frank207
02-15-13, 09:03
Throwing hawks and breaking handles are part of it.. You break less handles the better you get.. We tend to split each others hawk handles as and FU while throwing.

Shao
02-15-13, 09:15
Ehhh.. I was a kid... It ruined me for life... I was proficient at knife throwing already and seeing my x-mas gift break like that was enough to scare me off from wanting another ever again. I really don't see any legitimate use for them. Like I said - a Kukri can chop better as well as pierce (something most hawks can't do).. I can only think of two things that you can do with a hawk that you really can't with a kukri - throw it, and hook appendages. I think the tactical tomahawk thing is a just a fad and will fade away. I'd take a 3/8" thick, 12-14" kukri hand forged by a group of nth generation bladesmiths from a Mercedes truck spring over some CNCed stock-removal stainless steel hawk any day. Sorry, just my opinion.

...and I still think the tactical short spear is a great idea... If any manufacturers are interested, PM me - I have prototypes and plans.

BlackestOps
02-15-13, 09:25
A friend of mine got me on hawks about a year ago. I went cheap with the large SOG and it cuts and splits better than I expected. Anyone looking for a way to carry it...SOG has a a blade sheath for belt/tekloc, put the spike in and rotate the blade up and it locks it locks in place.

Guns-up.50
02-15-13, 09:29

Both, IF they both in the center I'll grab both and he'll be sol

soulezoo
02-15-13, 22:56
I've got a smaller hawk made by Browning. Or I should say short handled on my bat-mo-belt. It also unsheathes from the bottom like described above.

It's a compromise from a long handled hawk, but meets my needs for being lighter and easier handling.

And I have a parang on my pack for a "larger" weapon. Or a spetsnaz shovel if I have to go all russian on somebody.

Shao
02-15-13, 23:13
Both, IF they both in the center I'll grab both and he'll be sol

Let's pretend for argument's sake that you can only grab one.

Just think - a modular tactical spear - composite body with threaded end. You could attach a spearhead, a rescue hook, an inspection/lookout mirror, a taser tip even... TACTICAL SPEAR FTW!!!

bigghoss
02-16-13, 02:08
Let's pretend for argument's sake that you can only grab one.

Just think - a modular tactical spear - composite body with threaded end. You could attach a spearhead, a rescue hook, an inspection/lookout mirror, a taser tip even... TACTICAL SPEAR FTW!!!

Lets not forget a tactical bacon dispenser, tactical bendy straw attachment for covertly sneaking sips of people's drinks, tactical sharpie for writing on stuff out of reach, and tactical Chuck Norris attachment to roundhouse kick your opponents. It'll need to be wrapped in 550 cord and have rails to attach lights, lasers, scopes and other accessories. Oh and the tactical fleshlight aatachment for when things calm down. :D I keed I keed.

glocktogo
02-18-13, 02:43
Lets not forget a tactical bacon dispenser, tactical bendy straw attachment for covertly sneaking sips of people's drinks, tactical sharpie for writing on stuff out of reach, and tactical Chuck Norris attachment to roundhouse kick your opponents. It'll need to be wrapped in 550 cord and have rails to attach lights, lasers, scopes and other accessories. Oh and the tactical fleshlight aatachment for when things calm down. :D I keed I keed.

Don't forget it should be hollow, as to double as a blowgun! :D

Gunzilla
02-18-13, 11:16
Ehhh.. I was a kid... It ruined me for life...

I hated Broccoli when I was a kid....I grew into liking it....don't ask me how, I just did....I guess I was willing to give it another chance.

The first problem you had was throwing your tomahawk, would you really give up your only weapon in a real fight? Throwing a tomahawk or knife looks good on the silver screen but in real life it's awful way to defend yourself....giving up your weapon to your attacker can't be the best move to make in a life or death fight.

Throwing a tomahawk (or knife) is RECREATION, and nothing more...and to throw a tomahawk correctly you need to be about 10 feet away for a single rotation and about 21 feet away for 2 rotations. That may vary slightly depending on your throwing style and the hawk.

In a real life situation I'd want my attacker to fight through my weapon to get to me and not attacking me with it after my poor deployment.....but that's just me. :smile:

AZ-Renegade
02-19-13, 15:04
The first problem you had was throwing your tomahawk, would you really give up your only weapon in a real fight? Throwing a tomahawk or knife looks good on the silver screen but in real life it's awful way to defend yourself....giving up your weapon to your attacker can't be the best move to make in a life or death fight.

