PDA

View Full Version : Nat. Geo. 'Inside Combat Rescue' New Show

Jellybean
02-16-13, 23:49
It seems national Geographic has a new show coming out featuring some PJ's called Inside Combat Rescue. Looks good from the commercial;

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/inside-combat-rescue/videos/inside-combat-rescue-trailer/

Wish I actually had that channel.... :mad:

CLHC
02-16-13, 23:50
Thanks for the heads up! Looking forward to it.

Moose-Knuckle
02-17-13, 03:38
Yes, thanks for the heads up I will set the DVR.

Voodoochild
02-17-13, 10:43
I saw the previews and it looks good. Those guys are very impressive.

Magic_Salad0892
02-17-13, 13:40
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/inside-combat-rescue/videos/fire-suppression-training/

Those guys are great.

jaxman7
02-17-13, 13:52
Let's hope they don't do combat reenactments with overtly fake AKs and ARs as they have done in the past.

Looking forward to watching it regardless.

-Jax

PlatoCATM
02-17-13, 13:58
The CSAF actually sent an email announcement out about this so it must be pretty so it must be good material.

C-grunt
02-17-13, 14:26
I'm glad the DOCs are getting some recognition for their hard work. Not just PJs but all medics.

kmrtnsn
02-17-13, 14:47
I believe that this is the show that had a helicopter crash this week with three fatalities and the loss of a OH-58. It may never air at all.

Magic_Salad0892
02-17-13, 14:49
I believe that this is the show that had a helicopter crash this week with three fatalities and the loss of a Huey. It may never air at all.

Are you sure?

I really hope not. Mostly so that those dudes'll be safe.

kmrtnsn
02-17-13, 14:53
Here is the news report,

ACTON, Calif. (KABC) -- The three people killed in a helicopter crash on the Polsa Rosa Ranch in Acton were identified Monday.

Michael William Donatelli, 45, of Indiana, Pa., Darren Arthur Rydstrom, 46, of Whittier, and David Gene Gibbs, 59, of Valencia, were killed when the chopper went down early Sunday morning while filming a new reality show, which has not yet aired or been announced. The show is an untitled military-themed program for Discovery Channel......

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=8989203

CLHC
02-17-13, 14:58
Here is the news report,

ACTON, Calif. (KABC) -- The three people killed in a helicopter crash on the Polsa Rosa Ranch in Acton were identified Monday.

Michael William Donatelli, 45, of Indiana, Pa., Darren Arthur Rydstrom, 46, of Whittier, and David Gene Gibbs, 59, of Valencia, were killed when the chopper went down early Sunday morning while filming a new reality show, which has not yet aired or been announced. The show is an untitled military-themed program for Discovery Channel......

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=8989203
That is tragic indeed. But the show linked above is for and on the National Geographic Channel. Not sure if DC and NGC are affiliated.

kmrtnsn
02-17-13, 14:59
I did some digging and it is a different show. Show cast member Michael Donatelli, a former U.S. Army Special Forces soldier was killed with the pilot and a cameraman when the ship impacted the ground.

Magic_Salad0892
02-17-13, 15:03
Wow. It's sad anyway. I don't care if they were in a show.

If I flew a flag, I'd put it at half mass.

jpmuscle
02-17-13, 18:26
Wow. It's sad anyway. I don't care if they were in a show.

If I flew a flag, I'd put it at half mass.

Ill second this.

As for the Nat Geo show, nice to see programming worth watching for a change.

Army Chief
02-17-13, 20:24
Definitely two different shows; especially since the Air Force doesn't operate Kiowa Warriors like the one I presume was mentioned in the announcement. That's a Cav platform -- and all Army.

AC

kmrtnsn
02-17-13, 20:25
Definitely two different shows; especially since the Air Force doesn't operate Kiowa Warriors like the one I presume was mentioned in the announcement. That's a Cav platform -- and all Army.

AC

Damn good to see you!

