PDA

View Full Version : AAR Feb 16 2013 Pistol class Coshocton Gun Club

C4IGrant
02-17-13, 13:34
I would like to thank the members of the Coshocton Gun Club for inviting me out! Had a good time teaching the class and is always nice to shoot with people interested in learning.

Guns used were the industry standards (Glock and M&P's with one 1911 and one SIG). Had one incident where a G4 G19 was blown up because of an over pressured round (pics to follow). Ammo was Tula. This is the second time I have personally witnessed a problem with Tula. So if you are using this ammo, STOP! :stop:

Class started with introduction, safety lecture and the goals for the class. After that, students found out what it means to deliver (cold) on command (as the opening test was the 10/10/10 drill). No one passed the drill (which is normal). The ability to deliver cold, on command is what it’s all about and why we stress this capability so much.

We immediately rolled into ball and dummy drills and discussed grip, stance and finger position on the trigger. At length, I discussed pressing the trigger flat (especially with Glocks) and why rounds go where they do (cause and effect). More drills shot for time and accuracy (G&R #1, 1-5, KD standards, and a team competition). Tactical reloads and E-Reloads were discussed along with proper draw stroke (open carry and from concealment).

I look forward to shooting with everyone again in the future!

Thanks to Sgt. Watson for being the colorful AI that he is. ;)

C4

4DAIVI PAI2K5
02-17-13, 16:37
Had a great time Grant. Was so close to passing a couple of the ones I failed! Glad I got a couple passed so my buddies can't make fun of me lol. Def. reminded me why I hate the ball and dummy drill so much!!
10-10-10 will be my first drill every range day. As always I'm glad to see yourself and Ben doing the drills.

The Glock def. was something to see. Never seen one in person. Glad Howard was okay.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/adam_parks/VSM%20pistol%201/IMG_3619_zps738f257f.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/adam_parks/VSM%20pistol%201/_MG_3621_zpsdf4c7a9a.jpg

Dollylamma
02-17-13, 16:44
Every time I attend these classes I learn something new. Sgt. Watson and Grant gave some great tips on how to draw from concealment. The ONLY thing I would change is that when firing a drill from concealment is that we don’t do it from the French or carbine position but rather from the position previously discussed. In these classes we get great insight on how to be a better shooter and would recommend them to anyone who wants to get serious about shooting pistols accurately in real world situations. Grant like other VSM instructors, does a good job of creating stress when shooting.

Grant, I would also like to mention the people want the carbine class!!!

C4IGrant
02-17-13, 16:50
Every time I attend these classes I learn something new. Sgt. Watson and Grant gave some great tips on how to draw from concealment. The ONLY thing I would change is that when firing a drill from concealment is that we don’t do it from the French or carbine position but rather from the position previously discussed. In these classes we get great insight on how to be a better shooter and would recommend them to anyone who wants to get serious about shooting pistols accurately in real world situations. Grant like other VSM instructors, does a good job of creating stress when shooting.

Grant, I would also like to mention the people want the carbine class!!!

Look for a carbine class in Spring (April). ;)

Thanks for coming to the class!

C4

4DAIVI PAI2K5
02-17-13, 17:17
Dolly glad you made the switch to a real gun!

Hwilli
02-17-13, 20:02
Grant, I really enjoyed the class. I don't think I have ever had so much fun "failing"

I will definitely be retaking this class in the future, and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to other people.

Howard

Hedgelj
02-17-13, 20:05
Grant,

Thank you very much for the class. I learned a lot and have quite a bit of practice ahead of me to smooth out some of the techniques you showed us in class.

I look forward to training more with you in the future.

Thanks to everyone else who was there, you all were a great group of guys to shoot with and I'm glad I met you all.

Hedgelj
02-17-13, 20:07
Grant, I really enjoyed the class. I don't think I have ever had so much fun "failing"

I will definitely be retaking this class in the future, and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to other people.

Howard

Good point Howard, the level of expectation was definitely set when we got done with the first drill the 10/10/10 drill and Grant looked at Ben and said "did anyone pass?" Ben answered "Nope" and Grant replied "good!"

That being said, I learned more while failing there than I have in a long time while shooting.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
02-17-13, 20:27
Doug I'm glad you had a good experience for your first class.

C4IGrant
02-18-13, 09:18
Good point Howard, the level of expectation was definitely set when we got done with the first drill the 10/10/10 drill and Grant looked at Ben and said "did anyone pass?" Ben answered "Nope" and Grant replied "good!"

That being said, I learned more while failing there than I have in a long time while shooting.

Failing is a great opportunity for both learning and teaching. If everyone had passed that 10/10/10 drill, I would just packed up my bags and gone home (as there would have been little I could have taught you). :D

C4

4DAIVI PAI2K5
02-18-13, 09:44
Failing is a great opportunity for both learning and teaching. If everyone had passed that 10/10/10 drill, I would just packed up my bags and gone home (as there would have been little I could have taught you). :D

C4

I was so close yet so far away on the 10/10/10 lol