PDA

View Full Version : Simple Build

snowdog650
02-14-13, 02:50
After reading the wisdom here for about 2 years and subsequently joining the conversations a few months ago, I finally completed my first build. The rifle was completed just before Christmas, but I wanted to wait before posting. I see all too many posts of new builds, only to have the author answer the question of "How does it shoot/run?" with ... "Dunno; haven't fired it yet."

I wanted a bare-bones AR rifle which would effectively engage targets/threats out to 200 meters. It was essential to have this rifle be as reliable as possible and be put to use in various carbine courses, for defense, for running drills, and for target use. Consistent 1/2 MOA accuracy at 300 meters was not necessary, as that is not the purpose of this particular rifle ... I have other platforms for that purpose. I wanted something I could absolutely depend on while not going completely berserk on the budget.

The Specs / Rationale

Lower

1. JD Machine Tech Stripped Lower: Purchased locally March 2012, $90. I went with the JD because it was in stock, and I had met the owner in the past. I was confident that this lower would meet my needs. I had read years back that JD once made lowers for Noveske, so I felt it was a good buy. Plus, I feel some sense of redemption that it is made in California ... home of stupid mother****er gun-grabbing globalist legislators.

2. G&R Tactical LPK: I wanted a solid LPK that would not fail. I didn't want to drop $200 for Colt, so I got the next best thing. Everything went together fine in the JD lower. Not even a scratch. Only took 35 minutes to install. $55 (June 2012).

3. Geissele SD3G FCG: This was not my first choice. But it was free, so I decided to run this instead of an SSA or SSA-E (a very generous co-worker gave me this as a reward for helping him write his Master's thesis). After running it, I am pleased with this trigger. I admittedly had a couple of bump-fires early on ... talk about major pucker effect. Needless to say, the reset is VERY short. $0

4. Raddlock Magazine Lock: Don't even get me ****ing started. Had to do it, since I live in California. At least this way, I can go full felon if I have to. $35 (December 2012)

5. BCM Receiver Extension/H Buffer/Action Spring/Castle Nut: Good price for a high quality set up. Thanks to you guys, I knew to use Aeroshell MS33 and then stake. $60 (December 2012)

6. BAS-ASS Safety Selector: I'm a southpaw, so I wanted an ambi selector. This is the best in the business. Went with standard on ejection port side and thin on bolt release side. Thinking I might go short standard on bolt release side ... haven't decided yet. $65 (November 2012).

7. Magpul STR Milspec Stock: I wanted to have a collapsable stock with storage to hold most pins/detents/springs from an extra LPK. The other storage tube holds extra batteries for the Aimpoint and a small homemade tube of Aeroshell MS33. I read on TOS that this stock is second only to the UTR for strength. Got a good deal locally. $80 (September 2012).

8. Magpul MOE Pistol Grip: Wanted storage for a small bottle of Mobil 1 for lube and an extra firing pin and bolt. Got it with Grant's order on the LPK.

9. Noveske QDT End Plate: I wanted a QDT end plate. This one works and is from a reputable manufacturer. Bought it direct the day before John died :-(. $25.

10. Vickers/Blue Force Combat Sling: If Larry's name is on it, it must be good. $45.

Upper

1. BCM BFH 16" Government Profile Mid-Length Upper Group: I wanted the best I could get. I think I did. Wanted a fixed front sight post for durability purposes. Really wanted a VLTOR MUR. Didn't have confidence to build an upper for the first go-around. Now I think I have it. $519 (December 2012 ... a day before Sandy Hook. Luck.).

2. BCM BCG: Again ... wanted the best. I think I got it. $159 ... remember those days? (October 2012)

3. Magpul MOE Handguards: This one was an internal debate. In the end, I didn't need free-floating for enhanced accuracy out to 200 meters. I didn't have free-floating when I was a combat medic, and I still qualified as an expert. Wanted a simple weapon system with minimal shit on it. Went cheap. Time will tell if I change these out. $32 (December 2012).

4. BCM Ambi Charging Handle: Wanted ambi (remember, I am a lefty). Wanted the best. This seemed like a good option -- and cheaper -- than the Raptor. $69 (November 2012).

5. Magpul Back-Up Rear Right: I was going broke. I think this will do for my purposes. Time will tell. Might change out with a Troy flip-up of sorts or a DD fixed. $50 (December 2012).

6. Aimpoint PRO: My agency uses Aimpoint. LAV says that there is no substitute to Aimpoint. This is the cheapest Aimpoint. I like. $400 (October 2012).

