PDA

View Full Version : Charter Arms "PitBull 40"

Devildawg2531
02-13-13, 17:07
My elderly father is recuperating from double rotator cuff surgery and cannot comfortably chamber a round from his Beretta 96 .40 which is his home defense gun. He asked me about revolvers and I recommended Smith and Wesson or Ruger and said that I have been very happy with my S&W 629 and S&W 617. I told him for an HD revolver I would recommend 357 mag and he could downlaod to 38 Special. So today he comes to my house with a Charter Arms Pitbull 40. Said he didn't want to have to worry about a different caliber - SO I said it looks nice. I cleaned it for him but didn't have time to shoot it yet. The trigger is heavy but any feedback on this gun? He won't shoot it more than 20 times a year so it probably won't break from hard use. I told him to stuff it full of Speer Gold Dot 180 grain and he is all set. Also to add some paint to the from sight as it's matte and blends into the rear. Would you use this for HD?

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15374&stc=1&d=1360796613

bigghoss
02-14-13, 02:11
I would not have bought one but he already did so might as well put some rounds through it and see how it does.

For a .40 revolver I would have just bought a 10mm S&W and used .40 with moon clips. They used to make a 10mm nightguard, not sure if they still do or not but one of those looks like a nice wheel gun overall.

luvmy40
02-14-13, 08:20
I have the Pit Bull in 9mm. I had some issues out of the box. It shot very low and started locking up after about 60 rounds. CA sent a return label and I sent it back. Turn around was 8 days and the front sight was lowered, main spring replaced, barrel/cylinder fit "adjusted" and the trigger was noticeably smoother. No new/recurring issues after about 150 rounds.

The SA trigger is very nice and the DA trigger is a touch heavy for me but is now pretty smooth. Over all it shoots very nicely for me. Keep in mind that this my one and only revolver and was bought for the novelty more than any other reason.

ETA:
I did have a couple reloads(115gn plated, RN) unseat while firing. Ive never had any of my reloads do this in a semi. auto so I assume that it is something unique to a revolver and have increased the taper crimp on my loads for the Pit Bull.

Devildawg2531
02-16-13, 13:57
Today my father brougt his new Charter Arms "Pitbull .40" over to shoot. It functioned fine and accuracy was acceptable - I was getting 2" - 3" for 5 shots offhand at 15 yards. It's a little difficult to load as the hinge that hold's the 40 cartidges protrudes from the cylinder a little. It only holds 5 rounds and the DA trigger is heavy, in SA the trigger is OK.