PDA

View Full Version : TangoDown/ADM joint venture Vertical grip...NEW!

SMGLee
03-11-08, 16:59
For those that have complained about how the TD grip have some slight movement or the vertical grip did not fit those pesky off spec Picatinny rails.......Here is your answer!!

The newly designed Vertical grip by TangoDown in a joint venture with American Defense feature the quick release capability for those that need to remove the grip for anther accessories mounting, for those out of spec Picatinny rails, and those that require a rock solid mounting of their vertical grip, this is it.

the estimated price will be somewhere in the 80-85.00 range, it will be in full production within the next 40 days, and it will be available in 3 versions and in Ranger Green, Flat Dark Earth and Black. the three versions are the standard grip, the stubby grip and the Insight Tech pressure switch grip.

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/cltactical/huge/TDgrip.jpg

Please note the grip in the picture are prototypes, so the exposed steel hardware will all be finished in flat black in the production version, and the Ranger Green version will be more in tune to the true SOCOM spec'ed color. also the final finish of the plastic will be the normal flat non-reflective finish.

Impact
03-11-08, 17:08
very nice :)

BushmasterFanBoy
03-11-08, 17:28
Looks very interesting.

Shihan
03-11-08, 17:38
ADM is also making a retro mount for those who already own a TD grip.

Impact
03-11-08, 21:58

sweet !

exitinyourhead
03-11-08, 22:02
sweet!

I gave my last tango down foregrip to my kid for his paintball gun. There was no way I was getting it on my Rock River's rail. I'm not sure if it (the rail on my RRA) is far out of spec or what but it would have taken some serious filing and after reading the posts about the wobble in it I was concerened about putting the effort in and then not being satisfied anyway. This looks like a much more forgiving platform.

I think magpul or larue should take a shot at making these grips... i know they could do a great job and fit just about anything.

DrMark
03-13-08, 09:22
Looks good.

VA_Dinger
03-13-08, 09:46
Very impressive.

By the way; welcome to M4C.

It's nice to have SMGlee as a member and thats one hell of a 1st post. :D

mark5pt56
03-13-08, 09:49
That sure cuts down on the bulk and extra pieces that would be cobbled together. Great idea for those folks who like a VG.

C4IGrant
03-13-08, 10:31
The TD VG was the industry standard. Now they just trumped themselves with a better product (hard thing to do).

C4

NCPatrolAR
03-13-08, 12:40
Excellent.....I can now transition over to one of the stubby grips on my lone AR that has out of spec rails. :D

Magsz
03-13-08, 13:44
Hmmm, is the position of the locking mechanism reversible in relation to the switch pocket? I do realize that you can just turn the grip around on the stubby version but the full size, not without altering the placement of the switch pocket.

Im a right handed shooter so when using that grip the palm of my left hand is going to rest on or near the lever. Id love the option to turn it around if thats even possible (i doubt it is) so that it doesnt interfere with my hand.

Thats really my only complaint. Thus far i absolutely adore ADM's products and their customer service is top frickin notch.

rmecapn
03-13-08, 16:24
For those that have complained about how the TD grip have some slight movement or the vertical grip did not fit those pesky off spec Picatinny rails........

Unfortunately, TD didn't get that reputation just because folks were putting them on out-of-spec rails. I've read reports of wobble even on high end rails such as LT and DD. I'm glad to see they improved the mounting system.

C4IGrant
03-13-08, 16:29
Unfortunately, TD didn't get that reputation just because folks were putting them on out-of-spec rails. I've read reports of wobble even on high end rails such as LT and DD. I'm glad to see they improved the mounting system.

The "fit" issue has always come down to the fact that in the M1913 Spec, there are allowable differences. One company could be at the high and another be at the low end and still be "in spec."

With the throw lever setup, there are no more worries about that.

C4

Submariner
03-13-08, 16:42

DING! DING! DING!

We have TD VFG's that wobble on multiple KAC rails.

SMGLee
03-13-08, 17:54
Very impressive.

Dinger, thank you for the welcome.

Hmmm, is the position of the locking mechanism reversible in relation to the switch pocket? I do realize that you can just turn the grip around on the stubby version but the full size, not without altering the placement of the switch pocket.

Im a right handed shooter so when using that grip the palm of my left hand is going to rest on or near the lever. Id love the option to turn it around if thats even possible (i doubt it is) so that it doesnt interfere with my hand.

Thats really my only complaint. Thus far i absolutely adore ADM's products and their customer service is top frickin notch.

You can reverse any of the TD VFG with the ADM mount. the lever on the mount can rotate 360 degree. all you need to do is mount the grip in the direction you prefer, turn the lever to the direction where you deem deisreable. lock the lever and off you go.