7. Magpul MOE Sling Attachment: I don't know about this. Why the hell didn't Magpul extend the air vents all the way back on the mid- and rifle-length handguards like with the carbine-length? I mean, what the ****? I attached it at the 6 o'clock position. I might change this out after taking a class or two. Seems to work well now, but that is only after time at a public range. $20 (December 2012).

8. Light: Waiting for a MI front sight mount to be shipped out. Will attach a 5.11 tactical ATAC 1 once I get that.

Pics

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t74/snowdog650/IMG_1282_zps82db2416.jpg

Don't mind the sling plate on the lower ... wanted to hide the serial number from your asses:
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t74/snowdog650/IMG_1283_zps7ca16cff.jpg

Damn Raddlock bullet button:
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t74/snowdog650/IMG_1284_zpsff99b3a2.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t74/snowdog650/IMG_1285_zps7505fe20.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t74/snowdog650/IMG_1290_zps1f134f3c.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t74/snowdog650/IMG_1289_zps0624e228.jpg

How does it shoot/run?

Perfectly. I put 249 rounds through it on the initial session with a combination of Federal and handloads. I had one FTF on the first round chambered because I was a pussy when I inserted the mag (pucker effect #2 when that happened). I zeroed the irons and Aimpoint with the factory Federal bulk ammo so I could get a velocity baseline, which ended up being about 220 FPS less than published (as expected, since published was with a 20").

I did a ladder test with two handloads ... for plinking I will use 69-grain Nosler Competition BTHP. For defense loads, I chose to use Barnes 70-grain TTX. I chose this because my agency does ballistics testing, and I was satisfied with the results from a number of barriers. Being 100% solid copper, this is considered a barrier-blind projectile.

Results from Nosler Loads at 100 yards:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t74/snowdog650/IMG_1286_zps8c99128c.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t74/snowdog650/IMG_1287_zps09836670.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t74/snowdog650/IMG_1288_zps1c7e595f.jpg

The Barnes loads showed similar results.

Shooting conditions were:

~60*F, 25% humidity, 15-20 MPH headwind at about 11:00 position. Fired from bench using load-out bag as support; no rear bags. Aimpoint PRO optic.

Best Loads:

Nosler: 24.5G Varget, 2.260 COAL @ ~ 2684 FPS +/- 8 FPS standard deviation.

Barnes: 24.3G Varget, 2.250 COAL @ ~ 2659 FPS +/- 11 FPS standard deviation.

Oh yeah ... for all you losers who are actually still reading this whole thing ... remember how I said I didn't need 1/2 MOA accuracy? Looks like I got it anyway.

I want to thank the community here for helping me put together this rifle. Without all of the information in these threads, I would have made many, many mistakes along the way based on what I *thought* I knew. I believe that I have achieved my goal of assembling a rifle in which I can be nearly 100% confident at 0-200 meters, and probably beyond. The moral of the story is this ... if you are new here ... and think you can assemble a fantastic rifle ... you can ...

But you need to read ... take notes ... be patient ... and accept the fact that there are plenty of people here how know a hell of a lot more than you do. It was very humbling to do all of the research I did for those 2 years. I thought that I knew quite a bit about guns.

Now I know more.

Thanks for reading.

MistWolf
02-14-13, 09:52
Nice rifle and good job on the write-up. Round groups like that means the rifle and shooter are consistent.

Head east one border and you can unleash the beast as a free man! I've always wanted to go find a place to shoot just inches from the California border and cut loose just because I could

markm
02-14-13, 10:00
Those damned 69 gr noslers stacked 'em for us too.

Just don't overstabilize them! :p (just kidding... that's a joke from another thread!)

snowdog650
02-14-13, 10:21
Head east one border and you can unleash the beast as a free man! I've always wanted to go find a place to shoot just inches from the California border and cut loose just because I could

I hear ya. Interestingly enough, I can't seem to find any laws which make it illegal to stand in Nevada and send rounds INTO California.

Might have to keep that in mind. :secret:

ASH556
02-14-13, 10:24
Congrats on your build. I have to say, though, I'm completely blown away by your shooting skills. Those groups @ 100yds with an Aimpoint?!?!?

Your groups are significantly better than Molon's here, and I thought his were impressive:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=418608&postcount=1

gunrunner505
02-14-13, 10:26
What's that blue purpleish lube on your charging handle?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

markm
02-14-13, 10:27
I hear ya. Interestingly enough, I can't seem to find any laws which make it illegal to stand in Nevada and send rounds INTO California.

Might have to keep that in mind. :secret:

We had an instructor years back who wanted to do just that with the whole class!

snowdog650
02-14-13, 10:35
Congrats on your build. I have to say, though, I'm completely blown away by your shooting skills. Those groups @ 100yds with an Aimpoint?!?!?