Throwing a tomahawk (or knife) is RECREATION, and nothing more...and to throw a tomahawk correctly you need to be about 10 feet away for a single rotation and about 21 feet away for 2 rotations. That may vary slightly depending on your throwing style and the hawk.

In a real life situation I'd want my attacker to fight through my weapon to get to me and not attacking me with it after my poor deployment.....but that's just me. :smile:

Exactly.

Lee D
02-20-13, 16:04
last year I bought my first tomahawk, a ATC VTAC, and with no military or LE experience, I will admit it was honestly to see what the "hype" was all about. I enjoy this little tool a much more than I thought I would... punching holes on the old cars that are in the ditch at my farm, "breaching" old shed doors :p, and other silly things LOL. it has impressed me, imo it is a well made tool.

maybe it wasn't a practical purchase, but since when does that matter anyway?:D

http://imageshack.us/a/img842/5738/lagana20hawk.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/lagana20hawk.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

themighty9mm
04-04-13, 14:41
I have a cheapy cold steel frontier hawk. Makes short work of smaller limbs, does what I wanted it to do, and can be used for a good variety of tasks. Take it off the handle and it becomes a skinning knife, wrap it sideways and it becomes a plainer, can also be used as a wedge, and can make any length handle I feel is need for the task in the field, or as a replacement. And it was cheap. Cheap enough Im not worried about it being abused

ridgerunner70
04-15-13, 01:10
Just got a cheap throwing hawk from Crazy Crows. Should be fun to learn to throw and make new handles for.

SGTMAJ
04-16-13, 15:31
I got one in my pack in my truck. Never know when I may need to break glass, cut through drywall. puncture a tire or just crack a head. ii will do whatever it takes to get home.

fz1boxer
04-16-13, 16:40
I got one in my pack in my truck. Never know when I may need to break glass, cut through drywall. puncture a tire or just crack a head. ii will do whatever it takes to get home.

same here,keep one in the truck

SGTMAJ
04-16-13, 19:25
That's what I like about M4C it only attracts the finest people.

ra2bach
04-26-13, 11:16
I'm interested in this one -- http://www.bladehq.com/item--CRKT-Johnson-Kangee-T-Hawk-13--15348

http://www.bladehq.com/imgs/shop-by-brand/all-crkt/crkt-kangee-t-hawk-2725.jpg

it also comes with a hammer instead of the spike. like this --

http://www.bladehq.com/imgs/shop-by-brand/all-crkt/crkt-chogan-t-hawk-2720.jpg

in addition to the obvious difference, the spike version is sharpened all along the top.

Jellybean
04-28-13, 21:00
LOL, brings back memories? When I was a kid we used to throw roofing hatchets at a tree . We were imitating Walt Disney's Davey Crocket show.

Dayveeeee, Dayyyyyvee Crocket, fightin' for liiiibeerrrrteeeeee....
:D

it also comes with a hammer instead of the spike. like this --

http://www.bladehq.com/imgs/shop-by-brand/all-crkt/crkt-chogan-t-hawk-2720.jpg

in addition to the obvious difference, the spike version is sharpened all along the top.

I am actually kind of digging the one with the hammer- always liked RMJ's Loggerhead, but it's still a little to 'hawkish' for what I want-and FAR to expensive- looking for more like a lightweight axe for outdoor use.

ridgerunner70
04-29-13, 03:57
http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/graphics/4934-222-054-350x350.jpg
I think this would be handy for the price. Sharp edge on one side and hammer on the other.
Link didn't paste $23.00. www.crazycrow.com

Blankwaffe
05-31-13, 21:18
Ive had a hawk most all my life...apparently a genetic thing...Cherokee bloodline.
Still have my first hand forged long bearded wrap and weld from the 1970's.But have a peference for a hammer pole hawk to use in bushcraft,field,hunting needs.

In my experience Cold Steel's traditional hawks are hard to beat for the money.Extremely durable and easy to modify to your preferences.

I personally prefer a Cold Steel Riflemans or Pipe Hawk for Bushcraft/field use,with a strong preference to the Riflemans Hawk....that said Im a somewhat large ham fisted knuckle dragger,so the large 35oz. hawk fits me well.Both of those are hammer pole hawks so they double as a hammer if needed.

I carry the head in a sheath on my belt and the haft in my pack if Im going on a long haul or to be more discreet.
I use the head of the hawk as a ulu/knife etc. and for heavier work with wood I'll drop the head on the haft.Much easier to pack than a machette/large blade or traditional hatchet or axe.