If you want the the lever on the opposit isde, that would be difficult. but try it, the curved lever actually makes a great thumb rest. I have been running the prototype ever since Shot show, the lever does not get in the way at all.. It feels much better then the Bobro frip with that big aluminum piece.

SuicideHz
03-13-08, 18:23
And I've had two different TD VFGs and 3 different DD rails. All have fit differently.

I think it's got something to do with variances at TD's factory, although I'm sure they always stayed within spec. Either that or DD fluctuated that much?

Lumpy196
03-13-08, 18:50
Very impressive.

Indeed! Good to see you here man.

rmecapn
03-14-08, 12:25
And I've had two different TD VFGs and 3 different DD rails. All have fit differently.

I think it's got something to do with variances at TD's factory, although I'm sure they always stayed within spec. Either that or DD fluctuated that much?

As Grant indicated, it's a spec that allows for tolerances by both TD and the rail maker. The problem was that TD's mounting system wasn't able to adequately address the stacking of tolerances. This new system does. Kudos to TD for being willing to admit the old mounting system, while a novel idea, didn't work all that well.

ADM
03-14-08, 18:24
As with all ADM mounts the lever can be set in both directions. It may lock to the front or the rear . Flexability is a key feature for operator comfort and performance. I hope this helps. :D
thank you
ADM

MH64
03-14-08, 21:23
ADM
Whats the word on your QD adapter for standard VFGs?

Lancelot
03-14-08, 22:33
This looks like it is well thought out. It should eliminate all the I can't get the TD on the rails stories....

Shihan
03-15-08, 01:27
ADM

MH64
03-15-08, 23:21

Yes thats what I was wondering about.

Didn't see it listed on there website.

When and how much?

greentips
03-18-08, 09:18
IMHO, I don't think this is needed - it is grip, why is it getting more and more complicated?

Part of the reasons I speculate is that many people want the thing to be "tight". I have a friend who loves it and thinks it is normal the grip should be ultra tight, such that he needs to use a mallet to drive the grip onto the rail. It "feels" good for him....... but personally I would like it a bit loose. This is a grip, it doesn't need to retain zero. A loose grip means I could move it, remove it or ditch it faster and easier. Of course it shouldn't be dangling, and I have seen people who complained about wobbling grip which are IMHO normal, and actually it should be that way.

We are just abandoning KISS and getting needlessly technological for a plastic grip. The original is dead simple. In search of this ultimate irrelevant aesthetic appeal and excessive customization, we are all lost in more mechanical devices that are not needed.

NCPatrolAR
03-18-08, 09:33
IMHO, I don't think this is needed - it is grip, why is it getting more and more complicated?

Part of the reasons I speculate is that many people want the thing to be "tight". I have a friend who loves it and thinks it is normal the grip should be ultra tight, such that he needs to use a mallet to drive the grip onto the rail. It "feels" good for him....... but personally I would like it a bit loose. This is a grip, it doesn't need to retain zero. A loose grip means I could move it, remove it or ditch it faster and easier. Of course it shouldn't be dangling, and I have seen people who complained about wobbling grip which are IMHO normal, and actually it should be that way.

We are just abandoning KISS and getting needlessly technological for a plastic grip. The original is dead simple. In search of this ultimate irrelevant aesthetic appeal and excessive customization, we are all lost in more mechanical devices that are not needed.

Wobble in fireamrs tends to be a bad thing. While you might not notice any detriment if shooting at bad breath disatnce, the further you get away from the target the greater the negative influence you'll see from gun part wobble.

If you stop and look at your comment about being quick to remove the VFG, you would see that this new version is actually faster than the original. I dont see any draw backs to this new version that is coming out.

Rik
03-18-08, 09:35
I'm holding out for this Tango/ADM grip because it is quickly removed without tools and you don't have to slide it off the rail.

rmecapn
03-18-08, 10:40
Grant,
That's a rough crowd over at LF.net. ;)

C4IGrant
03-18-08, 10:52
Grant,
That's a rough crowd over at LF.net. ;)

Have not been over there yet today. Will take a peak at the thread.

C4

tuff
03-19-08, 16:20
SWEET, I look forward to getting my fingers on one, I need one for my Colt...:D

Stickman
03-20-08, 20:09
SMGLee- Good to see you over here.

ADM

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/American%20Defense%20MFG/IMG_1405%201028%20Stick.jpg

SMGLee
03-21-08, 01:44
SMGLee- Good to see you over here.

Thank you Stick......

I have been running the Shot Show Prototype for at while now, it is solid and the ability to remove it when I am shooting off bench just made thing easier.

