PDA

View Full Version : Looking For a Hook Loop Sling Endplate

Jellybean
02-14-13, 15:13
I'm really not sure what this falls under, so Mods feel free to move this if it's in the wrong spot.

A friend of mine is looking to set up his rifle with a Magpul MS3 sling with the clip-hook attachments.
I have finally convinced him to go for a "tactical" sling, and after a little show and tell/looking on internet together, he zeroed in on the MS3 because he can experiment with 2 or 1 point mode as much as he wants.
The thing is he runs his rifles very basic/classic.
I think he'll switch to an MOE handguard, so I was going to have him use the MSA MOE hook loop attachment.
Now he just needs something for the rear mount.
I think swapping endplates is going to be the best bet as far as options and ease of use go (he's built every rifle he owns, so this shouldn't be a problem)

I was going to suggest him something like Vltor (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/857624/vltor-sase-2-enhanced-receiver-end-plate-large-hk-loop-sling-mount-adapter-ambidextrous-ar-15-lr-308-carbine-steel-black) or GG&G's (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/588861/gg-and-g-receiver-end-plate-loop-sling-mount-adapter-right-hand-ar-15-lr-308-carbine-steel-matte)endplate.

My questions are- are either of these GTG?
-Will the both FIT the hooks on the MS3 sling?
I have seen some other ones get not-so-good reviews for failures/breakage and I want to be sure I reccommend him one that will hold up.

Are there any OTHER brands that would be a better choice?

I showed him Magpuls ASAP[?] ambi endplate (because he's looking to experiment with 1-point as well), and he didn't seem to like it- I can run it past him again, but he seems to be leaning toward the single loop type like I linked to.
Should I perhaps suggest a 2-loop ambi endplate?
(http://www.midwayusa.com/product/130710/yankee-hill-machine-receiver-end-plate-loop-sling-mount-adapter-ambidextrous-ar-15-lr-308-carbine-aluminum-matte)
{Yeah, I know YHM sucks- it's just an example.}

I know this is kind of dumb, but I run QD points, and all my research is in those, so I don't know what the good stuff is for hook attachents.

Hehuhates
02-14-13, 15:23
Another option: http://www.ikickhippies.com/ . I've used it for a while and I like it.

The_Hammer_Man
02-14-13, 15:29
Another option: http://www.ikickhippies.com/ . I've used it for a while and I like it.

+1 to the above. If you're not going to use a QD then this would work.

For the MS3 sling the ikickhippies end plate looks like it would rock. Also, it wouldn't rattle like the Magpul product does at times.

bleaman225
02-14-13, 15:30
I thought you were talking about velcro/hook and loop from the title...

What about removing the extra "chain link" on a Magpul ASAP, seems like it would be ambidextrous. Never tried so I can't promise anything.

Steve S.
02-14-13, 17:33
The Noveske QD end plate is a solid choice. Add a heavy QD swivel, and hook into that.

I like using this end plate on my builds for single point capability. Ambidextrous without the rattle.

ETA Google pic.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/15/u6ysezut.jpg

The_Hammer_Man
02-14-13, 17:39
They do make an MS-3 with a QD socket on the end and the 'gator clip for 2-point slinging.

That is what I run.. QD in the rear and a clip point on the rail.

Donut
02-14-13, 17:51
+1 to the above. If you're not going to use a QD then this would work.

For the MS3 sling the ikickhippies end plate looks like it would rock. Also, it wouldn't rattle like the Magpul product does at times.

+2

I really like the IKH rear sling plate. I've got one on my AR pistol with a Gear Sector single-point/HK Hook. Plus, it's inexpensive.

Grand58742
02-14-13, 18:00
I ended up putting one of the Vltor end plates on for a dude a few weeks ago. He seems to like it and installation was the same as other plates. No long term analysis yet, but appeared to be well made. One thing I did do was add some Locktite onto the threads of that reversible screw. I just wasn't comfortable with something that could rattle off inside a weapon even in the enclosed space of the lower receiver.

ZoneOne
02-14-13, 18:35
I've used the Magpul ASAP and enjoyed it. Previously I used the Midwest Industries slip on End plate that has two hook loops on either side. Both performed well.

thopkins22
02-14-13, 18:42
Tango Down PR-4. And if he's sold on the MS3, then the option with the QD.

The Tango Down to me is a better/stronger solution, albeit not as "clean" as the endplate options(which I still run on a couple of carbines.) Also if it fails, the rifle doesn't go tits up like an endplate failure. Combine that with no host modifications, and it's a winner.

Nater
02-14-13, 19:32
The Noveske QD end plate is a solid choice. Add a heavy QD swivel, and hook into that.