Thats the nice thing about the traditional wooden haft hawks...they have many configuration variations of uses in the field,and can be used/configured in many ways to include replacing a knife.
Plus if the haft breaks its easy to carve a new one when hard pressed.

Ive tried a few of the tactical hawks and they are,in my experience too limited in function simply because of their designs.Might be good weapons or for breeching but beyond that not so useful....but thats my opinion and experiece.

scubadds
06-06-13, 08:16
With a proper t-hawk, throwing is surprisingly easy.
I had a blacksmith make mine, its a revolutionary war design.
Mine is balanced to stick at 5, 10 and 15 paces.
Once you know the rotation rate it is easy as throwing a baseball.

We have large slices of the first cut off the stump of a pine tree (about 3.5 feet wide). Mounted it up chest high using old telephone poles to make a tripod stand.
The handle slides out and the head will fit in a belt case. Not part of my kit, this is just for fun

HKGuns
06-30-13, 21:41
Yep, I have one in my survival kit. It is not a fancy one, just a basic SOG fast Hawk.

reaper 11
06-30-13, 21:58
I use a s13 shrike and I love it and its even been blooded buy me lol the beard on it is very sharp as the nice cut on my hand prooves so I have joined the brother hood as the instructions clearly state you will cut your self sooner or later so be careful when you deploy it one of my most favorite fighting tools

steyrm9a19mmfan
07-07-13, 15:26
A tomahawk is a good close quarters weapon and when used along with a knife makes it a formidable defense. Tomahawks and bowie knives and Arkansas Toothpicks were the preferred weapons on the frontier until reliable handguns came along that could take their place. The wise frontiersman however did not abandon them when the metallic cartridge firing weapons came along. If I were trapped in a confined area without access to a firearm(s) I would really want to have a tomahawk, or a bowie knife, or am 18 inch barong sword/machete with me. The way I look at it they may take you down but send them home with less body parts than they showed up with.

txn
09-07-13, 02:24
The girlfriend's father thought it would be a good Christmas present last year. Just a simple SOG Fast hawk. Used it for yard work, breaking kindling off larger logs, cutting in a pinch, and have dealt with a couple snakes. And of course throwing. I haven't messed with it since I got back from the Benning School for Boys, but since I found this thread I may have to tomorrow when I get home.

cctroupe11
09-07-13, 12:03
I don't personally own one, but I have got to mess with my best friend's RMJ Shrike 13 quite a bit so I'll throw in $ .02.

RMJ tomahawks are build rock solid, out of great steel. The finish is good, the G10 handles are grippy, and I would trust it to do heavy lifting when it came to chopping, prying, etc.

I would totally spend the cash on one if I thought I would use it a lot, but I don't see myself having much use for a hawk.

Mbrokaw89
06-08-14, 16:03
Mosy military guys are fans of the tomahawk. They do have quick deploy sheaths. I have owned a number of them. Not only are they a weapon, but they can be a knife, an axe, a shovel, a hammer, a pick, so many uses. I'd say one of the best survival tools.

St.Michael
06-30-14, 04:14
I have a few of em. I have never had to use one in a fight, but with the knife training I have I feel like a hawk would just open up so many more doors when it comes to uses. The stick/knife is considered to be an extension of our hands so a hawk would be like a blade with a bit more reach and allow for more power behind attacks and what not. Not totally sure if my point is clear. I'm sure someone gets it. Are there schools of any kind that allow training with hawks? The movements available with one just seem extremely versatile. Not to be lame and bring movie fiction into a comparison with real life, but the first thing I can remember making me think a hawk had good physics to it was some of the plays made in The Patriot. Some of the blocks and hooks were great.

Edit: The ones I do have are the Sog and some of the cold steel ones. I was looking for a nicer one to pick up and and now really shifting towards those 2hawks the OP posted about. Those look like pretty good quality for the price.

mark5pt56
07-06-14, 06:06
The US made Estwing (Hatchet) is a perfect tool for the woods. Keeps a great edge and the hammer feature is very useful. Doesn't have a high speed sheath, but if used for other than it's purpose, I'm sure one could be made.

Abraham
07-06-14, 08:08
A hatchet is a fine tool, but a tomahawk, I see it as the kind of thing women guffaw at and declare men to be little boys at heart.

frequent flyer
07-08-14, 12:32
Anyone use Winkler's hawks or RMJ Jenny Wren? Looking for some feedback.
Thanks

St.Michael
07-10-14, 11:59
What are the technical differences between hawk and hatchet

soulezoo
07-10-14, 15:00

That's a little along the lines of the SCOTUS reply regarding pornography-- paraphrased "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it".