Moose-Knuckle
02-18-13, 00:54

AC

Good to see you posting again Chief!

SteyrAUG
02-18-13, 01:30
Damn good to see you!

****ing A.

wild_wild_wes
02-18-13, 01:41
When is this show on? I keep forgetting to set my DVR.

CLHC
02-18-13, 01:48
When is this show on? I keep forgetting to set my DVR.
The debut is tomorrow evening. Series on Mondays.

chuckman
02-18-13, 04:48
Got the DVR set. Six episodes, should be good. Those guys are probably the most misunderstood and best trained (subjective, I know). I have had the pleasure with working with a few and they are seriously locked on.

Razorhunter
02-18-13, 08:30
I've worked with quite a few PJ's , and they really are true warriors who don't often get the credit they deserve. Hope this show does them right.

munch520
02-18-13, 09:46
DVR is set - hope Nat Geo does them justice.

SteyrAUG
02-18-13, 15:27
DVR is set - hope Nat Geo does them justice.

Just so long as it is better than Preppers.

GeorgiaBoy
02-18-13, 21:20
Looks pretty good so far. Really good footage.

Unfortunatly, Nat Geo's utter disgrace of a movie, ST6: The Raid on OBL comes on right after. :bad:

wild_wild_wes
02-18-13, 21:24
Unfortunatly, Nat Geo's utter disgrace of a movie, ST6: The Raid on OBL comes on right after. :bad:

The ST6 raid movie was on before, too. Let's just say they were fellatiating Obama pretty hot and heavy.

I missed the first part and was going to record it, but the end has so much of O's "I- me - me-" that I said **** that and took it off my record list. Fitchner from Blackhawk down was in it, but after Zero Dark Thirty, it just came off as lame.

wild_wild_wes
02-18-13, 21:25
Looks pretty good so far. Really good footage.

It's excellent so far.

CLHC
02-18-13, 21:34
Set for 10:00 PM here!

munch520
02-18-13, 21:51
It's excellent so far.

Jesus. Yeah, I've been on the edge of my seat, wife just gave me shit for biting my nails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GeorgiaBoy
02-18-13, 22:00
I like how they really capture the raw emotion expressed by the troops. Its not just about the action, its about the people behind it and how what they do affects them. Gives a new angle of warfare not usually seen for viewers.

A+ show.

munch520
02-18-13, 22:02
Yeah impossible to appreciate what they go through, but this seems to be a great look at what comprises their service/sacrifice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shokr21
02-18-13, 22:09
Thought it was an excellent show. Took me right back to messing around with my buddies during down time and getting in business mode when it was time.

Two parts I really enjoyed
1. When the pj held the balloon over his buddies head, who knifed it not knowing that it was full of water. Awesome prank

2. When the SOF medic was loaded up and his brothers told the pj's to "take care of him, he's a good dude". That might seem simple and the logical thing to say, but the tone got me thinking about all my buddies I served with.

I'll be putting this show on the DVR for sure

Jer
02-19-13, 00:41
Thought it was an excellent show. Took me right back to messing around with my buddies during down time and getting in business mode when it was time.

Two parts I really enjoyed
1. When the pj held the balloon over his buddies head, who knifed it not knowing that it was full of water. Awesome prank

2. When the SOF medic was loaded up and his brothers told the pj's to "take care of him, he's a good dude". That might seem simple and the logical thing to say, but the tone got me thinking about all my buddies I served with.

I'll be putting this show on the DVR for sure

Agreed on #2 man. That part got to me.

SteyrAUG
02-19-13, 01:03
Was a good show.

Compared to the absolute crap on NatGeo it was the best show ever made. But I really wasn't blown away by it. I fully appreciate what those guys are doing, I know I couldn't do it and I'm glad they are getting their due, but I just think it's only a decent show and the bar is really low so it makes it stand out.

Maybe after a few more episodes I'll get into it more.

