PDA

View Full Version : A2 detachable carry handle

wild_wild_wes
02-15-13, 23:00
Do A2 removable carry handles have cross bolts that engage in the picatinny slots?

RMiller
02-15-13, 23:02
Yes sir.

wild_wild_wes
02-16-13, 00:52
I've never had one, but my friend brought his new AR shooting for the first time, and his had none, and the shots refused to group when we tried to zero it...I thought it was odd. The AR was a Stag, I thought those had a good rep.

ColtSeavers
02-16-13, 01:01
Nevermind.

Seagunner
02-16-13, 01:05
You didn't see Stags rep being good on this board. Not as a serious use rifle anyway.:stop:

wild_wild_wes
02-16-13, 01:26
My mistake! I'm an AR snob, and stay on the top end when it comes to gear, so I never really paid attention to brands like Stag.

My friend wouldn't listen to me when I tried to guide him in his first AR purchase; he wanted one that looked "neat", and so bought an A4, thinking it was an A2. He didn't know about the removable carry handle I think, but he's exited that he can put a "scope" on it someday...

I've been shooting ARs for over 30 years, and I'm afraid I don't have much patience for a noob who won't listen, so I'm just going let him find his own way on this.

RMiller
02-16-13, 04:20
Most I've dealt with were Colt and armalite. They have cross bolts.

sdelam
02-16-13, 07:04
Even UTG's have crossbolts.

wahoo95
02-16-13, 08:16
Stags/CMT have crossbolts too

"If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough"

T2C
02-16-13, 08:22
Do A2 removable carry handles have cross bolts that engage in the picatinny slots?

Yes they do. Why do you ask?

samuse
02-16-13, 08:25
I don't see how it could have a nut without a bolt...

Campbell
02-16-13, 08:31
^^^^ Thats what had me scratching my head....

Burls
02-16-13, 12:16
I've never had one, but my friend brought his new AR shooting for the first time, and his had none, and the shots refused to group when we tried to zero it...I thought it was odd. The AR was a Stag, I thought those had a good rep.

I have a Stag model 1 with carrying hand and have never had a problem with zeroing it. My stag has never given me any problems.

wesessiah
02-16-13, 12:22
was it nib when he got it, or new to him?

Yes they do. Why do you ask?

he stated in the second post because his friend's doesn't.

T2C
02-16-13, 13:23
An A4 should shoot just fine if the carry handle is securely attached.

wild_wild_wes
02-16-13, 22:09
Just got some more info. My friend said the store told him they put the carry handle from his gun on another one going out the door, and put another one on his before he picked it up. I guess he got hosed. I will tell him about it, but I'm not sure what he'll do about it.

I don't see how it could have a nut without a bolt...

The cross-bolts barely protrude across the bottom surface of the unit, and are just round bolts anyway. I'm sure its some Chinese piece of shit, or even airsoft.

wild_wild_wes
02-16-13, 22:22
An A4 should shoot just fine if the carry handle is securely attached.

I don't think so. There is nothing to stop it shifting back from the recoil except the side clamps.

wild_wild_wes
02-16-13, 22:24
was it nib when he got it, or new to him?

NIB...supposedly.

matemike
02-16-13, 22:32
I'm baffled, how does it mount at all without bolts going from one side to the other, across the rail slots?

Is it just a nut tightening down the clamp on only one side?

Quentin
02-16-13, 23:42
Just got some more info. My friend said the store told him they put the carry handle from his gun on another one going out the door, and put another one on his before he picked it up. I guess he got hosed. I will tell him about it, but I'm not sure what he'll do about...

Well if it was NIB he should take back the crap carry handle and demand the right one. Or better yet a good flip-up rear.

wild_wild_wes
02-17-13, 00:00
I'm baffled, how does it mount at all without bolts going from one side to the other, across the rail slots?

Is it just a nut tightening down the clamp on only one side?

No, there are two cross bolts that go from one side to the other, but they slighty come through the bottom of the handle. Bad machining, maybe...think of it as approximately 2mm diameter channels being drilled 1.5mm from the bottom of the base.

I remember the base was marked with the manufacturer, and I will e-mail my friend and ask what the name is.

T2C
02-17-13, 08:19
A picture is worth 1,000 words.

NYH1
02-17-13, 19:21
A picture is worth 1,000 words.
Yup, it would be nice to see a picture.

My Stag model 1 has been great. I zeroed it with the removable carry handle. Took it off, zeroed a scope. I've switched back and forth, the rail is great. I'm gonna setup my Colt the same way, carry handle, Aimpoint and scope.

NYH1.

wild_wild_wes
02-19-13, 17:47
Turns out he didn't get a complete rifle. Lower is Stag, but who knows what the uppper is.

CH is American Tactical. Anyone ever heard of them?