PDA

View Full Version : Battleship Gray mags at BCM?

samuse
02-13-13, 23:01
Anyone know anything about the Battleship Gray mags that BCM has listed to arrive this month?

Is it just a color or some kind of anti-friction finish or just a more durable finish?

link:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Magazines-p/magazine-dh-gp30mp-10pack.htm

BTL BRN
02-13-13, 23:16
I will be able to let you know in a day or so, they were up for sale today for about 5 mins and mine already shipped! :p

snakedoctor
02-13-13, 23:20
I know they work.

ColtSeavers
02-13-13, 23:48
Anyone know anything about the Battleship Gray mags that BCM has listed to arrive this month?

Is it just a color or some kind of anti-friction finish or just a more durable finish?

link:

Product Code:*MAGAZINE-DH-GP30MP-10PACK

They are D&H mags, which are legit.

Auto426
02-14-13, 00:03
Looks to me like D&H mags with Magpul followers, the same as the black and grey mags they already had listed.

markm
02-14-13, 07:56
I had that notification... I saw the email... and they were gone.

I was like.... I really don't want to pay 17 dollars per mag... and.. the decision was made for me. :sarcastic:

BMWguy206
02-14-13, 07:57

I was like.... I really don't want to pay 17 dollars per mag... and.. the decision was made for me. :sarcastic:

More in stock

T2C
02-14-13, 08:07
I have had good luck with the D&H magazines. If you can buy a decent magazine for under $20 in this day and age it's not a bad price.

samuse
02-14-13, 08:18
I just ordered a box of 'em.

I still don't know what a catalyzed paint is.

markm
02-14-13, 08:20
I can't... I'm backordered on Brownells mags already.

The_Hammer_Man
02-14-13, 08:23

a little google-fu would have answered your questions about catalyzed paint.

http://www.ehow.com/info_10029925_catalyzed-paint.html

I've used it on cars before.. will be interesting to see how well it holds up on mags.

mtdawg169
02-14-13, 08:30

That happens to me alot, and my wallet says thank you every time. It has actually helped prevent me from falling into this buying craze. I have been able to find everything I actually needed, but it's just difficult enough to keep me from buying stuff just to have it. ;)

Nater
02-14-13, 08:39

Same here... Now if only some Glock 17 mags would break free somewhere!

markm
02-14-13, 08:48
it's just difficult enough to keep me from buying stuff just to have it. ;)

BIG TIME! :D

rdbse
02-14-13, 09:06
Thanks guys, I just ordered some!

RCI1911
02-14-13, 09:12
Like others I wish I wasn't backordered elsewhere. I do just want to buy things to buy them though, lol!

Moltke
02-14-13, 09:46
I do not, my upper I've been waiting for since before the panic sold out before I could check out, I even hung up on my girlfriend so I could order the stuff faster. :(

(sorry this does not add tothe thread but had to share my dismay, at least someone is enjoying it.)

Good to see your priorities are in order. :)

markm
02-14-13, 09:52
I just missed the MUR upper receiver notice by 3 minutes and the shit was gone. :sarcastic:

vaglocker
02-14-13, 10:53
Ordered this morning and just got shipping notification. Outstanding service especially in these times.

Blak1508
02-14-13, 11:09
Thanks to another M4 member I managed to collect on these... Thanks angel hair ;)

ChrisCross
02-14-13, 11:39
D&H Mags are good to go (as others have already said).

The Battleship grey is also nice so now you can color coordinate your weapon, accessories and attire. As Serge once said "Everything must conform to the 3 P's... Protection, Prestige and Pretty" :D

samuse
02-14-13, 11:41
I ordered some but if they're shiny they're goin' straight to the EE...:blink:

LESSTHANZERO
02-14-13, 12:49
Received an email @ 12:54 .... They were gone :( ... Back on the list I go.

Egret18
02-14-13, 14:32

Me too. I had these in my cart but passed on them, will wait for Brownell to get mine shipped. At 5 bucks a mag cheaper I can find somewhere else to spend the 50 bucks.

Steve S.
02-14-13, 17:39
Grey is the new Black!

:-)

kcara
02-14-13, 20:59
These are some good mags. They sold out really quick.

weez440
02-14-13, 21:38
was at work messing aroung on bcm's website to see if they had any 16 inch carbine uppers in stock and seen the mags were in so i ordered them. i now feel secure in the amount of mags i have.

matemike
02-14-13, 21:41
I got a ten pack.