The hawk being more combat oriented tends to have a longer handle, an aggresive beard and usually a purposeful reverse angled spike or hammerhead. But it can be short handled too... these are personal things and YMMV.

The hatchet is utilitarian oriented for splitting wood and not skulls. Usually a shorter handle-- but can be "hawk handle" length too... much more than that and you have a "camp axe". The opposite end is usually squared off and can be used as a hammer as well but is normally much closer to the handle than a true "hammerhead".

I don't know that you can really define "technical differences" beyond the aggressive beard and opposite spike as both overlap one another to a great degree.

St.Michael
08-25-14, 07:38
I found 2 of those cold steel ones and one of the SOG hawks in my box o gear stored away. I would still like to pick up a nice one at some point though

CoryCop25
08-25-14, 16:55
I drew these out and Battlehorse Knives made these for me.....

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5556/14741635529_c2e0a03428_b.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/14741635529/)
Untitled (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/14741635529/) by corycop25 (https://www.flickr.com/people/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

Berserkr556
09-11-14, 07:31
I love Tomahawks, I've had one or more since I was a boy. I got my first one when I received my first real guns, (20ga. & .22lr rifle) at 7 years old. I watched the movie Northwest Passage about Rogers' Rangers and I just had to have a hawk. Every time I venture into the woods I have one on my belt. Most of mine are hand forged like the ones from the 18th century. I have several H&B Forge hawks, one I use as an all purpose tool, one is a Ranger hawk with the back spike, one is strictly for cleaving flesh and a couple I use for throwing.

Straight Shooter
09-11-14, 07:44
americankami.com
I hope this link comes thru...check out the hawks & EVERYTHING else this gent makes....very awesome.

St.Michael
09-12-14, 15:32
americankami.com
I hope this link comes thru...check out the hawks & EVERYTHING else this gent makes....very awesome.
His stuff looks awesome. I can't justify the price for something I'll end up beating on though.[emoji13]

Kyohte
09-15-14, 23:04

A tomahawk head goes on from the bottom, an axe head goes on from the top. This gives the tomahawk the advantage of being able to use any tapered stick in the woods as a make-shift handle. Making a handle for an axe on the fly is a little more difficult. The tomahawk head is also of a slightly different shape, though with many different varieties of tomahawks and axes heads available now this is not much of a distinction. A polled axe is a hawk with a slightly more axe-like head. In my opinion the fully metal handled "hawks" are not a true tomahawk (more on that below).

The primary purpose of a traditional hawk is a weapon. It's usefulness in bushcraft was closely secondary to this. In field use, it rides the line between large knife and small axe. It does neither task well, but can do a bit of everything from limb and baton small trees, to skin and dress game (using the head removed from the handle). You can do more with a large (4") knife and an axe, but it will cost you in weight.

Of course, modern tomahawks don't typically follow any guideline and have become somewhat of a fashion accessory. I don't like completely metal handled hawks because they cannot be repaired in field (and the metal *can* break). Those types are also overly heavy. They make work for urban use, but I think they lose the versatility of the true tomahawk. My personal choice for the woods is a polled axe, since I carry a knife anyway, the more axe-like design makes it more useful for me.

VIP3R 237
09-15-14, 23:16
I picked up a SOG Voodoo Hawk and have been playing around with it. Its seems pretty nice for the price ($46 shipped I think?) but I am not an expert by any means. I just wanted one to mess around with.

Kyohte
09-15-14, 23:22
I picked up a SOG Voodoo Hawk and have been playing around with it. Its seems pretty nice for the price ($46 shipped I think?) but I am not an expert by any means. I just wanted one to mess around with.

Have fun with it but be careful, the handles break. SOG should take care of you if it happens, though. Oh, and by the way, hawks are addicting.

Straight Shooter
09-19-14, 11:54
FYI- knifecenter.com has the SOG Tactical Tomahawk on sale for $29.95.

St.Michael
09-19-14, 16:41
I dont mind paying up to about 150 for a tool like this that I know is going to take a beating. Though I started buying 30 dollar edc knifes cause I kept losing them. I treat em almost like disposable razors

Kyohte
09-20-14, 13:39
You can get a good, forged by hand in America hawk for well under $100. Check out HB forge. In my opinion those $200+ tactical tomahawks, while cool looking, don't deliver more functionality than a well-made traditional-style hawk.

ap1220
09-20-14, 20:08
You can get a good, forged by hand in America hawk for well under $100. Check out HB forge. In my opinion those $200+ tactical tomahawks, while cool looking, don't deliver more functionality than a well-made traditional-style hawk.

