PDA

View Full Version : Bolt is tight in bolt carrier.

SW-Shooter
02-14-13, 20:15
Cryptic title, caveman need help.

During the panic I wanted an extra BCG, so in the madness I settled for an RGuns Auto BCG for $115.00. Now I know why the price was so low.

Problem: The bolt has a very tight fit inside the carrier. To the point where hand cycling is even difficult. I took the black rubber o-ring off of the extractor spring assembly, but it's still very tight.

Question: Is there anything I can do, short of returning it, to make it function more smoothly? Should it be that tight? Will it affect function under fire? I don't want to shoot it and then face them not accepting it back after being used.

Any help is appreciated.

Sdub518
02-14-13, 20:36
I would get rid of it personally

ForTehNguyen
02-14-13, 20:37
the rings wear in after shooting and will get smoother

SW-Shooter
02-14-13, 21:53
I would get rid of it personally

This is why I choose to listen to the senior membership of M4C, and not someone that fly's off with nonsense.

ForTehNguyen,

I cleaned it up with the ultrasonic cleaner, took a little Flitz to the bolt-carrier chamber, wiped it off and then hot lubed it with froglube. All that in under 30 minutes and it is just like my BCM BCG, nice and smooth now. I can say one thing about RGuns, they did a great job of staking the carrier key.

Mods can shut this down, no use in wasting bandwidth on this one anymore.

ForTehNguyen
02-14-13, 21:57
my DD bolt was tight when I first got it. Ran a couple hundred rounds in it and it was a lot smoother.

Iraqgunz
02-14-13, 22:20
I have had name brand do it also. Lube the piss out of it and shoot it.

Sdub518
02-14-13, 22:33
I apologize. for some reason you made it sound to me like it was extremely tight, not snug.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

T Bob
02-14-13, 22:35
You can do simple test to check the function of the bolt transitioning from a closed bolt to a open bolt. If you have acces to an air compressor, take a air hose with a blow gun and place the tip of the blow gun into the gas key with your bolt in the closed position, with relatively low air pressure, 25-50 psi a quick shot of air should unlock the bolt, if it does not open your bolt, try more pressure, if it will not open at any pressure verify the gas rings are properly installed and the bore of the carrier is smooth with no imperfections.
It could very likely have an out of spec internal diameter or the gas ring groove in the bolt could be too shallow, either way you should have a warranty.

Iraqgunz
02-14-13, 22:41
Ok, why? Means absolutely nothing. He could also have bad rings or even a bad bolt. All he needs to do is lube it and shoot it.

You can do simple test to check the function of the bolt transitioning from a closed bolt to a open bolt. If you have acces to an air compressor, take a air hose with a blow gun and place the tip of the blow gun into the gas key with your bolt in the closed position, with relatively low air pressure, 25-50 psi a quick shot of air should unlock the bolt, if it does not open your bolt, try more pressure, if it will not open at any pressure verify the gas rings are properly installed and the bore of the carrier is smooth with no imperfections.
It could very likely have an out of spec internal diameter or the gas ring groove in the bolt could be too shallow, either way you should have a warranty.

T2C
02-14-13, 23:10
It is normal for some bolt carrier groups and I would not be concerned about it. Use a generous amount of lube on it and shoot the daylights out of it.

mikedamageinc
09-27-13, 08:21
Same problem here, didnt want to start a new thread. I'm looking for something that can hone out the carrier a little, maybe a dremel attachment or something else by hand. I got a hardware bolt, wraped a piece of paper towel and then a piece of fine sandpaper and worked it some, cleaned it all up, lubed and reassembled, still feels tight.

In the rifle the questionable bcg wont chamber a new round, primary bcg works fine. I interchanged bolts and the working bolt is tight in the nonworking carrier, nonworking bolt is smooth in the working carrier, so it has to be the carrier not the bolt or rings.

Chorizo
09-27-13, 08:27
Put the dremel down and step away from the weapon. DO IT! NOW!

tog
09-27-13, 09:49

I've heard that the dremel has caused more damage than fixes as far as firearms are concerned. Beautiful handguns can be found in the used section of gunstores with ruined feed ramps because of the dremel. I'm sure the same holds true for the M4. Do pros like IG own dremels? Just curious.

Heavy Metal
09-27-13, 10:37
Take the extractor off and re-insert the bolt. Tell me if it is still tight.

Cryptic title, caveman need help.

During the panic I wanted an extra BCG, so in the madness I settled for an RGuns Auto BCG for $115.00. Now I know why the price was so low.

Problem: The bolt has a very tight fit inside the carrier. To the point where hand cycling is even difficult. I took the black rubber o-ring off of the extractor spring assembly, but it's still very tight.

Question: Is there anything I can do, short of returning it, to make it function more smoothly? Should it be that tight? Will it affect function under fire? I don't want to shoot it and then face them not accepting it back after being used.

Any help is appreciated.

ForTehNguyen
09-27-13, 10:39
shoot it, it will loosen up. My DD bolt was tight now its much slicker

mikedamageinc
09-27-13, 14:37

Ha! I'm not too much of a square peg round hole guy and I don't mean to hit it with a grinding wheel, more like a hone brush .

And it currently makes the rifle a single shot. Im probably not gonna keep shooting and pulling the charge handle a few hundred times.

DMViergever
09-27-13, 17:49
I would be much more concerned if it were loose. As others said, lube and shoot. It is most likely just extra material from when they coated it and will probably only take a few rounds.