Thank you OP:dance3:

They'll suit my needs, especially with a 600-800 round class coming up next month.

For those dissing the gray color, any reason one couldn't paint magazines? I figure it'll chip, but just touch it up every now and then.

Steve S.
02-14-13, 22:50
For those dissing the gray color, any reason one couldn't paint magazines? I figure it'll chip, but just touch it up every now and then.

Not dissing it at all, just saying Grey is the "in" color for tactical stuff this year.

I've been a big proponent of Grey gear for a long time for civilians. It blends well with blue jeans, most building exteriors, car interiors, etc. It also looks much less "tactical" than Black, Coyote, and OD. Allows you to be a better Greyman - pun intended.

Kissel
02-15-13, 04:14
A study a few years ago on camouflage concluded that, all around, grey is the most effective color for concealment in most environments. I'll see if I can find the material.

markm
02-15-13, 07:07
Not dissing it at all, just saying Grey is the "in" color for tactical stuff this year.

There's a whole passel of guys here who think they're in the CIA and must never have their cover blown. They dress in Gray and carry Tennis racket cases so we don't know that they are there and ready to pounce like a crouching tiger.

I admire these men. Brave and dedicated. Secure enough in their sexuality to flit around with a tennis racket case! :sarcastic:

ChrisCross
02-15-13, 09:40
There's a whole passel of guys here who think they're in the CIA and must never have their cover blown. They dress in Gray and carry Tennis racket cases so we don't know that they are there and ready to pounce like a crouching tiger.

I admire these men. Brave and dedicated. Secure enough in their sexuality to flit around with a tennis racket case! :sarcastic:

Crap... and here I thought my Thompson in a violin case with me in a tux was tacti-cool... Who's going to suspect a guy playing a violin in a symphony.

Gonna have to completely re-do my wardrobe and accessories now. I swear I heard lavender blends well with the fruits in my area... :ph34r:

markm
02-15-13, 09:43
Where most guys screw up is they don't wear the little tennis shorts... This is because their thigh rigs chafe and that's not good on a long deployment.

nolt
02-15-13, 09:56
bravo usually states specifically if its a teflon coat on the mags...

edit: sorry i misunderstood the OP question. i dont have knowledge of the catalytic? paint..

RogerinTPA
02-15-13, 12:05
I ordered 20 of them with the Magpul followers from BCM years ago. I've used them in carbine courses, and regular range time. I'm still using them to this day and find them to be highly reliable. The color of the mag is irrelevant. The teflon coating, inside and out helps with reliable feeding and overall durability. They are GTG.

link:

samuse
02-15-13, 12:13
These are not teflon. They're catalyzed paint.

If it's shiny paint, it ain't goin' in my gun...

RogerinTPA
02-15-13, 12:18

Oops, I didn't realize this was a new paint. I stand corrected.

murphman
02-15-13, 15:00
Do not mean to hijack this thread over the coating on these mags but PSA has D&H mags for sale as I write this for 16.99 in a black finish.

ra2bach
02-15-13, 16:25
A study a few years ago on camouflage concluded that, all around, grey is the most effective color for concealment in most environments. I'll see if I can find the material.

yeah. but just one step off this is Foliage green. the gray is fine urban warrior camo and works in any diminished light. but FG is roughly the same value (dark/light) but it already exists and is available in IR non-reflective gear. and a lot of it is discounted as it's not the "in" color...

rocksalt
02-15-13, 16:41
all this stuff must have some tech value but I don't see it:blink:

T2C
02-15-13, 17:01

Point taken. Magazines work or they don't. I usually don't get too caught up in technical data about a $17 expendable item myself.

D. Manley
02-15-13, 17:21

They say it's a 2-part mix so I'm going to say it's an epoxy. I don't think I'd sweat it personally.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

Beat Trash
02-15-13, 17:55
I would like to see how this new gray paint comparies to the Teflon coated magazines. And if the new gray paint is dull or a shiny finish.

If someone who ordered some could update us when they get in, I'd be interested in hearing opinions.

Steve S.
02-15-13, 18:36

Where most guys screw up is they don't wear the little tennis shorts... This is because their thigh rigs chafe and that's not good on a long deployment.

You know what MarkM... this is from me and my grey clothing and my tennis racket case and my thigh rig - all that I'm wearing while I type this...... SCREW YOU!

