PDA

View Full Version : 14.5 middy build

Kenneth
02-13-13, 20:15
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp56/2005gixxer600/Guns/F1A42D41-8EB4-4950-AA01-6C7D5D52329B-10469-0000054A4EE66257.jpg?t=1360807500

Here is my build I have completed this past two months.

14.5 DD LW CHF 1/7 barrel
Pinned BattleComp 1.5
DD gas block
Geissele 13 inch MK1
Troy folding battle sights HK style
Blem upper from BCM
BCM bolt carrier group
Aero precision stripped lower
Wilson Combat LPK
Geissele SD-3G trigger
BCM Mod 1 gunfighter grip
Magpul trigger guard
Rainier Arms Raptor charging handle
Battle Arms Ambi safety
BCM receiver extension
Magpul CTR
H2 buffer
SLAP plate

I have a MS3 sling and an Aimpont Pro on the way as well.

Let me know what you guys think and if anything should be changed.

I am having a problem with the magazine release sticking somewhat and I have to press it several times to get the mag to drop. It doesn't happen every time but enough to get annoying.

nowayout
02-13-13, 20:22
It looks really good. I had never thought about the Geissele 13 inch MK1 rail until seeing it on your rifle.

It goes to show that even in these hard to come by parts time we are in that something this nice is still possible.

Kenneth
02-13-13, 20:28
I built this whole rifle almost from there where to get it thread here.

Trident was the one who posted the pictures of the MK1 that made me want one. This was my first build from ground up as well.

ALCOAR
02-13-13, 21:27
Awesome job!

That rifle should be effortless to point and shoot. Very fast in the hands I bet:)

lee84101
02-13-13, 21:29
Great Job! I received my Aero stripped lower the other day and have a Noveske upper on the way. I've been looking for a 14.5" barrel and 13" modular rail. Im jealous.

Kenneth
02-13-13, 21:38
Awesome job!

That rifle should be effortless to point and shoot. Very fast in the hands I bet:)

Thanks! I have to say that right now it was 6.5 lbs without a loaded mag. My other AR is like 9 lbs so this is very refreshing and super fast. Now if I had any ammo to go put some rounds through it.

L2bravo
02-14-13, 10:12
Awesome job!

I agree totally. I'll bet that thing handles like a dream! And built like a tank as well. L2

FSTRN
02-15-13, 22:50
Nice build. I am mulling over the specs on a LW 14.5" myself. Have you had a chance to run it at all? I wonder how you like it with the H2 buffer.

TheAxeShooter
02-16-13, 00:31
How does the Geissele feel on your carbine? Is it front heavy? I really love that handguard but I'm curious about weight on it.

Kenneth
02-16-13, 00:49
How does the Geissele feel on your carbine? Is it front heavy? I really love that handguard but I'm curious about weight on it.

With the LW barrel I don't think it is front heavy at all. It is very fast in the hands. This is the lightest carbine I have ever had for sure. It's under 7 lbs with a full mag. I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet as I only have a few hundred rounds of .223.

Kenneth
02-16-13, 00:52
Nice build. I am mulling over the specs on a LW 14.5" myself. Have you had a chance to run it at all? I wonder how you like it with the H2 buffer.

I haven't shot it yet. There is some worry that it will not be reliable with the H2 but well see. I have a carbine buffer to use if its not reliable. I can't wait for the ammo crisis to slack off a bit so I can get ammo.

TheAxeShooter
02-16-13, 09:44
With the LW barrel I don't think it is front heavy at all. It is very fast in the hands. This is the lightest carbine I have ever had for sure. It's under 7 lbs with a full mag. I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet as I only have a few hundred rounds of .223.

Thanks! Hopefully I can pick on of those up pretty soon. I always thought the handguard was heavy feeling for some reason.

HKfan
02-17-13, 00:12
Great looking rifle. Who did you have pin your comp to the 14.5"? How was the turnaround time?

Kenneth
02-17-13, 00:21
Great looking rifle. Who did you have pin your comp to the 14.5"? How was the turnaround time?

A friend of mine and myself pinned the comp. we used a drill press to drill in the hole through the BC. Then I took the same size drill but and cut it off with a grinder. Pushed in through the BC and into the hole we drilled. Then did a simple tack weld, ground it down flush, and tack welded it again. It was then grounded down flush and painted with high temp BBQ paint. You can tell where the weld is but it looks good.

fletchman
02-17-13, 19:32
I have the Wilson LPK and I was wondering how you like it. I'm sure that the rifle performs well as it seems you put a lot of thought into all the parts. My other question is how long where you holding on to all the parts or how long ago did you start ordering the parts. Dam nice selection but HOW?