ETA: The part with the medic asking for pain killers and stately plainly "I know what is going on right now" was pretty serious. That guy had to be in incredible pain and he's keeping it together and staying lucid so he can try and get help. Bet lots of guys owe their life to somebody who can keep it together like that.

NinjaMedic
02-19-13, 01:10
Great footage, the narration bugs me from the medical side (e.g. cant give pain meds because of his pressure but they actually gave him Fentanyl) and they edit the audio out of sync occasionally (e.g. you hear the doctor ask him a question but the video shows him intubated and being ventilated).

All in all I think its a very unique presentation compared to what we normally see put out, if only because of the sheer number of Contour Cameras they have running on each mission. If you have never been exposed to trauma victims I would highly encourage you watch it.

Shotdown
02-19-13, 02:08
Anyone have a link to watch it online?

markm
02-19-13, 07:56
Caught the tail end of it last night. I really want a Blackhawk or a Pavehawk now... Seems like a great way to make a grand entrance. :p

munch520
02-19-13, 08:26
the narration bugs me from the medical side (e.g. cant give pain meds because of his pressure but they actually gave him Fentanyl) and they edit the audio out of sync occasionally (e.g. you hear the doctor ask him a question but the video shows him intubated and being ventilated).

:cool: you are all alike! My mom (anesthetist and fmr care flight nurse) was over helping with the baby, she was tuned in and saying the same things as you.

vaglocker
02-19-13, 08:39
Was a good show.
ETA: The part with the medic asking for pain killers and stately plainly "I know what is going on right now" was pretty serious. That guy had to be in incredible pain and he's keeping it together and staying lucid so he can try and get help. Bet lots of guys owe their life to somebody who can keep it together like that.

I thought that as well. Unbelievable composure from that dude. I'm not a super sentimental kind of guy but i think i got something in my eye when his buddies were kissing him goodbye before they took off on the heli.

C4IGrant
02-19-13, 08:40
Enjoyed the show. Wife even watched it.

C4

SteyrAUG
02-26-13, 20:51
So I caught episode one finally. The show does grow on you. Revising my original opinion upward, really good show. I'll be watching it.

Army Chief
02-26-13, 20:59
Saw episode 2, and as a Blackhawk pilot myself, I have to commend NatGeo for their production values and approach. Definitely captured the human element of combat in a way that is only rarely seen outside of uniform. Will watch again. If nothing else, we need to see and be reminded that there are still some great Americans out there.

AC

obucina
02-26-13, 21:20
Unfortunately, I dont have NatGeo...yet. But, I did happen upon Glory Hounds on Animal Planet, which I found to be quite interesting.

I caught an episode that was embedded with a group of soldiers and an AF K-9 tasked with sniffing out IEDs. It definately isnt a recreation as the Airman with the dog was hit by an IED and medevac'd.

SWATcop556
02-26-13, 21:21
If nothing else, we need to see and be reminded that there are still some great Americans out there.

AC

Include yourself in that group my friend.

RE the show its a good one and I'll be watching the series. Glad NatGeo didn't screw the pooch with it.

Ironman8
02-26-13, 21:31
Include yourself in that group my friend.

RE the show its a good one and I'll be watching the series. Glad NatGeo didn't screw the pooch with it.

Exactly my thoughts as well.

Great to see you post AC! (Isn't it past your bedtime? :D)

seb5
02-26-13, 21:50
Excellent show, my wife even watched this week with me. She kind of recoiled when she realized about all of the patients are IED victims. I'm getting ready for another deployment as a CSE commander in a few months. She hates the idea of it. I like the idea that guys like the ones on the show are there if needed.

SeriousStudent
02-26-13, 21:56
It is an excellent show. The warriors on the "Pedro" crews are doing wonderful, selfless work.

So many men owe their lives to them, it's very humbling to think about.

I had the opportunity to work with PJ's several times when I was on active duty. Very professional, and very humble. And it was really, really hard for them to pay for their own beers when there was an aviator nearby.

