PDA

View Full Version : Considering a barrel swap...input?

ASH556
02-14-13, 16:53
Hey guys, I've thought quite a bit about swapping the LW barrel out of my DD upper and am considering it again. The barrel is a 16" DD LW CHF 1:7. I've run probably about 1,300 rounds through it.

Here are my reasons for wanting to switch it:

1) I now actually have paperwork pending for an M4-2000 silencer, and while I plan to mostly run it on my MK18, I'd also like the option to run it on the 16" gun. The increased flex I'd see in the LW barrel concerns me.

2) While the LW barrel was accurate enough (0.75-1MOA with match ammo) I'd like to see if I could squeeze some more accuracy out of a different barrel...especially as it heats up

3) The suppressor is also going to increase the heat to the barrel and a heavier barrel profile will resist the heat for longer.

So, will those points out there, come the questions:

1) Should I really consider switching the barrel?

If the answer to this is yes, should I go with

1) an SS match barrel for most enhanced accuracy

2) a std .gov profile barrel

3) a SOCOM profile barrel for increased rigidity and heat prevention

Here's the rifle...it's sort of block II-ish, so the SOCOM barrel would add to the "clone" appeal. Also, as a final point, the entire rifle is DD at this point, so I would prefer to stick with a DD barrel and midlength gas if I could.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_1205.jpg

and an alternate configuration where the accuracy component makes more sense:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_1182.jpg

ColtSeavers
02-14-13, 16:58
I would just go with a SOCOM/Medcon/M10 barrel.

ASH556
02-14-13, 17:39
Here's a follow up thought: since I'm dedicated to the AAC muzzle device for mounting the silencer, is this a rare occasion where 14.5 with perm FH makes sense?

RearwardAssist
02-14-13, 18:02
Here's a follow up thought: since I'm dedicated to the AAC muzzle device for mounting the silencer, is this a rare occasion where 14.5 with perm FH makes sense?

I would probably do the 14.5 pinned versus swapping to a different profile 16", if it were me. No scientific reason other than to keep the overall length down with the can on.

halfmoonclip
02-14-13, 22:33
Why not try the pencil, even with the can, before swapping it out?
In my time in the service, pencils are all we had, and they never presented an accuracy issue, and overheating didn't seem to be a problem either, even with repeated mag dumps. They heated up quicker, but they cooled off quicker as well.
Never understood the rationale behind Government Profile, and HBars are just too damn heavy.
One man's opinion,
Moon

MistWolf
02-14-13, 23:46
1) an SS match barrel for most enhanced accuracy

Of what practical use will the enhanced accuracy be to you? 1 MOA is 2 inches at 200 yards. .5 MOA is 1 inch. However, 1 MOA at 25 yards is .25 inches and .5 MOA is .125. 4 MOA is 1 inch at 25 yards and good enough to target the eye socket at that range

2) a std .gov profile barrel

Same diameter between the chamber and gas block as a lightweight barrel. More weight for no gain. Pass

3) a SOCOM profile barrel for increased rigidity and heat prevention

This barrel will be more durable but heavier. Is the trade off worth it?

Remember, ammo before accessories, shoot before changing. Try the barrel you have now. It's likely that if you set aside a little bit each pay check to save up for a replacement barrel, you'll have the money before you wear yours out, even with a suppressor

...They (pencil barrels) heated up quicker, but they cooled off quicker as well...

That's not an advantage because it takes less heat before they reach their temperature limit

Koshinn
02-14-13, 23:54

I think a 14.5" with permed fh makes sense on a suppressor host. Shorter barrels resist flex more and bring in the center of gravity for a more balanced feel.

As for the profile of that barrel... Whatever works for you, but if you aren't firing full auto, I doubt the socom barrel will make a difference. I would tend to shy away from lw just for the increased stiffness though. Try get a N4 barrel?

MistWolf
02-15-13, 00:03
I've been doing a bit of reading on the NFA forums. It seems that a pinned FH may not be the best choice. It's said that a brake should be used instead of a FH to reduce suppressor erosion. The brake will take most of the erosion first and if it's pinned, it will be harder to replace it when it's worn to it's limits

Koshinn
02-15-13, 00:09
I've been doing a bit of reading on the NFA forums. It seems that a pinned FH may not be the best choice. It's said that a brake should be used instead of a FH to reduce suppressor erosion. The brake will take most of the erosion first and if it's pinned, it will be harder to replace it when it's worn to it's limits

That's mostly true on 10.5-12.5" guns, which are much harsher than longer barreled weapons. People use fh qd mounts on 14.5+ barrels and show barely any erosion.

Another problem is that the 5.56 aac 51t brake is 2" long, which adds just under 1.5" to the barrel length because part of the device overlaps the non threaded part of the barrel. The 5.56 aac 51t fh is 2.5" long, making it safe on a 14.5" barrel. While it's true some companies actually produce 14.7" barrels and label them 14.5", you'd have to have the barrel in hand to determine that... Or use a lot of shims before pinning.

If he's going for that replica look, a 14.5" is definitely the way to go, besides what I posted earlier.

bp7178
02-15-13, 00:19
More rigid barrel profiles will not shift the POI with/without the supressor as much.

The warranty of the suppressor may be an issue when using a perm device.

If you are going the 14.5 route, make sure it isn't welded on with a crush washer under it. Either use a solution that doesn't use washers, or use a peel washer/shims.

Maybe this day and age we shouldn't talk about targeting eye sockets. :blink:

Koshinn
02-15-13, 00:22
More rigid barrel profiles will not shift the POI with/without the supressor as much.

The warranty of the suppressor may be an issue when using a perm device.

If you are going the 14.5 route, make sure it isn't welded on with a crush washer under it. Either use a solution that doesn't use washers, or use a peel washer/shims.

Maybe this day and age we shouldn't talk about targeting eye sockets. :blink:

Coyote and hog eye sockets obviously.