PDA

View Full Version : BCM barrells (ION coated vs. not)

C4vettrn
02-16-13, 13:38
Hey guys, new to the thread and wanted to get anyones opinion on the coated BCM barrells. Are they Match Grade? Need Pro's/Con's and is it a must have upgrade for $60? Also they don't list any weights. and that is somthing I will pay close attention to. If i can build a 20" in the same weight i.e. fluted, for not much more I may go that route. Also is the 1/8 twist a good compimise for bullet weights? This is my first build and leaning more towards a precision build vs.CQB.

Other choices are WOA, Raniere Ultra Match and Noveske

Thanks! P.S. great site with great info!

samuse
02-16-13, 13:53
Do you want a black barrel or a silver one?

There's no definition of 'Match Grade'.

I shoot a lot of CQB type matches and accuracy is not a very big factor. There's some 3-gun matches that get out there to 3-400+ yards that I would not be able to be competitive in... So it just depends on what you think you want/need.

WOA, Rainier and Noveske all make great barrels, can't go wrong with any of 'em as far as I know. 1/8 will stabilize pretty much anything up to 77 grains AFAIK. Maybe more, but you may run into OAL too long for a magazine.

C4vettrn
02-16-13, 20:04
Ok, how about are they capable of sub MOA with good ammo? does anyone know who's blanks they use? last question are they comparable to the others listed above i.e. WOA, Raniere ulta match and Noveske

thehun
02-16-13, 22:03
If you want sub-moa precision...its called a bolt gun

Koshinn
02-16-13, 22:24
Ok, how about are they capable of sub MOA with good ammo? does anyone know who's blanks they use? last question are they comparable to the others listed above i.e. WOA, Raniere ulta match and Noveske

It's a trade secret on who makes bcm barrels, but they are made to bcm specs so they're good to go. I think Rainier has the best value in accuracy.

How 90s of you. The AR platform is definitely capable of sub moa performance. Especially with modern barrels and free float tubes.

gbatch
02-17-13, 00:20
I'm told that Noveske and Rainier are as good as it gets.

Dave L.
02-17-13, 00:34

Absolute bullshit. Let me guess, you are a Firearms Sales Associate at the local guns store.

Brahmzy
02-17-13, 02:07
THIS (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=b-20-556&cat=158&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=) is good for sub half-MOA with hand loads.

Darn near every LaRue rifle that rolls out is a tested/proven sub-MOA gun.

justin_247
02-17-13, 03:19
There are numerous manufacturers who make barrels for ARs that should result in sub-MOA precision if configured correctly and put into the proper hands.

Noveske, WOA, Krieger, LaRue, Black Hole Weaponry, LMT, BCM, Rainier, Lothar-Walther, Douglas, Centurion, etc. are all companies who either source or produce such barrels.

txbonds
02-17-13, 04:07
THIS (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=b-20-556&cat=158&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=) is good for sub half-MOA with hand loads.

Darn near every LaRue rifle that rolls out is a tested/proven sub-MOA gun.

At 53oz I'd hate to have to hump that sucker around but I bet it makes a nice long distance shooter.

Travis B
02-17-13, 07:55
My Rainier match barrel will shoot sub moa with the right shooter and right ammo. Depending on how you'll deploy the rifle, you probably won't notice the accuracy difference in a bcm, Rainier or noveske match barrel. Can you perform as well as the barrel can shoot?

The Rainier barrel is a 1-8 and handles 75gr with ease.

T2C
02-17-13, 08:56
A lot of high power shooters use White Oak Armament barrels, because they are very accurate. Sub MOA groups with the right ammunition are the norm.

polymorpheous
02-17-13, 09:37
BCM SS410 barrels are Kreiger Criterion barrels.

I don't know of any other manufacturer that produces 410 stainless barrels in 1/8 that is hand lead lapped.

Kreiger is also a stones throw from BCM.

warner41
02-17-13, 11:22
I obviously love BCM stuff but the 410SS barrels are lights out, I know that Noveske, Rainier and WOA are also very tight shooting tubes given the proper load and trigger man. All are very capable of sub MOA.

C4vettrn
02-18-13, 14:19
Ok I have it down to Ranier Ultramatch and WOA. I am waiting on a e-mail for Ranier. I hate doing buisness that way. I am looking at the 18" midweight or SPR (not sure of diffrence) they seem realy similar in contour. The WOA I can get Mid or rifle gas system and the Ranier is a intermediate. Not sure what the benefit of intermediate is, can somone school me on this? Of all three which makes the most scense for target/varmit shooting? Thanks

Tzook
02-18-13, 14:30
I had a 16" WOA that was outstanding for me. You definitely can't go wrong with them.