:D

Steve S.
02-15-13, 18:38
yeah. but just one step off this is Foliage green. the gray is fine urban warrior camo and works in any diminished light. but FG is roughly the same value (dark/light) but it already exists and is available in IR non-reflective gear. and a lot of it is discounted as it's not the "in" color...

Isn't that funny? The best color in the aftermarket accessory line up for civilians in urban / suburban environments was the least popular...

nolt
02-15-13, 18:57
burning teflon kills birds.

these are bird friendly magazines.

wetidlerjr
02-15-13, 19:13
I would like to see how this new gray paint comparies to the Teflon coated magazines. And if the new gray paint is dull or a shiny finish. If someone who ordered some could update us when they get in, I'd be interested in hearing opinions.

I have 10 of them and it's flat grey. It has a slight sheen to it.

The Painted finish is a Two part catalyzed paint that has a high abrasion resistance.

BTL BRN
02-15-13, 19:37
I would like to see how this new gray paint comparies to the Teflon coated magazines. And if the new gray paint is dull or a shiny finish.

If someone who ordered some could update us when they get in, I'd be interested in hearing opinions.

I got my 10 pack today, and my first impressions without so much as even loading a mag yet are - 1) they don't appear to be as "slick" as the typical black teflon, 2) they do appear to have a tougher finish.

I plan on giving them a go this week.

Moose-Knuckle
02-16-13, 03:21
FYI Cope's Distributing has these mags in stock currently.

http://www.copesdistributing.com/ar15-30rd-wmagpul-follower-battleship-grey-painted-p-6065.html

TommyG
02-16-13, 07:13

Krylon is your friend... or just take a Scotch Brite pad and scuff em until they look like used teflon mags.

Beat Trash
02-16-13, 08:56
I have 10 of them and it's flat grey. It has a slight sheen to it.

I got my 10 pack today, and my first impressions without so much as even loading a mag yet are - 1) they don't appear to be as "slick" as the typical black teflon, 2) they do appear to have a tougher finish.

I plan on giving them a go this week.

Thanks Gentlemen. Please keep us updated as you put some rounds trough them.

Free Agent
02-26-13, 09:56
So has anyone been running these mags? I see Bravo has them in stock again and I was curious if users have experienced any problems, I.e. not dropping free or any type of feeding malfunctions?

Ick
02-26-13, 10:00
Also looking for an in-depth review from a member here.

samuse
02-26-13, 10:33
Mine came in and have been gone...

They're just D&H mags with a slightly shiny, light gray paint. They basically looked like automotive primer with clear coat over it. The paint was applied in a very thin coat with some bare aluminum showing in places.

I opened 'em up, looked at one for exactly one second, took a pic and promptly sold 'em on Arfcom.

If I needed mags, they would have been fine. But I'm flush with NHMTGs and Okays for the next 200+ years, so I don't have any need to look at mags that I find aesthetically unappealing.

markm
02-26-13, 10:37
The USGI mag makers SEEM to have the greater sense of Urgency in getting product out.

This will be noted in the Jedi Archives. :cool:

rdbse
02-26-13, 10:38
I received mine within a week of ordering. Did not really "need" them, but what the heck. The paint appears to be an epoxy type coating.
All ten are loaded up and ready for future range trip.

Dave L.
02-26-13, 10:45
The USGI mag makers SEEM to have the greater sense of Urgency in getting product out.

But when they paint them differently, end users can't help but pout and wine about the finish. As if some paint is going cause massive malfunctions. :rolleyes:

Some of you need to go back to your perfectly matched upper/lower sets and hug them, then reassure them that you would never stick anything except plastic or Teflon-coated aluminum in them.

thei3ug
02-26-13, 10:47

May help differentiate from substitute products.
There may be production cost benefits while having equal or near-equal performance.

There are a lot of reasons to add a bunch of stuff to an otherwise fundamental and widely produced product. Most of the time the utility is in our perception, rather than an increase in actual performance. it's why product cycles tend to mirror consumer entry and exit from the market... you can solve the same problem over and over again, usually one that wasn't a problem to begin with.

FamilyMan
02-26-13, 10:50
The paint is not quality in any way, definitely doesn't have any anti-friction properties. D&H states on their parent site that they stamp out other goods such as lawnmower decks and that their coating for mags is outsourced. I'm guessing they had to resort (not a first choice) to painting a few batches for production reasons instead of using the Teflon coating.

samuse
02-26-13, 11:03
The paint is not quality in any way, definitely doesn't have any anti-friction properties...