I'll echo the other's posts. AC, I'm delighted to see you posting in this thread, and that you are able to enjoy the show. My very best wishes to you and your family.

SteyrAUG
02-27-13, 00:04
I did have a problem with the fact that they do the same for members of the Afghan army, especially with the highlighted reports of members of that same army ambushing our guys when they get the opportunity despite the fact that we are supposedly on the same side.

I understand the hearts and minds element of this, but it still doesn't sit well with me. I think there is way too much risk and too little reward.

chuckman
02-27-13, 04:33
I did have a problem with the fact that they do the same for members of the Afghan army, especially with the highlighted reports of members of that same army ambushing our guys when they get the opportunity despite the fact that we are supposedly on the same side.

I understand the hearts and minds element of this, but it still doesn't sit well with me. I think there is way too much risk and too little reward.

Not hearts and minds, but an ethical obligation. When I was a corpsman, or a paramedic, or now as a nurse I don't judge the patients before me (well, OK, I do, we all do to some extent), you treat the patient. I do recall these feeling of when I was a corpsman, however, of why should I treat someone who may well try to kill me next week? It's a dilemma.

I really enjoy the show, liked the second episode more than the first. "Leroy Jenkins" is my new battle cry.

Magic_Salad0892
02-27-13, 05:02
Is it on Netflix?

SteyrAUG
02-27-13, 11:46
Not hearts and minds, but an ethical obligation. When I was a corpsman, or a paramedic, or now as a nurse I don't judge the patients before me (well, OK, I do, we all do to some extent), you treat the patient. I do recall these feeling of when I was a corpsman, however, of why should I treat someone who may well try to kill me next week? It's a dilemma.

I really enjoy the show, liked the second episode more than the first. "Leroy Jenkins" is my new battle cry.

This isn't a matter of refusing to treat a man because he is black or even Afghan. It is a question of treating a man who may be the enemy and putting high value personnel into high risk situations which may have been created for a suicide bomber opportunity.

When they grabbed the one Afghan soldier the guy in the red shirt kept trying to get on the bird with him. Now I'm sure everyone can relate to "I want to go with my buddy" but now these guys have to be on guard to not let a bomb on board.

It's an entirely ****ed up situation that I believe involves far too much risk for far too little reward. We don't have enough men such as these that we can afford to lose them.

Shokr21
02-27-13, 12:15
I agree, Steyr.

The other afghans shouldn't have been allowed within 100m of that bird.

El Pistolero
02-27-13, 12:23
The short clips on the NatGeo site look really good, is there a way to view the full episodes online?

gan1hck
02-27-13, 12:32
One of the guys that I work with was at the base during the filming on the series.

He was filmed quite a bit, so I'll be looking for him...hope he doesn't get cut.

I asked about the rescue work that was going on there...his observation was that actually most of the SAR work was being done by the army guys and not the PJ's....

I guess PJ's are sexier on TV than regular army SAR guys.

chuckman
02-27-13, 12:52
This isn't a matter of refusing to treat a man because he is black or even Afghan. It is a question of treating a man who may be the enemy and putting high value personnel into high risk situations which may have been created for a suicide bomber opportunity.

When they grabbed the one Afghan soldier the guy in the red shirt kept trying to get on the bird with him. Now I'm sure everyone can relate to "I want to go with my buddy" but now these guys have to be on guard to not let a bomb on board.

It's an entirely ****ed up situation that I believe involves far too much risk for far too little reward. We don't have enough men such as these that we can afford to lose them.

I think I misread you. Good copy and concur.

chuckman
02-27-13, 12:56
I asked about the rescue work that was going on there...his observation was that actually most of the SAR work was being done by the army guys and not the PJ's....

So far no real SAR work, just casevac. I would like to see some of their SAR work, where they are real studs...

Still, solid dudes, good skills.

munch520
02-27-13, 14:50
The short clips on the NatGeo site look really good, is there a way to view the full episodes online?

