PDA

View Full Version : Buffer tube threads too long

gsxcess
02-15-13, 10:05
Anyone experienced the threads on the buffer tube protruding too far out of the back? My buttstock will only use 5 of the 6 positions (not an issue as I generally shoot fully extended) however when collapsing the buttstock prior to engaging the detent it hits the threads on the back of the tube. I suppose that I just need to purchase a new tube but wanted to see if anyone had suggestions first. Currently have a MOE stock, would it work to just clean a little polymer from inside the stock or would that have detrimental effects? I would leave it be but if I fully collapse the stock it is difficult to deploy and I can see that as a possible issue.

nimdabew
02-15-13, 12:36
Is this a factory installed receiver extension or did you put it on yourself?

markm
02-15-13, 12:40
Never heard of that. Might be a good idea to replace the RE.

gsxcess
02-15-13, 13:02
Installed myself, but that would have nothing to do with it. I will most likely buy a new re but was just curious if any others had experienced a similar issue. It sounds like no so far. If I think about it I will try to get a pic just to clarify what is going on but from how it looks the threads are just cut too far back down the re.

Sanpete
02-15-13, 14:57
I've run into mil spec diameter tubes like that. The stock will get hung up on the threads. It's an inferior tube. It's not a defect. That's how that manufacturer makes them and they simply make them incorrectly. Switch tubes.

3 AE
02-15-13, 19:52
I measured my Colt And BCM REs. Mil-Spec.

Tube diameter 1.146"
OD Thread diameter 1.183"
MOE Stock inside diameter at the opening 1.165"

The last 1/4" of threads just behind the castle nut 1.151" The threads are turned down to allow the stock to fully collapse. You could take it to a machinist to turn down the threads a little. Don't have a clue on what that would cost. Or just get this,

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=BCM-RE

Bulletdog
02-16-13, 10:45
Just for learning purposes: Who makes your tube?