PDA

View Full Version : Never to old for toys....remote control heli

ALCOAR
02-15-13, 21:33
I received a BladeMCX remote control helicopter as a gift....and it made me feel like I was 10yrs old again at X-mas time:D

Anybody else have one of these? (I thought somebody else posted about these, but couldn't find the thread)

I was flying it within 5min. of opening the box. It includes everything, and is assembled already as well.

I wish I had this thing during the 80's....aka height of my toy playing days:p

If you got a son...or daughter for that matter, one of these would make a super cool gift item.

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC09533_zps48cdeb39.jpg

3 AE
02-15-13, 21:53
Cool! What's the range on something like that before bad things happen? :D

Belmont31R
02-15-13, 22:11
Those things are awesome. Brings the kid out in all of us. :p

QuickStrike
02-15-13, 22:13
I want an outdoor one to mess around with. Perfect park toy imo.

halo2304
02-15-13, 22:16
I got one but I've been to busy to play with the damn thing! My stepson got one as well. Being close to 7yo, he loves to make it crash into the ceiling. :rolleyes:

Moose-Knuckle
02-16-13, 02:22
Yeah that would have been the shit with my 3/4" G.I. Joes!

I'm gonna have to pick my nephew up one for his birthday.

Norinco
02-16-13, 02:39
I've been wanting to get one so I can mess with my cat. Lol

Cameron
02-16-13, 02:46
Yeah I asked for one for my 38th birthday, luckily my wife is a keeper and got me not one, but two, and a remote controlled car...

Took me back to my first remote controlled car from when I was 8.

Awesome.

Cameron

Magic_Salad0892
02-16-13, 03:12
I wanna get one of those $4000 remote controlled airplanes.

JohnnyC
02-16-13, 03:59
I'm currently waiting on a quadrotor I backed on Kickstarter. I sprung for the Skynet option that lets me point and click a Google maps image and the thing goes off by itself to cause trouble. I can't wait to see the stuff I can do with it.

I'm also waiting to get back to the States to pick up my Micro Butterfly. They're freaking entertaining!!!

http://www.microflight.com/Online-Catalog/Ready-to-Fly-Airplanes

Magic_Salad0892
02-16-13, 04:00
I'm currently waiting on a quadrotor I backed on Kickstarter. I sprung for the Skynet option that lets me point and click a Google maps image and the thing goes off by itself to cause trouble. I can't wait to see the stuff I can do with it.

I'm also waiting to get back to the States to pick up my Micro Butterfly. They're freaking entertaining!!!

http://www.microflight.com/Online-Catalog/Ready-to-Fly-Airplanes

What is this 1997?

JohnnyC
02-16-13, 04:13
It's mainly an exercise in academics, but the ability for people to do this by themselves at home is just effing sexy. I don't think you could do this in 1997. I can do this at home in my skivvies drinking coffee on my back porch.

Here's the software:
http://qgroundcontrol.org/

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-16-13, 05:22
Gateway drug. One of those lead to a Dx6i controller and a Champ, t28, Spitfire and p40 (with AS3x) and a microaces p51.

These lead to my 8 year old son wanting to build a Spit 1:72 model, which lead to a Bf109, Stuka and another Spit. Once you do one war, you have to do them all so that lead to an F86 and a mig15 so far. That lead to a bunch of YouTube history of planes videos which lead to having his birthday party a couple of weeks ago at Wings over the Rockies AF museum and a cake with a blue nose p51 on it.

He finally has found something that actually makes him want to read books, which with his dyslexia has not been easy. That and time with the boy makes it all worth while.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-16-13, 05:24
LiPo batteries and digital radios and powerful electric motors have made this a really interesting and affordable hobby.

jaxman7
02-16-13, 06:08
What is this 1997?

There you go again Magic. First you messed with Boba Fett and Star Wars. Now you dishonor me with dissing Terminator. :nono:

I will meet you at noon with my dueling 'assault' pistol box. ;)

-Jax

RIDE
02-16-13, 06:39
Those things are a blast. I have a couple.
The battery charge only lasts about 12 minutes. So I purcbased some upgraded lith batteries that ill soon be soldering in to get about 20-25 mins per flight.
My Rhodesian Ridgeback HATES em. Lol

Caeser25
02-16-13, 06:42
I always wanted one but never pulled the trigger.

chuckman
02-16-13, 06:44
My sis-in-law got my son one for Christmas. That thing is the schnizzle...I play with it more than he does.

R0CKETMAN
02-16-13, 09:06
Is that the rtf?

Texas42
02-16-13, 10:05
My I'm got me one for Christmas. It's tons of fun. Though running it into stuff will ding the propellers.

Totally worth it.

diving dave
02-16-13, 10:34
My wife gave me one of those for Christmas, and our English bulldog goes berserk chasing the thing around the yard...Its worthy of a youtube video!

Submariner
02-16-13, 11:09
Now, how to add after-market accessories to turn it into a drone....

trio
02-16-13, 11:16
My boys were given a set for Christmas

They have lasers and a sensor so you can basically play laser tag with them

Shoot the other copters sensor and it auto-rotates and lands

krm375
02-16-13, 13:37
http://www.spyhawkfpv.com/collections/all/products/hubsan-spyhawk-fpv-plane

I was looking at the hell, but cam across this, your own personal real time UAV

Magic_Salad0892
02-16-13, 13:45
There you go again Magic. First you messed with Boba Fett and Star Wars. Now you dishonor me with dissing Terminator. :nono:

I will meet you at noon with my dueling 'assault' pistol box. ;)

-Jax

Don't **** with me. It's almost noon, and I have assault clips.

Hmac
02-16-13, 14:09
I've had an AR Drone for a couple of years. Fly it indoors or outside with iPad or iPhone. It's a hoot.

http://ardrone2.parrot.com/media/uploads/where-to-buy/ardrone-2-buy-shop.jpg

Magic_Salad0892
02-16-13, 14:13
^

Where can I buy one?

Hmac
02-16-13, 14:22
http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-AR-Drone-Quadricopter-Controlled-Android/dp/B007HZLLOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361045810&sr=8-1&keywords=ar+drone

ALCOAR
03-02-13, 04:37
Honestly I thought nobody responded to this thread....but this little heli has no shit taken over my life for two weeks.

After the fourth day of flying....and easily 100 + crashes, I finally broke the upper head/hub, along with one of the top blades (the little plastic pin that fits into the head/hub broke).

So I almost ordered the CNC hop up parts not wanting to buy many more parts in the future for this bird, but then realized that there's no way in hell I can stop with literally the trainer model. There's a whole world of badass micro heli stuff out there.

Anyway, just ordered the stock replacement parts...top blades/bottom blades (glow in the dark like a boss:cool:), upper head/hub, and then a replacement stock battery from Horizonhobby.com, and got it all for around $20 shipped. They shipped fast as hell, had great prices, and great web details/info. I'm gonna most likely buy my second heli from them.

These things are f**king awesome!

I've been wanting to get one so I can mess with my cat. Lol

My cat doesn't even know how to respond yet....so freaking awesome playing with him with this micro heli.

Is that the rtf?

It was the RTF package.

Hmac.....awesome to hear that you have that particular drone. I'm gonna pull the trigger on that model most likely down the road. Has so many neat features.