The first full episode is on YouTube

ETA
EP1http://youtu.be/8Rc4_2_YXuw
EP2http://youtu.be/JobWQp1BjV8

a0cake
02-27-13, 15:13
Always loved having PJ's around for high-risk operations. Just knowing in the back of your mind that there are two HH-60's staged on the pad full of PJ's ready to go is enough to still any uneasiness you might feel about a particular mission.

I don't want to tell war stories on the internet but I've seen these guys do incredible things to get our guys into surgery at great risk to their own life, limb, and aircraft. I have a video somewhere of one of their HH's coming into a hot LZ and turning a woodline into scunion with a .50 cal while the pilot hovered calmly under dense enemy small arms. I'l see if I can dig it up.

El Pistolero
02-27-13, 16:18
The first full episode is on YouTube

ETA
EP1http://youtu.be/8Rc4_2_YXuw
EP2http://youtu.be/JobWQp1BjV8

Awesome! Doesn't get any easier than that, thank you.

TehLlama
02-28-13, 12:40
Those cats are rock starts in my book already - here's hoping...
they don't do combat reenactments with overtly fake AKs and ARs as they have done in the past.

El Pistolero
03-11-13, 20:23
Just FYI, here's episode 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7C-4P1H0yg

VooDoo6Actual
03-12-13, 00:16
Good to see you back AC

Welcome back to the jungle

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-12-13, 06:51
Great show. The first episode when the Green Beret's were kissing their injured team member's forehead before they flew him off was quite humbling. Add to that him asking to be knocked out because the pain was so bad and it's hard to not get a little bit misty eyed.

Watrdawg
03-12-13, 07:24
Those guys do good work!!

Shokr21
03-12-13, 10:02
Is it just me or does anyone else get pissed when the guys on the ground are playing ****-**** games when the injured need to get loaded up and get flying?!

Seems like the pj's are always searching a haji before he gets on the bird (ground unit could do that, unless not available in which case I completely understand the necessity). When the pj's have to ask who the medic is or what the info is.

It was just drilled into us exactly what we needed to give the flight medics if we needed to do a medivac.

It seems like they waste a lot of time on the ground, but I've never been involved in a no shit medivac, so I could be wrong and would like to be educated.

obucina
03-12-13, 12:37
Just FYI, here's episode 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7C-4P1H0yg

i dont have nat geo, but can pull this up on the youtube app on my appletv. big thanks:)

i assume this is the most current episode?

AKDoug
03-12-13, 17:30
I enjoy the show. I have to watch it when the wife is not around. She's still emotional from her brother getting blown up in A-stan 6 years ago (he's lived and will retire from the Army this year). I was an EMT in a rural area with one hour+ transports, so I really admire what these guys get done in difficult conditions.

El Pistolero
03-12-13, 18:38
i dont have nat geo, but can pull this up on the youtube app on my appletv. big thanks:)

i assume this is the most current episode?

I'm not sure what the most current episode is as I also don't have Nat Geo, heck I don't even own a TV so I've only been watching the episodes on YT.

I did find episode 4 though so here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le1QM1PMXxg

SeriousStudent
03-12-13, 19:16

Seems like the pj's are always searching a haji before he gets on the bird (ground unit could do that, unless not available in which case I completely understand the necessity). .......

"I thought you searched him."

"I didn't search him, I thought you searched him."

Then a grenade goes off in the cockpit, and everyone's day is ruined.

Not hating on you. Just pointing out that I'd probably give the guy a rectal exam and a polygraph before he got on the same bird as me.

NeoNeanderthal
03-12-13, 19:21
Pretty cool to see them using chest darts and seals as well as tourniquets. Id like to see them put in a nasal airway.

(after reading my post, i do fully understand that it may sound strange)

gan1hck
03-12-13, 19:52
Pretty cool to see them using chest darts and seals as well as tourniquets. Id like to see them put in a nasal airway.