Your groups are significantly better than Molon's here, and I thought his were impressive:

Thanks for that. Keep in mind that Molon's groups were 10-shot groups. Mine were 5-shot groups. You can see that shot #5 started climbing on me a little bit (shot #4 is the one furtherst to the right, and shot #5 is the furthest shot north). I might have to try a few 10-round groups next time out, just to see what would happen ... but I am pretty positive that my 10-shot groups would be less impressive than Molon's.

Either way ... thanks for the kind words.:cool:

gunrunner505
02-14-13, 10:37
We had an instructor years back who wanted to do just that with the whole class!

That could be an M4C get together....

snowdog650
02-14-13, 10:38

Eh ... that's just the result of shitty fluorescent overhead lights and a good camera. The lube is Mobil 1 0W-40. It tends to settle on the charging handle after the rifle sits in the safe for a couple of weeks. After charging a few times, it redistributes itself nicely.

No magic new lube ... just synthetic motor oil. :p

ASH556
02-14-13, 10:43

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/RPO-01530.jpg
:D (Sorry for the slight hijack Snowdog, just couldn't resist)

fallenromeo
02-14-13, 10:46
Nice build and nice group too. I too am a big fan of JDMT. They have always done right by me and I too like to support the local company.

gunrunner505
02-14-13, 10:47
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/RPO-01530.jpg
:D (Sorry for the slight hijack Snowdog, just couldn't resist)

I have a few quarts of RP left over from my Vette. Now I have a new use for it. Nice....

gunrunner505
02-14-13, 10:49
Oh yeah. Real nice build by the way. That's some good shooting too.

Wake27
02-14-13, 11:15
Awesome job and great write up. I have a similar setup that should be complete today for similar purposes. My one question, why a 5.11 light?

snowdog650
02-14-13, 11:37
Awesome job and great write up. I have a similar setup that should be complete today for similar purposes. My one question, why a 5.11 light?

Good question. The primary reason is that I already own one. I also have a few Surefires and Streamlights, but they are not LED ... and do not put out the amount of light that the 5.11 does.

I like that the 5.11 has a "lock" setting that prevents the inadvertant activation of the light ... and I like the strobe feature. It's also small (in length), so it will not protrude into my grip position on the handguards as much as some of the longer options from SF/SL. Moreover, I have kind of beaten the hell out of this light, and it has held up remarkably well.

We'll see how it works. I was set to get a Mossie Mount and a Surefire X300 ... but I'll work with what I have first to see if it is a solid, cost-effective option.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Flashlights/ATAC-L1-Flashlight.html

gunrunner505
02-14-13, 14:48
Good question. The primary reason is that I already own one. I also have a few Surefires and Streamlights, but they are not LED ... and do not put out the amount of light that the 5.11 does.

I like that the 5.11 has a "lock" setting that prevents the inadvertant activation of the light ... and I like the strobe feature. It's also small (in length), so it will not protrude into my grip position on the handguards as much as some of the longer options from SF/SL. Moreover, I have kind of beaten the hell out of this light, and it has held up remarkably well.

We'll see how it works. I was set to get a Mossie Mount and a Surefire X300 ... but I'll work with what I have first to see if it is a solid, cost-effective option.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Flashlights/ATAC-L1-Flashlight.html

That's actually a slick little light. I imagine there is a rail mount and momentary pressure switch available for it? Sorry for asking but I'm doing this from the phone...

snowdog650
02-14-13, 15:01
That's actually a slick little light. I imagine there is a rail mount and momentary pressure switch available for it? Sorry for asking but I'm doing this from the phone...

No light-specific rail mount for that model. Just going to use a standard 1" light mount.

No pressure switch available ... another downside of the light, depending on how you usually run your rifles.

gunrunner505
02-14-13, 15:07
I'm looking for one to put on my DDM4V7. I have no lights at all at the moment.

jaxman7
02-14-13, 20:18

Yeah no joke. Great shooting. I am quite happy to shoot 2.5" groups using XM193 (14.5 BCM barrel) with my 4 MOA T-1.

-Jax

romr
02-14-13, 21:46
LMAO! You could have just told me to wait for the write up instead of meticulously answering all my noob questions (thank you again :D) and nice rifle! My favorite part is that golden mag lock ;)

stealth04
02-15-13, 23:49
That could be an M4C get together....

IDK what you're talking about LOL.

TheAxeShooter
02-16-13, 00:10
Great build and awesome accuracy! I'm following a pretty similar build myself right now (same upper). I'm sure a hell not that good of a shot though. I also plan on keeping mine irons for a while.

Allison01
02-19-13, 18:01
Wow. Very nice build. I learned a lot.