IMO, especially the wooden poled ones. There's a couple I like but for the price, I have to ask myself, "What does it really do for me?". Some of them are sexy, sweet looking pieces but other than that...

Saying that, there's a specific one in the $150 range that keeps calling my name lol. Thankfully, I have been looking at H B for awhile now myself and that may satiate that "need".

Kyohte
09-20-14, 20:48
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=982&pictureid=7005

H&B Forge Medium Polled Axe. It lives on my hiking pack. It only weighs 1.68 lbs.

jhurt
09-26-14, 09:35
They do have a practical use, at least in my experience. I carried one as a "laminated glass breaching tool", on the back of my armor in a kydex sheath I made myself. This after trying to breach a large front-room window of a ground floor apartment and watching a halligan tool, break-rake and finally det cord all fail. We even got the biggest rock we could find and had the biggest lad on the team try to throw it through (training day) then went inside and tried to throw a chair out through it like we were in some damn movie or something. Many of the units in this complex had real glass, some had been replaced with laminated or plexi. Cutting it with tomahawk seemed to work best. Granted, enough det cord would sort out the window properly but it wouldn't do much for anyone inside the room so we never even pushed to see what it would take.

brushy bill
09-26-14, 20:35
Nice, but would the holes in the hawk weaken it?

I drew these out and Battlehorse Knives made these for me.....

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5556/14741635529_c2e0a03428_b.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/14741635529/)
Untitled (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/14741635529/) by corycop25 (https://www.flickr.com/people/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

Caduceus
09-27-14, 20:54
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=982&pictureid=7005

H&B Forge Medium Polled Axe. It lives on my hiking pack. It only weighs 1.68 lbs.

17 or 19 inch handle?

I can't seem to decide between that or a Shipbuilder's axe. Main use would be camping/backpacking. Handle on the SB is 19" and I think about a half pound more.

CoryCop25
09-28-14, 09:14
Nice, but would the holes in the hawk weaken it?

The hawk is made with 01 tool steel. I would imagine that it is weaker with the holes but it is not a weak point in any way. They are there too lighten it but mostly for looks. It won't break...

Kyohte
10-01-14, 14:13
17 or 19 inch handle?

I can't seem to decide between that or a Shipbuilder's axe. Main use would be camping/backpacking. Handle on the SB is 19" and I think about a half pound more.

19". The shipbuilders is next on my list to get.

Chipper78
10-07-14, 15:22
Took the family on our annual camping trip this last weekend. Brought my SOG Fasthawk mostly just to play with, throw at trees and such. I ended up forgetting my hatchet so I had to use the tomahawk in it place and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how well it did. I used it to chop small (6" diameter) logs and split them to get the fire going and it did fairly well. Obviously the hatchet would've been my first choice but the hawk was more than adequate as a replacement. And it was still fun to throw at trees.

Honorthecall81
10-09-14, 17:45
As soon as I can give me gun gear habit a break, you better believe I'll be
picking up a Shrike from RMJ tactical. The things can peel a car like a can
opener. These are more than just hawks. They are weapons meant for
dancing to a ballet of violence.

Turnkey11
11-04-14, 09:55
They do have a practical use, at least in my experience. I carried one as a "laminated glass breaching tool", on the back of my armor in a kydex sheath I made myself. This after trying to breach a large front-room window of a ground floor apartment and watching a halligan tool, break-rake and finally det cord all fail. We even got the biggest rock we could find and had the biggest lad on the team try to throw it through (training day) then went inside and tried to throw a chair out through it like we were in some damn movie or something. Many of the units in this complex had real glass, some had been replaced with laminated or plexi. Cutting it with tomahawk seemed to work best. Granted, enough det cord would sort out the window properly but it wouldn't do much for anyone inside the room so we never even pushed to see what it would take.

I would think a water impulse charge centered on a large window like that would knock it out of the frame if it didn't completely destroy it.;)

I've been looking at the Gerber Downrange Hawk as a lightweight, supplemental breaching tool, anyone have any input on these?

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Gerber-Tactical-Downrange-Tomahawk--15576

Watrdawg
11-05-14, 14:24
I've been really interested in hawks for a while and at this point this tomahawk by 2 Hawks has me about ready to pull the trigger

http://www.2hawks.net/tomahawks/warbeast-military-grade-tomahawk/