(after reading my post, i do fully understand that it may sound strange)

too bad they were doing most of that stuff inappropriately.

Mjolnir
03-12-13, 20:57
It seems national Geographic has a new show coming out featuring some PJ's called Inside Combat Rescue. Looks good from the commercial;

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/inside-combat-rescue/videos/inside-combat-rescue-trailer/

Wish I actually had that channel.... :mad:

Go to YouTube. Type in the name of the show.

Three episodes can be found there now.

Belmont31R
03-12-13, 21:00
Is it just me or does anyone else get pissed when the guys on the ground are playing ****-**** games when the injured need to get loaded up and get flying?!

Seems like the pj's are always searching a haji before he gets on the bird (ground unit could do that, unless not available in which case I completely understand the necessity). When the pj's have to ask who the medic is or what the info is.

It was just drilled into us exactly what we needed to give the flight medics if we needed to do a medivac.

It seems like they waste a lot of time on the ground, but I've never been involved in a no shit medivac, so I could be wrong and would like to be educated.

"I thought you searched him."

"I didn't search him, I thought you searched him."

Then a grenade goes off in the cockpit, and everyone's day is ruined.

Not hating on you. Just pointing out that I'd probably give the guy a rectal exam and a polygraph before he got on the same bird as me.

That is the gist of it having done security work on the ground. Simply too many people mulling about in an uncontrolled environment, and you don't know how well the other person did their job.

Also, with regards to the confusion, although people get training on it most never do an evac, and it was always my understanding when it comes to the birds you follow their instructions to get on and off. The person taking care of the wounded isn't the one communicating so they are focused on taking care of the wounded, and probably don't have any focus on anything else. So they need someone to tell them the bird is ready, then you need litter bearers, and it's easy to see why it can take a seemingly long time to get someone on. The other soldiers are busy with the locals, and it can just take a couple minutes to get everyone on the same page.

One other comment above was about the SAR vs casevac thing, and there really isn't any big air to ground threat there so rescuing pilots isn't really a hot item for them. This gives them experience, and when it comes to tending to wounded the more assets there the better. And it doesn't really matter if its a pilot behind enemy lines or a grunt who needs care. I am sure those guys just are glad to be in the fight and helping out.

Moose-Knuckle
03-12-13, 21:25
One other comment above was about the SAR vs casevac thing, and there really isn't any big air to ground threat there so rescuing pilots isn't really a hot item for them. This gives them experience, and when it comes to tending to wounded the more assets there the better. And it doesn't really matter if its a pilot behind enemy lines or a grunt who needs care. I am sure those guys just are glad to be in the fight and helping out.

This is my take on the show as well, these PJs are not being used anywhere else and it is real world school of instruction for them. A lot of the guys with Pedro are on their first tour.

Jer
03-13-13, 00:48
Anyone know what the voice says on their alert? Almost sounds like a bad recording of Yosemite Sam or something. It would be cool to know the details behind that rather than some chirp or chime.

Split66
03-13-13, 01:08
Leeroy Jenkins is what it says. It's a World of Warcraft thing, after a couple players start out an elaborate plan to tackle a tough enemy, 1 player of the group decides to just go it alone and run into combat. He screams Leeroy Jenkins, runs in by himself and gets his team killed.

Go to youtube, and search Leeroy Jenkins ( original ).

1:25 is the scream. After watching the vid again there is a good deal of profanity, so I'm not going to post the link as it is NSFW.

:D

I'm really impressed by the show.... well done NatGeo.

Jer
03-13-13, 01:13
Leeroy Jenkins is what it says. It's a World of Warcraft thing, after a couple players start out an elaborate plan to tackle a tough enemy, 1 player of the group decides to just go it alone and run into combat. He screams Leeroy Jenkins, runs in by himself and gets his team killed.

1:25 is the scream. After watching the vid again there is profanity, so I'm not going to post the link as it is NSFW.