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/cltactical/huge/DSCN0330.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/cltactical/huge/DSCN0331.JPG

Gunfighter.45
03-21-08, 08:26
Well... at least now it looks like it's worth $69.99.:D

Stickman
03-22-08, 17:40
Thank you Stick......

I have been running the Shot Show Prototype for at while now, it is solid and the ability to remove it when I am shooting off bench just made thing easier.

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/cltactical/huge/DSCN0330.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/cltactical/huge/DSCN0331.JPG

I think the Tango Down & American Defense MFG hybrid VFG is going to surge the VFG market again, especially the stubby variants. I just got done teaching a carbine course, and the ability to adjust and swap items back and forth without the use of tools is nice.

The price of the new grip is another obvious plus.

bigshooter
03-22-08, 19:32
when can we get at them?

Desertf0x9
03-22-08, 20:31
Great cant wait to upgrade my existing TD vfg with the new mount. I've stopped using it cause it was a huge pain to put on and take off. Tolerances were way to tight.

Shihan
03-22-08, 23:23
I have some pics of the stubby TD grip in FDE with the prototype ADM adapter if someone could help a brother out with getting the pics on here.

SuicideHz
03-23-08, 00:25
I have some pics of the stubby TD grip in FDE with the prototype ADM adapter if someone could help a brother out with getting the pics on here.

You already know who to ask...

IM sent...

Shihan
03-23-08, 03:15
You already know who to ask...

IM sent...

You Da Man!

SuicideHz
03-23-08, 13:06
Here it is:

http://www1.zoto.com/suicidehz/img/768x1024/76eca846c98ae092294e18918b335c1b.jpg

adawg
03-25-08, 14:55
I remember some folks raising a stink about ADM gouging rails. Any update on this? Was this just hype or is it legit (even if the marks are small)? This new VFG really interests me, but I am one of those guys (call me a loser, it is cool), that babies the heck out of their rifles and hates scratches.

Thanks!

C4IGrant
03-25-08, 14:59
I remember some folks raising a stink about ADM gouging rails. Any update on this? Was this just hype or is it legit (even if the marks are small)? This new VFG really interests me, but I am one of those guys (call me a loser, it is cool), that babies the heck out of their rifles and hates scratches.

Thanks!

Actually there is no issue and there never was.

Like ANY mount, if you do not adjust the tension (basically tighten the lever or the nut) and just let it slide back and fourth on the rail, you will get wear. Only an incompetent idiot would do this.

C4

SuicideHz
03-25-08, 15:15

Thanks!

No actually it was thr LaRue mounts that burnish the rails, not the ADM mounts. Burnishing is not the same thing as scratching.

adawg
03-25-08, 15:19
Alright guys, thanks! I don't want to take this thread down that road. I think I will keep this on my to buy list and wait a few months to see how they work out for folks. I have larger hands, so the length of the full size really makes me want one of these.

petey1
04-14-08, 13:20
Any new word on when these will be available?:)

Rich776
04-14-08, 14:08
Any new word on when these will be available?:)

I'd like to know too. I'm ready to place an order as soon as they're available :)

C4IGrant
04-14-08, 14:24
I'd like to know too. I'm ready to place an order as soon as they're available :)

We should start to see something in about 30 days.

C4

mattmcg
04-14-08, 16:19
Tagged for interest. I'd like to get one of these once they become available.

petey1
04-16-08, 01:53
We should start to see something in about 30 days.

C4

Big_A
04-22-08, 17:17
Looks like TD has another winner on their hands. I use all TD gear on my rifles. :)

C4IGrant
04-23-08, 08:47
Looks like TD has another winner on their hands. I use all TD gear on my rifles. :)

Yes they do. They will also most likely get an NSN number for it. ;)

C4

Rich776
04-23-08, 11:45
Yes they do. They will also most likely get an NSN number for it. ;)

C4

Let us know when you get them in stock because I will definitely purchase 1, maybe 2;)

bigshooter
05-09-08, 23:05
anything yet?

C4IGrant
05-10-08, 08:37
anything yet?

Nothing yet, but they are on track with the project.

C4

petey1
05-31-08, 01:02
This wait is killing me:D .....any new news or updated release date?

militarymoron
06-10-08, 00:07
patience my friends. it's soon....very soon... :)
here's my writeup with more pics:
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.furniture.html#tdadm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/tdadm9.jpg

Rich776
06-10-08, 02:01
Nice review mm. I'll definitely be ordering one or two as soon as its available :cool:

TacDoc
06-10-08, 06:27
As always, very nice review MM!

Are we talking about weeks or months on the release date?

The wait is killing me...

militarymoron
06-10-08, 08:39
don't know exactly when, sorry. but having production versions is a good sign. i took the blister pack packaging and website photos last night for TD. i'm guessing weeks instead of months.

