PDA

View Full Version : Quality Training in Central Illinois

lifebreath
02-15-13, 14:59
For anyone interested, Shooter School Weapons Training provides some excellent training in Central Illinois. I'm not affiliated, but I belong to the club where they hold classes and have trained with them. The instruction is high quality from well-qualified instructors with plenty of real-world experience and good guys. The range is located in Atwood, IL, a little southwest of Champaign/Urbana.

Their schedule is posted for this year at:
SCHEDULE (http://shooterschool.com/tschedule.htm)

CVs of instructors:
INSTRUCTORS (http://www.shooterschool.com/instructors.htm)

And their Facebook page is:
FACEBOOK PAGE (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shooter-School-Weapons-Training-Site/111535548896188?fref=ts)

Breacher 217
02-15-13, 18:49
Hmm...never heard of these guys. Might have to check them out.

jmoore
02-15-13, 19:15
I have taken both their 1911 Intro and Advanced armorers classes - both excellent! Good to go group. Look forward to taking some range courses soon. john

RMiller
02-15-13, 23:17
Will be checking this out.

pointblank4445
02-18-13, 10:52
I've only ever worked with Ron and Dave and they are solid guys. There is a vacuum of any firearms training in IL much less good training, and Shooter School is a solid option. When I was invited to audit a class, they were still improving on the facilities which were pretty good to begin with (better facilities i've driven hundreds of miles to train with bigger names like LAV or Ken Hackathorn).

lifebreath
03-05-13, 15:06
I've only ever worked with Ron and Dave and they are solid guys. There is a vacuum of any firearms training in IL much less good training, and Shooter School is a solid option. When I was invited to audit a class, they were still improving on the facilities which were pretty good to begin with (better facilities i've driven hundreds of miles to train with bigger names like LAV or Ken Hackathorn).

"Vacuum in Illinois" definitely. I feel really fortunate to be about 40 minutes from the range and to have them here locally.

The facilities continue to improve. Our club has a nice, new clubhouse with classroom, and some other improvements in the works.

Ron, Dave and Brett are great guys and solid citizens (as I'm sure the other instructors are).

I've no horse in the race. I'm plugging for them here becuase I know there have to be people within a 3-4 hour radius looking for high-quality training within driving distance.

Breacher 217
03-05-13, 15:30
I tried to get my dept to spring for the Carbine 1 class this weekend. They were offering half price tuition. It was a no go. They didn't want me to have another Carbine intro class I guess. I was really wanting to try out a new rifle and I don't have the extra ammo to put myself through.

lifebreath
06-19-13, 09:04
Bump for anyone interested.

streakpi
06-20-13, 23:40
What about Southern Illinois? I've heard of a couple more places up north near Springfield/Champaign. Will post...if allowed. I don't see this thread as a company owned one - am I right?

ryr8828
06-21-13, 03:46
Just start another thread, being in southern IL I'd be interested in reading it.

jmoore
06-21-13, 10:39
I have taken both their 1911 Intro and Advanced armorers classes - both excellent! Good to go group. Look forward to taking some range courses soon. john

I've since taken a short (1-day) "pre-ccw" range class with this group. Once again - a totally above board & g2g group. Knowledgeable & professional instructors with excellent creds. (After spending thousands over the years flying around the country for training, I find Shooter School 40 minutes from me!!!!:)

As I haven't shot a lot recently d/t a retinal detachment and re-attachment surgery, and as I am transitioning from 40+ years of 1911 over to Glocks - I decided to sign up for their 2-day "Pistol I" class being offered the first weekend of July. More AAR following that.

john

PS - I've already been in contact with them re CCW training. Once the state of Illinois decides what the hell the requirements are for the 16 hour CCW training, there's a good chance these folks will be putting together a class for those of us trapped here in Central IL.