Oh mother of god... now I remember where I know that sound from. ROFL :D

Moose-Knuckle
03-13-13, 03:27

1:25 is the scream.

Hah! I knew it had to be a reference to something, just didn't know what, thanks for clearing that one up. Those dudes have a pretty good since of humor. :D

SOWT
03-13-13, 09:41
This is my take on the show as well, these PJs are not being used anywhere else and it is real world school of instruction for them. A lot of the guys with Pedro are on their first tour.

CJTF-HOA has had a PJ presence for a while (no OPSEC here as the AF webpage has run numerous stories regarding the deployment).

They sat on a carrier (?) during Libya (again the AF webpage is my source).

They get a lot of tasking we never hear about, so they are very busy.

I don't think the number of first time deployers is really that high. Guys retire, get out, change career fields etc; so you will always have a number of 1st time deployers on a team.

chuckman
03-13-13, 11:27

This is true. What we see is a very, very small bit of their overall skillset. In the show they have not done anything any different than any ERC nurse or medic or corpsman can do; where they separate the men from the boys is the other stuff that hasn't made it on screen. A-Stan aside, combat aside, the technical rescues they perform on a frequent basis for the civilian sector is very technical and high dangerous.

Moose-Knuckle
03-13-13, 15:04
CJTF-HOA has had a PJ presence for a while (no OPSEC here as the AF webpage has run numerous stories regarding the deployment).

They sat on a carrier (?) during Libya (again the AF webpage is my source).

They get a lot of tasking we never hear about, so they are very busy.

I don't think the number of first time deployers is really that high. Guys retire, get out, change career fields etc; so you will always have a number of 1st time deployers on a team.

According to the show, there have been several of these guys say this is their first deployment. I would hope that we DO NOT hear about their other operations abroad. I remember when I was a kid the first time I heard about the PJs was after the rescue of Capt. Scott F. O'Grady in Bosnia, been fascinated with them and their mission ever since.

chuckman
03-13-13, 15:29
I remember when I was a kid the first time I heard about the PJs was after the rescue of Capt. Scott F. O'Grady in Bosnia, been fascinated with them and their mission ever since.

Is this true? As I recall the rescue element was 3rd batt/8th Marines doing a TRAP. Were there PJ elements as well?

Moose-Knuckle
03-13-13, 15:34
Is this true? As I recall the rescue element was 3rd batt/8th Marines doing a TRAP. Were there PJ elements as well?

Hmm, let me do some fact checking. I was a kid when I read the story.

For now I Googled this.

Interview of Jack Brehm, author of That Others May Live

Q: I know you can't talk about the F-117 Stealth shoot-down in Kosovo, but what about when Scott O'Grady was shot down? That seemed like the classic PJ mission.

A: You're right. I can't say much about the 117 shoot-down. Many, many parts of that are still classified. That was a multi-force task force that went in there. There were PJs on board. In fact, it was a young PJ who actually ran over and made the contact with the pilot and medically treated him and brought him back.

Q: What about Scott O'Grady?

A: That was a whole different scenario. Instead of flying in covert and trying to sneak in, they tried to go in overt in the old-fashioned way and fly two gigantic 53s in there with 25-plus Marines on each bird.

I ass-u-me they went in there with Marines to provide medical though I'm probably incorrect?

chuckman
03-13-13, 15:51
Hmm, let me do some fact checking. I was a kid when I read the story.

For now I Googled this.

Interview of Jack Brehm, author of That Others May Live

I ass-u-me they went in there with Marines to provide medical though I'm probably incorrect?

I would imagine the med folks were corpsman. I do not know where the closest base is to Bosnia with pararescue; I would think Italy. The Kearsarge was off the coast and a TRAP is a MEUSOC mission, though I think while the outcome is the same, the mission profile and TTPs would be vastly different (I do know how the Marines do it, I do not know how the AF would do it). I laughed when you said you were a kid...I was 35 with friends on that float.