I like using this end plate on my builds for single point capability. Ambidextrous without the rattle.

ETA Google pic.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/15/u6ysezut.jpg

This is what I run for the same reason, except that I use a MS3 with the QD swivel. It is quiet enough for coyote hunting. Perhaps this is a non-issue for your friend. The only other option I would consider for my application would have been a sling with a clip + the Noveske end plate + a QD swivel D-ring. I don't recall where but I have seen the QD D-ring swivels. For the front attachment I have the MagPul RSA. His application may have different requirements, but I believe that being able to transition from strong to weak side is an imperative.

Sdub518
02-14-13, 21:09

Another +1 good sized loop allows free movement of the sling. Good for smooth transition to week side.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

eodinert
02-15-13, 03:12
I wish someone would make a true HK sized loop for the AR, front and rear.

I like the HK style clips on a sling, but all of the 'loops' that I've seen on the market are large, and allow the clip to flip around and the loop to put it's weight on the gate (usually screwing the gate up in the process).

Ok, I'm done. Sorry for the thread jack.

Kenneth
02-15-13, 03:27
Another +1 good sized loop allows free movement of the sling. Good for smooth transition to week side.

+1
I too just put one on my build amd I like it. It's really robust and I'm not worried about it bending or breaking. Beware though some stocks will not collapse all the way forward with it. At least the CTR won't.

Hehuhates
02-15-13, 04:00
Are any of you guys having your QD endplates coming undone?
My brother was using that setup and ditched it because it came loose a time or two. I've had my MS3 open up on me using the IKH Slap. Be sure to use the lock.

Nater
02-15-13, 05:34
Are any of you guys having your QD endplates coming undone?
My brother was using that setup and ditched it because it came loose a time or two. I've had my MS3 open up on me using the IKH Slap. Be sure to use the lock.

I assume that you are referring to the QD swivel being inadvertently released from the end plate. I have not experienced this with my ms3. On the contrary, sometimes I struggle to get my large thumbs to push the button in far enough to release it. My Vltor stock will collapse all the way as well, without affecting the swivel's lock-up.

markm
02-15-13, 06:51
What about removing the extra "chain link" on a Magpul ASAP, seems like it would be ambidextrous. Never tried so I can't promise anything.

Yep. I have a take off ASAP if the OP wants it for like $10 for the shipping and hastle.

Sdub518
02-15-13, 13:11
+1
I too just put one on my build amd I like it. It's really robust and I'm not worried about it bending or breaking. Beware though some stocks will not collapse all the way forward with it. At least the CTR won't.

This was easily remedied with a few good taps to the loop with a ball peen hammer

steyrman13
02-15-13, 13:26
He could also check out the new BFG VCAS sling that LAV spoke about on the last episode on TAC TV that can be conifgured with QD for 2 point or 1 point sling and still adjusted for both strong and weak side shooting.

Steve S.
02-15-13, 21:11
He could also check out the new BFG VCAS sling that LAV spoke about on the last episode on TAC TV that can be conifgured with QD for 2 point or 1 point sling and still adjusted for both strong and weak side shooting.

Any more info on this outside of Tac TV?

steyrman13
02-15-13, 22:08
That's the only place I have seen it so far. It looks like a mix between the Blue Force Gear SOC-C sling and VCAS sling. I don't see it on the website yet. They also introduced the new VCAS with Cobra disconnect. The Cobra buckle slings are now on BFG website so it should be showing the new VCAS sling on there as well. You could prob call CS at BFG to ask for more info on release date and prices.

Redbeardsong
02-16-13, 06:47
I think the IKH SLAP is going to be best choice, next to the Magpul ASAP, to use with the MS3. The clips on the MS3 won't fit most HK style loops.

Jellybean
02-16-13, 13:23
I think the IKH SLAP is going to be best choice, next to the Magpul ASAP, to use with the MS3. The clips on the MS3 won't fit most HK style loops.

That's good to know- I had a feeling, looking at the design of them.

Jellybean
02-16-13, 13:34
Yep. I have a take off ASAP if the OP wants it for like $10 for the shipping and hastle.

I appreciate the offer- but happily the guy has enough tools of his own to make whatever mods he wants. He's kind of a "handyman" sort of guy.

Personally if it was me, I like the modded ASAP or IKH plates- but I'm not the one making the decision, so I will have to run those ideas past him.
I will say right now, he's probably going to want to stick with the "hook" attachments on the MS3- based on how he has his rifles set up, as well as the money he wants to spend, it's going tot be a LOT easier for me to work him through this, without him becoming disinterested and scrapping the whole idea. It should also keep the costs slightly lower.