PDA

View Full Version : I DID IT !!!

JOHNNY51966
02-16-13, 17:59
I did it guys.... I just purchased mt GLOCK 19 GEN 4...
I will be picking it up Thursday and I am chomping at the bit. My wife is pulling on the reins. I can't wait to get it to the range and put a few hundred rounds through her. :dance3:

I need some recommendations of goodies to add on.

This will be mine and my wifes fun at the range gun. Joing the Colt Commander XSE, Springfield XDs, and her Colt New Agent.:dirol:

Littlelebowski
02-16-13, 18:07
Add on good sights and a training class.

Packman73
02-16-13, 18:11
Congrats. I'm fairly new to Glocks but I put on an extended slide release, grip plug, 3.5# connector and night sights on my gen 4 G17 and gen 2 G19s.

Hmac
02-16-13, 18:13
I wouldn't add anything until you have gone out and shot the gun enough to know what you need or want.

ETA: except a holster...

theblackknight
02-16-13, 18:21
here's a online shot timer, start breaking that trigger in.
http://www.predatortactical.com/cart.php?m=knowledgebase_detail&id=5

I'll second sights, but until then, sharpie out the white on the rear sight and it wont be that bad.

Also KIM that the backstrap that feels good in your hand might not be the one you shoot best with.

GO!

jmnielsen
02-16-13, 18:31
I'll second sights, but until then, sharpie out the white on the rear sight and it wont be that bad.

I've heard of that. Does it just help focus on the front sight more?

Vash1023
02-16-13, 18:38
heres a little trick i used when training for USPSA production

download a shot timer app on your spartphone, and get a belt clip for it...

they u can use you cell phone as a shot timer, i usually took a screen shot if my times were good and send it to a friend to inspire some healthy competition.

thopkins22
02-16-13, 18:43
here's a online shot timer, start breaking that trigger in.
http://www.predatortactical.com/cart.php?m=knowledgebase_detail&id=5

This is awesome. Thank you!

yellow50
02-16-13, 18:52
that shot timer link is great. Thanks.

AR Newby AZ
02-16-13, 18:54
Congrats!!

But the first time I read it initially thought you meant you were going to put a few hundred rounds into your wife.

theblackknight
02-16-13, 19:59
I've heard of that. Does it just help focus on the front sight more?

Yes, for the large majority of skilled shooters who sight focus, a blank rear(not counting trit inserts) is standard as you cant focus on only 1 thing at differing distances. Most sight sets made by rippin shooters that arnt black on black have something out front, white dot, fiber dot, brass dot, luminescent dot whatevs. It helps draw your eye to the top of the sight itself for precision aiming, or you can just track the blurry dot itself for close in shooting. Even shooters who run a VTAC style sight set up with rear fiber dots might use a different color or black out the top so its dim in light.

All the shoot timer apps for android are terrible, most dont even have true seconds when compared to a real timer, so the par functions are useless. I here the surefiyah one for iphone works good enough for 20 dolla.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

JOHNNY51966
02-16-13, 20:06
Yeah ARnewby I might need to edit that... I meant through the new Glock not the wife... :stop:

Great advice guys I am going to try the timers and other trainers.

Atlshaun
02-16-13, 20:58
Thx for posting that timer.

Sooie
02-18-13, 00:18
Sights, mags, and ammo.

The only accessories I ever reccomend.

tha101
02-18-13, 06:45
Sights, mags, and ammo.

The only accessories I ever reccomend.

What he said. Start looking around for mags especially.

Hmac
02-18-13, 06:59
Yes, for the large majority of skilled shooters who sight focus, a blank rear(not counting trit inserts) is standard as you cant focus on only 1 thing at differing distances

I've seen handguns (my M&P) whose stock sights have a disparity between POI with three-dots lined up vs top of front sight blade lined up with top of rear sight.

djmorris
02-18-13, 07:12
Ammo and night sights.

twistedcomrade
02-18-13, 08:09
Ammo and night sights.

That pretty much sums it up.

lee84101
02-18-13, 09:52
Congrats on your new purchase

Sights, ammo, mags(if you can find any) and training. At least try that before investing in a bunch of crap you dont need.

D. Christopher
02-18-13, 14:04
Step 1: TRAINING!

Get good training regarding gun safety with that weapon first. Master it inside and out, every single part. Don't change a single part until you know WHY you are changing it and if you really need to.

You have purchased one of the most reliable pistols available. It is very easy to make it less reliable with modifications and parts changes, particularly if you don't understand the implications and possible consequences of those changes.

It's a tool not a toy, don't listen to recommendations to start changing multiple parts before you've broken it in and understand what works FOR YOU. And these days I would encourage being patient when it comes to magazines and ammo. Don't compromise safety by buying cheap brands of ammo or reloads. This may mean you won't get to shoot much for a while or it may be very expensive if you can find good ammo.

And magazine problems are the most common source of reliability issues. Be patient, buy Glock magazines, and don't try to cut corners with other brands. It's just not worth the risk.

Stay safe and enjoy it in good health.

10-76
02-19-13, 15:55
Congrats!

500 rds of 124 gr. to go please!

You'll like it.

WickedWillis
02-19-13, 16:11
New sights, preferably night sights. Training, good defense ammo. And enjoy the hell out of it!

Moltke
02-19-13, 16:15
I've seen handguns (my M&P) whose stock sights have a disparity between POI with three-dots lined up vs top of front sight blade lined up with top of rear sight.

It really pays to know your gun/sights, POA and POI. OP, make note of this and take the time to learn yours.

JOHNNY51966
02-21-13, 15:17
Picked up the G19 today. Got her home cleaned her up with alcohol and frog lubed her. Saturday Ill be at the range and put a couple hundred rounds down range and should have a report Sunday or Monday. :D

smoky
02-22-13, 02:45
Good find, especially during these times.

I would suggest night sights as soon as possible. If you have trouble hitting the mag release, an extended mag release would be well worth the consideration.

JOHNNY51966
02-25-13, 19:25
Finally got the G19 to the range Saturday. My wife and I ran about 150 rounds through the gun with several different types of fmj ammo. We did have a couple of FTF with the gun. I also had one round get caught in the slide and really got beaten up by the slide. Ive never seen that before. All in all the gun ran good and very accurate. Years ago I had a gen 1 G19 and loved it. This model was just as nice and maybe a little less recoil but I would have had to have the other one for side by side test. I believe this will be a nice addition to the family..