Moose-Knuckle
03-13-13, 15:57
I would imagine the med folks were corpsman. I do not know where the closest base is to Bosnia with pararescue; I would think Italy. The Kearsarge was off the coast and a TRAP is a MEUSOC mission, though I think while the outcome is the same, the mission profile and TTPs would be vastly different (I do know how the Marines do it, I do not know how the AF would do it). I laughed when you said you were a kid...I was 35 with friends on that float.

Thanks for the info, yeah in '95 I was a freshman in HS. :dirol:

wild_wild_wes
03-13-13, 21:01
Both Seth and Devin are identified as "Detachment Commander", and Zach as "Battle Captain". Anyone know what's up with that?

wedgehead30
03-15-13, 08:44
Coincidentally I just finished reading Guardian Angel by William Sine. It was a very good read, detailing all of the training these guys go through. They are truly quiet professionals.

Check it out,
Wedge
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xdclG0rkL._SS500_.jpg

SOWT
03-15-13, 14:30

We operated out of Brindisi; The CJSOTF Cdr and MEU Cdr had an agreement that we'd do night missions and TRAP would take daylight missions.

This was a daytime mission, so it went to TRAP.

We had Combat Shadow and PAVE LOWs airborne to assist if needed.

Lucky for us, they were not needed.

El Pistolero
03-26-13, 14:16
For those of you who haven't seen this thread here is a bump with the two latest episodes I could find on YT.

Episode 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6j5fJ4HEVA&feature=youtu.be

Episode 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjkt07Ny_ac&feature=youtu.be

Moose-Knuckle
03-26-13, 14:43
For those of you who haven't seenthis thread here is a bump with the two latest episodes I could find on YT.

Episode 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6j5fJ4HEVA&feature=youtu.be

Episode 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjkt07Ny_ac&feature=youtu.be

The show conluded last night.

The wife could not keep a dry eye as she watched it. She came in on the last episode but is now going to go back and record the previous ones as they re-air.

Damn good show IMHO.

El Pistolero
03-26-13, 15:09
How many episodes total did they air?

Moose-Knuckle
03-26-13, 16:36

A total of six episodes.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/inside-combat-rescue/episode-guide/

SWATcop556
03-26-13, 16:54

I believe six.

MK beat me to it.

Watrdawg
03-26-13, 20:52
Quick question; why do these guys have their mag pouches upside down? I've seen a couple of the guys carriers set up that way.

AKDoug
03-26-13, 21:07
Mag pouches upside down, all using P-mags that I saw, mixture of Aimpoints, Acogs, and Eotechs. Definitely a mixed bag on what those guys used.

Watrdawg
03-26-13, 21:10
Watching episode 6 on youtube now. I saw the mix also and was just wondering what the reason for the upside down mag pouches was. Looks like some of the Eotechs are 512's or similar versions.

Just finished last episode. I hope they shoot another series. Definitely want to see another one.

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
03-27-13, 16:26
Mag pouches upside down, all using P-mags that I saw, mixture of Aimpoints, Acogs, and Eotechs. Definitely a mixed bag on what those guys used.

They were using fast mags. No experience with the rifle versions but the pistol versions are nice. Upside down seems strange and would probably make me OCD about checking the mags constantly to make sure thy don't drop out.

And the last Episode was the saddest frankly although great for the PJs getting to return home.

wild_wild_wes
03-27-13, 18:56
Both Seth and Devin are identified as "Detachment Commander", and Zach as "Battle Captain". Anyone know what's up with that?

Any illuminations?

Ouroborous
03-27-13, 20:57
Just finished last episode. I hope they shoot another series. Definitely want to see another one.

Same here. I'd like to see another season of the PJ's in action. Outstanding first season.

Shokr21
03-27-13, 21:34
Any illuminations?

If I'm remembering correctly the "battle captain" is a term for the officer in charge of an element or space. I think that's the role they play in the Army but I can't remember for sure.

I'm sure a little google-fu could answer, or maybe some AF vets could help us out.