Rich776
06-26-08, 12:31
Any updates? ;)

b_saan
06-26-08, 12:59
patience my friends. it's soon....very soon... :)
here's my writeup with more pics:
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.furniture.html#tdadm

Feel free to send me that FDE Stubby so I can "T&E" it... ;)

Stickman
06-26-08, 20:30
Any updates? ;)

MM will have a better time line than most of us, but after just getting mine, I am pretty sure that those people who like the old Tango Down VFG will like this one even more.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/American%20Defense%20MFG/IMG_0041%201028%20WEVO.jpg

Rich776
07-11-08, 19:15
It looks like its out on Tango Down's website. Looking to buy it from one of our vendors here ;)

Rich776
07-30-08, 03:16
any update yet?

ADM
07-30-08, 07:04
it wont be long now :D
ADM

C4IGrant
07-30-08, 08:36
any update yet?

I believe they are shipping this week! :D

C4

Stickman
07-30-08, 14:04
I think the Tango Down VFG is probably the most used VFG out there (aside from the MIL issued KAC). Has anyone ever seen one break under use (and can show pictures not BS internet rumors)? Just curious, with all of them out there they have been remarkable in their ability to take abuse from what I've seen.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/American%20Defense%20MFG/IMG_7199%201028%20Stick.jpg

RallySoob
07-30-08, 15:14
I think the Tango Down VFG is probably the most used VFG out there (aside from the MIL issued KAC). Has anyone ever seen one break under use (and can show pictures not BS internet rumors)? Just curious, with all of them out there they have been remarkable in their ability to take abuse from what I've seen.

the reason I dont run it anymore is because of the old fitment issue. This is a great fix! I wish they would have done this from the beginning because I don't see myself trading in my Bobro Shorty for one of these anymore... Bobro sure does feel better too as it is thinner and lighter.

Stick, How would you say it compares to the Bobro?

heres a shot of the bobro for comparison...
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q198/RallySoob/myM4.jpg

Stickman
07-30-08, 21:10
Stick, How would you say it compares to the Bobro?

The primary difference I see in using both of them is the size difference. Much like pistol grips, and length of pull on stocks, some people will strongly prefer one over the other based on their own physical makeup. Other people will use them both and not see any functional differences, and both will work well.

RallySoob
07-31-08, 09:26
The primary difference I see in using both of them is the size difference. Much like pistol grips, and length of pull on stocks, some people will strongly prefer one over the other based on their own physical makeup. Other people will use them both and not see any functional differences, and both will work well.

I think I'm in need of both now... The Bobro does not have a slot to run the on/off switch pad. I'll be using the new TD for my night setup

Soulrack223
08-02-08, 19:37
Are these available to order yet?

casio02478
08-03-08, 11:56
On my to buy list :D

C4IGrant
08-03-08, 17:13
Are these available to order yet?

Most likely Monday or Tuesday.

C4

bigshooter
08-07-08, 21:21
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY LONGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that didn't help at all, i still really wish i could just order a pair of these things.

Rich776
08-07-08, 21:23
Yea likewise. Still waiting on these too.

Stickman
08-07-08, 21:36
If you asked real nicely, Grant would probably do a preorder, which would get them out to you as soon as he saw them. Even if you didn't ask real nicely, he might do it.....

I was out happily running my TD/ ADM VFG yesterday while teaching a class, and the VFG was enjoyed by several other instructors and students. At the end of playing around with it, the biggest question seemed to be where they could get one, and why I had one before them.

Stickman
08-07-08, 21:37
Not the weapon used in class, but here is another picture.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_6375%201028%20Stick.jpg

C4IGrant
08-18-08, 17:06
Got some of these babies in!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=TDOW

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TD/VGQDK_BLK.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TD/VGQDK_FDE.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TD/VGQDK_FG.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TD/VGQD_FDE1.jpg

bigshooter
08-18-08, 18:41
full size black ones soon to follow?

karmapolice
08-18-08, 19:09
crap I want two of these for my rifles bad

Rich776
08-18-08, 19:56

Thats what i'm looking for too

C4IGrant
08-19-08, 08:44

End of the week I believe.

C4

mike5
08-19-08, 11:14
crap I want two of these for my rifles bad.

Just buy them, it is only money:D. I have faith you will make more.:p
Tom

karmapolice
08-19-08, 13:27
lol I would if I had the money, but I do not have it. I am broke after building my last rifle and back in class right now so not as open of a scheduled to work and I need to find work up here otherwise I have to drive 60 miles to work at the shop.

bigshooter
08-19-08, 18:33
End of the week I believe.

is it just a coinscidence that i get paid at the end of the week?..................