Kenneth
02-17-13, 19:55
I have the Wilson LPK and I was wondering how you like it. I'm sure that the rifle performs well as it seems you put a lot of thought into all the parts. My other question is how long where you holding on to all the parts or how long ago did you start ordering the parts. Dam nice selection but HOW?

I placed my first order on 1/28/13 and completed it about a week ago. I watched the thread here and caught everything I needed. I haven't shot it yet but the LPk went in fine with no issues. The magazine catch spring kind of hangs up a little but and I can't figure out how to make it stop.

Kenneth
02-18-13, 17:03
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp56/2005gixxer600/Guns/5892B82F-7BD7-4CFD-A95D-64E5E5DE0DCE-15467-000007D74B5E2922.jpg

Here is the EDC it's a CZP01 9mm. I carry it in a CBST. I really enjoy this pistol not to mention I shoot USPSA with a Shadow Custom. I like being able to shoot both and get used to the controls.
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp56/2005gixxer600/Guns/8974F888-83E0-4E22-90AA-6DC688590767-15467-000007D73EAAA766.jpg

Here is my pin and weld job. You can see that I didn't get it completely flush but pretty close. You can also tell the high temp paint I used was a little different color.
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp56/2005gixxer600/Guns/64BFF7C8-15E1-42D2-9AB9-8ECDF2F55E9F-15467-000007D739582653.jpg

A right side to show the BCM BCH and ambi safety
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp56/2005gixxer600/Guns/0892DFDA-D7A1-4632-A853-ACC0C4786DA3-15467-000007D7331081B5.jpg

ALCOAR
02-18-13, 17:49
What purpose/s did you build this rifle for?

What were the easiest/hardest portions of the build?

Was the SMR user friendly to install...if it came with directions, how were they?

With the weight, and overall configuration (fast/dynamic) + the SD-3G......why no BAD-ASS ST or CASS ST? Might as well have the fastest selector made for that build:p

Can't knock you to hard for that considering you do have a BAD-ASS, but a ST model is that much better imho!

Kenneth
02-18-13, 18:02
What purpose/s did you build this rifle for?

What were the easiest/hardest portions of the build?

Was the SMR user friendly to install...if it came with directions, how were they?

With the weight, and overall configuration (fast/dynamic) + the SD-3G......why no BAD-ASS ST or CASS ST? Might as well have the fastest selector made for that build:p

Can't knock you to hard for that considering you do have a BAD-ASS, but a ST model is that much better imho!

I basically built this rifle for future classes. I wanted to go light weight as my GF will be shooting it as her carbine for courses. Nothing was hard to install at all. I didn't read the directions completely at first to install the SMR but I should have. The only boneheaded thing I did was complete the rifle without installing the ejection port cover lol. This was my first build from ground up and I didn't have a clue that you couldn't install it with the barrel but in place. I would say the most stressful was drilling the barrel to pin the Battle comp. That part had me stressed out but I went slow and everything went fine. Honestly I didn't read about the short throw lever until I already bought the regular one. If I could go back I would go for the short throw version. I have to say I got in the buying mood once I started getting parts haha. I wanted to build and build until finished. Them so I realized that there is always something else to add. I really don't have a purpose for this rifle other than just having one. I'm not a Leo yet anyway and I don't know if they allow personal carbines but I would change a few things if they did anyway. The ambi part of the rifle was purely for the fact my GF is a lefty and that's a huge PITA. I still need to get an ambi mag release for her but haven't looked real hard at them yet.

I just wanted a high quality carbine as my other AR is an el cheapo frankengun. I put it together from spare parts from a buddy that led me to believe he was the know all be all. He knows a lot of things but quality ARs isn't one of them from my research here. My other AR is a Bushmaster HBAR upper on a S&W lower. It hasn't failed me or anything and hasn't had a malfunction. It will shoot the most underpowered ammo I have found as well. It is a carbine though and HEAVY. I don't know how it would hold up to 1200 rounds in a few days though. That's the thing you don't know until you have a failure and I would rather better my chances with high quality parts. This rifle is also a learning experience as I will hopefully see what I want/don't want on my next build.