Definitely what I was thinking. The finish is pretty rough and not applied evenly.

The first thing that crossed my mind was the parkerized M9 mags Checkmate made.

ScatmanCrothers
02-26-13, 11:11
The paint is not quality in any way, definitely doesn't have any anti-friction properties. D&H states on their parent site that they stamp out other goods such as lawnmower decks and that their coating for mags is outsourced. I'm guessing they had to resort (not a first choice) to painting a few batches for production reasons instead of using the Teflon coating.

What exactly isn't "quality" about the finish? I got some in two weeks ago, loaded up 300rds and put them downrange. Zero feeding issues, mags locked up and dropped free without a hitch, and they didn't crumble when tossed back in the range bag. They now have normal wear that you'd expect after one range trip on them.

It's a mag made by a reputable manufacturer with a magpul follower. Leave them at home for the teflon beauty contest and they'll serve their purpose.

FamilyMan
02-26-13, 11:28
What exactly isn't "quality" about the finish? I got some in two weeks ago, loaded up 300rds and put them downrange. Zero feeding issues, mags locked up and dropped free without a hitch, and they didn't crumble when tossed back in the range bag. They now have normal wear that you'd expect after one range trip on them.

It's a mag made by a reputable manufacturer with a magpul follower. Leave them at home for the teflon beauty contest and they'll serve their purpose.

The paint wasn't applied properly (time at body shop, know a little), a simple solvent bath and spray won't cut it...that's why the paint smudges when rubbed and some even feel tacky. I never said the mags weren't gtg in functionality, but the painted finish is 2nd rate.

ScatmanCrothers
02-26-13, 11:36
The paint wasn't applied properly (time at body shop, know a little), a simple solvent bath and spray won't cut it...that's why the paint smudges when rubbed and some even feel tacky. I never said the mags weren't gtg in functionality, but the painted finish is 2nd rate.

Interesting. None of mine had anything of the sort, but I do know what you're talking about (3 years auto body in high school :jester:). I'd probably give BCM a call directly if any of them smudged or felt tacky from not drying properly. You guys could have gotten a bad batch because the ones that came my way were evenly applied and cured. :confused:

BTL BRN
02-26-13, 11:44
No runs, drips or errors here either; I stated that they are not as slick as the Teflon mags I have, but they drop free and are sufficiently smooth in all my rifles.

Free Agent
02-26-13, 11:50

This is what I was looking for. I don't care what they look like, I care about function first. Thank you.

samuse
02-26-13, 12:50
This is what I was looking for. I don't care what they look like, I care about function first. Thank you.

In that case I'd go with a mil-spec dry lube finish.

weez440
02-26-13, 16:57
my paint is fine on my mags that i got but if a person was to want to change color on them could a person take them apart, strip the paint and powder coat them? we have an automated powder coat line at work that i could just hang them on and let them go. and the way the automation works they wouldn't get painted inside the magwell. would the oven possibly be to warm and warp the mag? i think it runs at 350 degree's for 20 min.

thehun
02-26-13, 17:54
I got their Black Teflon mags and they work well

Retiredbroke
02-26-13, 18:55
my paint is fine on my mags that i got but if a person was to want to change color on them could a person take them apart, strip the paint and powder coat them? we have an automated powder coat line at work that i could just hang them on and let them go. and the way the automation works they wouldn't get painted inside the magwell. would the oven possibly be to warm and warp the mag? i think it runs at 350 degree's for 20 min.

I have thought about doing this too, have a box full of "experienced" mags that powdercoat would be perfect for.

jknopp44
02-26-13, 21:00
I own 20 of these mags. I have had zero issues with any of them. Form and function has been excellent. Maybe you got a bad batch?

kcara
02-26-13, 21:18
So has anyone been running these mags? I see Bravo has them in stock again and I was curious if users have experienced any problems, I.e. not dropping free or any type of feeding malfunctions?
I have a couple of them. These are good mags.

philpac33
02-27-13, 00:23
Mine all look fine. I chose 3 of them to test out and each have run 100% for 90-120rds each in the past couple weeks. Did have 2 FTFs in 60rds with a particular C-Products magazine unfortunately. The Battleship Gray is starting to really grow on me.